Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex wife taking kids away

Options
  • 26-04-2021 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just lookin advice for a friend who Im getting worried for. A while back his ex wife took him for everything including his house and 2 boys but he was still able to see them each week and over weekends. She’s now moved from Roscommon to Sligo with a guy she just met at the time and is making it hell for him to be involved. Hes been trying to get full custody from day 1 but getting nowhere.

Is there anything at all I can offer of for advice as its painful to watch and seems hard to believe it can so easily be done. I imagine people here have a bit more experience with this kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Was it a court decision or an agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

he really will need to get legal representation and get himself into court to formalise the arrangements. once the arrangements are set by a court, he will not be so reliant on her playing nice with him.

the ex moving the kids 50 miles or so away, is not ideal. But then wanting full custody seems extreme too - its not the norm, and perhaps there are some unique circumstances. ones you yourself may not be privy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

friend of mine went through a very similar situation

Wife got the house, full custody of the kids and a large montly payment. He had the kids one night a week and she even made that difficult at the time

The thing is the kids a little older now and the oldest has gone into court and said they want to spend more time with their dad and his access has gone from one night a week to 2 nights and a long weekend every month. All directed by the judge.

So advise him get into court straight away and if the kids are older make sure they have a say

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HonthePool

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So the full story is she made false claims against him and used dodgy evidence which the courts accepted. So from all that she got the house and full custody of the kids, but he managed to get her to agree to every other weekend and some weekdays.

It sounds over the top that he wants full custody but the reality is she wants the single life and would probably prefer he had them if it didn't look bad on her. She drops them off any moment she wants to spend the weekend in a lads house or when there's different lads in and out of the house he bought every other week.

It all just sounds completely crazy how helpless he can be left but its just a case of his word against hers. I hope you're right that the kids will notice the effort he has made when they are older.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

deemulryan I've removed your post which identifies someone - this is not allowed on Boards under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement