Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State condition as to wether “married”, “single”…

Options
  • 15-06-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Just discovered the interment record of a family member. In the marital status column, she’s the only one on the page there’s no entry against.

I know she was married but I’m guessing in the 70s, this would have been left blank if they were separated?

She’s buried with her husband who passed seven years later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

OU812 wrote: »
    Just discovered the interment record of a family member. In the marital status column, she’s the only one on the page there’s no entry against.

I know she was married but I’m guessing in the 70s, this would have been left blank if they were separated?

She’s buried with her husband who passed seven years later.

I'd put it down to an oversight by the clerk. Surely a separated couple would not want to share a grave?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you checked death notices to see if they provide any clues?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Also check was a legal separation possible then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Most likely the official left it blank pending clarification by the informant. As often happens, nobody came back with the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Mick Tator wrote: »
    I'd put it down to an oversight by the clerk. Surely a separated couple would not want to share a grave?

You’d imagine so. They were survived by a son (who I can’t find) who may have just put his dad in with her for cost reasons etc. Not like she could object.

I know of someone who was buried with his first wife who predeceased him, because he owned the grave already, and then the second wife was buried there too by the kids to “keep them together”
    Hermy wrote: »
    Have you checked death notices to see if they provide any clues?

Bizarrely, I can’t find any other records on her at all. Only found her grave by finding her husband’s.
    pinkypinky wrote: »
    Also check was a legal separation possible then.

I don’t think it was. My grandmother was separated at the same period, but still officially married.

tabbey wrote: »
    Most likely the official left it blank pending clarification by the informant. As often happens, nobody came back with the information.

Seems strange as she’s the fifth on the page. Plenty of other later entries to follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

OU812 wrote: »
    I don’t think it was. My grandmother was separated at the same period, but still officially married.

But that's precisely what a legal separation is. You are still married but live apart. It used to be called "divorce a mensa et thoro" (from table and hearth). And it's been legally possible for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

My grandmother wasn’t “legally” separated. There was no legal declaration or record.

My grandfather left & moved around the corner, she remained in the family home with the kids.

They had various interactions over the years but never lived together again.

They basically just agreed between themselves to not live together any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

There could be a few reasons but the more likely is that the clerk/registrar left it blank on the instructions of whoever was responsible for arranging the funeral - probably a close family member who simply said leave it blank to reflect reality. She was technically married but on paper only, so simpler to say nothing.

In my experience a lot of burial registers are partial works of fiction, especially in rural areas.
    Ages, religion, causes of death etc are sometimes wrong or left incomplete and in one particular area it seems that everyone over 70 died of "senile decay" and everyone else except the very young died of "heart" and they were all buried precisely two days after death - even the ones who were brought home from e.g. England.
    I'd use them for general info but not for accurate records.

Advertisement