Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six year old birthday etiquette + COVID

Options
  • 17-05-2021 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

So we’ve avoided the whole birthday thing as our eldest was only in playschool when this all kicked off and is now in Junior Infants. Obviously with lockdowns etc there’s been no play dates or birthdays but as we’re allowed now she has been invited to a classmates birthday along with 2 other girls in the class.

I presume I’m ok to stay too? As I don’t know the parents at all, had never spoken to them until the mum approached me at the school today... what’s the done thing? I hate all this stuff >.<

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Put a cap on the wine and the party can be civil.

• Administrators Posts: 13,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Do you want stay? Or are you just unsure about whether you should?

Some parents will stay. Some won't. Completely up to yourself. You could ask her does she want any help? Does she want you to bring anything? She might then say "not at all, just drop her off at x time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I get the impression you don’t know this parent. However, your child was one of two invited to the party which points to your children being close to the other child. It’s very important you know the parents of your child’s close friends it will make it easier in the long run when your child is busy at school making plans with their friends. Parties are a great way of getting to know the other parents.

In Junior Infants stage it’s more common for parents to stay then not to stay. As they get older most parents drop and run but that’s easier to do once you are comfortable with the parents of your child’s friends.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As you haven't been doing this the last year or so, I would stay. Be up front with the mum, just say if it's ok with you I will stay, it's the first time we have been at a birthday party (in over a year, if needed) and I am not sure if "child" will be ok with me leaving.

I only started to leave my eldest around half way through JI and even then it was only with the handful of kids she knew from ECCE.I would often stay for the first 30 mins, then come back 15 or 20 mins early.Would have stayed if I didn't know the child or their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thanks for the input... I think I’ll stay. Funnily enough she never mentions this particular child at all so I was really surprised when her mum asked yesterday but happy for her to get to do something as normal as go to a party as it’s been such a rubbish year and a bit for them.

Thankfully I know she won’t have a problem at all and wouldn’t need me there, she is very confident about going to places or with people without me. It’s more me thinking I would feel strange leaving her with other people who I’m sure are lovely but know absolutely nothing about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Totally ok to feel that way Angeldelight, I want to know parents where possible too, or even just to have an idea of them.You will be dealing with them for a good 8 years, so no harm.

Advertisement