Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prescription claim form - what do you do with it?

Options
  • 23-01-2021 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

Hi where could I find info on what my mum needs to do with prescription claim form?

she's an OAP normally gets prescriptions at 1 euro per item she tells me but this wasn't covered....so she thinks she can claim it back if she sends it somewhere?

it was given to her in the chemist it says prescription claim form at the top of it...i was having a hard job explaining to her that doesn't automatically mean you can claim it back but on reflection I realised I don't have a bulls notion either way.

Asked in my local chemist today and the lady at the counter didn't have a clue what you would do with them

can she send it off somewhere or is there an online portal for claims etc...or a set of rules for her situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If it was covered by the medical card she wouldn’t have been charged for it. If she pays paye on a private pension she can claim a percentage back from revenue on certain items via my account online at the end of the year. She’d get whichever rate she pays tax at. If it’s only a few euro it’s hardly worth the hassle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

amacca wrote: »
    she's an OAP normally gets prescriptions at 1 euro per item she tells me but this wasn't covered....so she thinks she can claim it back if she sends it somewhere?

That form is used to claim a refund under the Drug Payment Scheme (DPS) if you pay more than €114 for prescription drugs in one calendar month.

If you get all your prescription drugs from the same pharmacy and they have your PPS number, they will typically not ask you to pay more than an aggregate €114 per month i.e. once you hit the limit, they won't charge you for the rest of that month. You can get a DPS card from the HSE to show to the chemist to register with them

You would use that form to claim money back if (e.g.) you got drugs from different pharmacies in the same month and spent over the €114 limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yes the Drug Payment scheme but she would have to have an active DPS card in order to be eligible for the refund, and as the previous poster just said above, you are only eligible for a refund if you exceed the monthly amount of €114.

Everyone is eligible to apply for the DPS as long as they are resident in Ireland, so you could apply for her if you wish by downloading the form from hse.ie DPS card application form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Yes the Drug Payment scheme but she would have to have an active DPS card in order to be eligible for the refund, and as the previous poster just said above, you are only eligible for a refund if you exceed the monthly amount of €114.

Everyone is eligible to apply for the DPS as long as they are resident in Ireland, so you could apply for her if you wish by downloading the form from hse.ie DPS card application form

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them. At sea a bit here.

I presume if she is getting most of her prescriptions for 1 euro an item that means she is on the Drugs Payment Scheme? or is that a separate OAP thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate them. At sea a bit here.

I presume if she is getting most of her prescriptions for 1 euro an item that means she is on the Drugs Payment Scheme? or is that a separate OAP thing?

I am not sure , does she have a medical card? maybe this is why the prescription cost is so low, she would not be on DPS if she did not apply,you can ring the medical card unit to check if she has a DPS card though and they'll tell you if you can confirm her name, dob address

maybe ring HSE 1890252919 and check:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No, it means she has a medical card. Under the DPS scheme, you pay the retail price for the drugs until you reach €114, then you pay nothing for the remainder of the month. It's highly unlikely that your mum will ever reach the threshold of paying €114 across the counter for prescription drugs in one calendar month, given that she will get most of her prescriptions fulfilled for €1.

She just has to take that one on the chin and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Your Mam has a medical card. As she's an OAP she pays €1 per prescription medication up to a maximum of €10 per month.

This medication, whatever it was, wasn't covered. I.e the government won't pay for it, for whatever reason.

Your Mam paid privately for the medication. (I doubt it was drugs payment scheme as I can't think of any medication that's not covered on medical card but is covered on DPS. Apart from dental prescriptions)

That claim from entitles your Mam to claim 20% of the cost back though tax relief if she pays PAYE on any income she has. So when your Mam is doing a tax balancing statement for the year she declares any health expenses incurred. You input the full cost of the prescription along with anything else.

FYI she can claim back 20% of the €10 monthly GMS fee too. In fact she doesn't have to be the one claim it... If you pay for her medication, you can claim it yourself...

Source: I'm a pharmacist

Advertisement