Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Golf Club

Options
  • 23-10-2007 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if this has officially been sold please ?
    If so, any links ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i've never seen it officially confirmed but the detail involved in this proposal http://www.greystonesnewquarter.com/ - designed by Norman Foster & Co. no less - suggests that some sort of deal has been done.

I've been told by various people that the golfers will get a new course to the south of the existing one, in which they will become owner-members (apparently the current course is not owned by the members)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I'd say there is some deal alright with Durkan, but subject to alot of conditions. There are no plans to commence the south quarter until 2011 anyway. But it's all subject to rezoning, finding a new site for the golf club, etc. Can't see how they'd allow it to go ahead while the new Marina is being built also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

That's great, thanks for the update guys.

I'd be happy with a new course, cause I think the current one is awful, especially the back 9.

Between the marina, shopping centre etc etc, things are really going to change over the next 10 to 15 years eh!.

I hope greystones village doesn't lose its charm.

There's a big write-up about Bernard McNamara in todays times. The new "South Quarter" is also mentioned as one of his future projects (including re-routing the Dublin-Rosslare railway to facilitate this). A few photo's also included to highlight the area in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

. Can't see how they'd allow it to go ahead while the new Marina is being built also.
    Trust me, they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

afaik it has been sold, the members are currently leasing the land. but the club isn't bringing in enough revenue to cover the lease and is running into debt.

I'd expect it to be gone in the next 5 years, although greystones town council said there's been nothing put into the Local Area Plan about it.

There's a big write-up about Bernard McNamara in todays times. The new "South Quarter" is also mentioned as one of his future projects (including re-routing the Dublin-Rosslare railway to facilitate this). A few photo's also included to highlight the area in question.

that would be insanely expensive

Nothing is out of the question for these guys. They think big. Re-Routing the railway line opens up a whole new section of prime coast line.

maybe, but I can't see where they would reroute it to. if they divert it inland it would have to go straight through their proposed development and would probably have to be elevated to get it over the access roads. Can't see how an elevated railway going past the apartments is going to improve the attractiveness of the project.

The drawings on the website suggest they're planning to leave the railway where it is and build over it.

Hope you're right. It would only bring it up beside Charlesland if they did. Suppose the could just put it under the whole development too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Unblinkered

A quick update on Charlesland Golf Club. it is closing down completely in Dec 2020. The statement said it was eating money which is cobblers. It is simply never going to make the money for the land owners that a sale to developers will bring in. It is their prerogative but the duplicity and double - speak gives me a pain in the ar—-The members are heading in droves to Druids Heath and the best of luck to them, a course for body builders and builders.Why they have not made this course more playable and removed half one the countless and unnessesary bunkers baffles me. Some people think if you design a pig of a course it translate into “championship stature”! Greystones is rapidly becoming the Blackrock of the South East and green fields will disappear over the very near future so do not be conned into paying a joining fee within a radius of ten miles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A quick update on Charlesland Golf Club. it is closing down completely in Dec 2020. The statement said it was eating money which is cobblers.

Can you provide a link or any evidence to back this statement up?
    Greystones is rapidly becoming the Blackrock of the South East and green fields will disappear over the very near future .....

Many of the green fields are already gone. But yes you are correct, many more will disappear very soon which is horrendous in my opinion.

However many in the area now want to live in a far more urbanized high density area with multiplex cinemas, McDonald’s, large shopping centers and multistory car parks on their doorstep.

the council has said they're not planning any major rezoning in the next development plan, as so much land was zoned for housing in the last plan. So I wouldn't expect to see the golf course built on in the near future. Longer term, yeah probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Unblinkered

Read the issued statement in the Irish Indo. and the Wicklow Times. At the end of the day it is all about the rent being charged to the Club by the land owners and if you want to have it back then you simply make it exorbitant and uneconomical to run!As for planning permission we are talking Wicklow Co.Council-say no more and watch this space. I hear they have recruited John Delaney as a Consultant and PR man.This is Ireland in case anyone has forgotten and the ghost of Haughey still roams the streets at night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

......or maybe the golf club just wasn’t economically viable and COVID accelerated its demise. Let’s be honest we have more golf courses in Ireland per square meter than anywhere else on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Golf club is to be a large Covid care hub.

Contract signed today.

Golf club is to be a large Covid care hub.

Contract signed today.

I read it was going to be a vaccination centre - what else is involved in being a Covid Care Hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

loyatemu wrote: »
    I read it was going to be a vaccination centre - what else is involved in being a Covid Care Hub?

Who hubs are for
    Hubs are for people who:

are very unwell
    have tested positive for COVID-19
    are likely to have COVID-19
    need a face-to-face appointment with a GP
    Your GP may refer you to a hub for a face-to-face assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 40,827 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is there a link to this covid care hub news or is it just rumour?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

It has just been announced - I don't think any of them are up and running yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,827 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jpd wrote: »
    It has just been announced - I don't think any of them are up and running yet

Announced as a vaccination centre yes

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/vaccination-centre-on-way-to-greystones-40071498.html

A covid care hub???? Or did viscount aggro mean a vaccination centre?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement