Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Side Boundary Wall Height

Options
  • 14-06-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me regarding the minimum legal height requirement for lateral/side boundary walls. I recently bought a house at the end of a road which has an ESB sub-station on the far side. It seems my sidewall up to this station is not tall enough. At 6ft tall, I can see over the wall and into my garden. This brings it's own issues with young kids and teenagers as you can imagine! The station is located near my back wall, with a path for ESB access up to it running alongside my side wall.

Would appreciate if anyone can recommend a solution (bar anti climb paint!) and more so, advice on minimum legal lateral/side wall height. I can find plenty online about back walls and party walls in gardens, but nothing about side walls!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Lyncher101 wrote: »
    minimum legal height requirement for lateral/side boundary walls.

There are regs on maximum height, before planning permission is required, but little or nothing on minimum height, unless the origional planning for the house and something
    It seems my sidewall up to this station is not tall enough. At 6ft tall, I can see over the wall and into my garden.

It "seems" accrding to you, or has "someone" stated this to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lyncher101

Thanks for that. Yes, I can find loads on Max height, but I thought there should be Minimum heights readily available too.

When I say it seems, I mean I can walk up to the substation and look over the wall into my garden. No tippy toes involved either! I'm 6ft tall.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have you moved in yet? Is the wall finished?

Yes, about a year ago! Wasn't a problem until lockdown ended and kids are up on it trying to gain access to a field behind me. Or just playing on the sub-station! I'm talking to the ESB about this, but the only thing I can look into personally is getting the wall's height increased. Fortunately the builder is still on-site, but that's not to say he will lend any help....

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, about a year ago! Wasn't a problem until lockdown ended and kids are up on it trying to gain access to a field behind me. Or just playing on the sub-station! I'm talking to the ESB about this, but the only thing I can look into personally is getting the wall's height increased. Fortunately the builder is still on-site, but that's not to say he will lend any help....

Is the elevation of the path outside your house higher? I.e. can you see over the wall when standing in your garden? It seems pretty low, like it's kind of pointless if you can see over it.

Your options are:

- Get the builder to add a few extra courses to make it a bit higher
    - Put your own fencing on top of it
    - Plant some screening plants.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Is the elevation of the path outside your house higher? I.e. can you see over the wall when standing in your garden? It seems pretty low, like it's kind of pointless if you can see over it.

Your options are:

- Get the builder to add a few extra courses to make it a bit higher
    - Put your own fencing on top of it
    - Plant some screening plants.

Hi, yes - the path is well above ground level in my garden, and actually rises further the closer I walk to sub-station.
    Will talk to builder about additional bricks, not sure how receptive he'll be though! It would be nice to be able to provide him with a document on minimum heights to cut out all of the waffle between us!

Advertisement