Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent one bedroom apartment or share?

Options
  • 14-06-2021 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

D

Comments

Yes, it's a waste. Your not earning it to look at walls.

Share a place, it might not work out but it could also result in a new circle of friends

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Agree that you are better off sharing. If you’re in your own place you will also be responsible for all of your bills too - broadband, tv, bins, electricity. That €2,000 could easily increase at least another €100 a month.

You will also be expected to pay a deposit plus a month upfront, so you will need €4,000 just to get the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Why not rent a 2 bed and sublet the room yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

1 bed all the way for me. Only problem is once you have a place to yourself once, you will never want to go back to sharing again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

john_doe. wrote:
    Thanks I had considered this originally and maybe shud go back and reconsider.

Only you can decide if it is worth the extra to live alone.

Personally I'd be bored but some really like having their own space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

as i see it you have another choice. Get a 2 bed and rent one room out on your own terms. that way you select the room mate, and the rules.

IMO i would probably share for a few months and get some savings, before deciding on sticking with that arrangement, or moving onto getting a place with just your name of the lease agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

First, congrats on the job!
    Second, are you sure your take-home is 3900? A 70k salary for someone straight out of college is unusual.

That's mental money to spend a month.
    24,000 a year to live in Dublin is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

tobos76452 wrote: »
    I graduated college last year and will be moving to Dublin for my first full time job.
    My monthly take home after tax is about 3900.

Now I am looking at daft, and I don't see too many nice apartments to share near work. But I see some really nice places to rent at about 2000 euro per month.

Is it a waste of money to go and rent at 2000 a month, when I could share for half that? I want to get to Dublin soon, so even for the first year would it be so bad to rent 2k apartment?

3,900 after tax per month one year out of college: nice work
    maybe 100,000 pa gross

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

I graduated college last year and will be moving to Dublin for my first full time job.
    ..?

What job gives €3900 net per month, 1 year after graduation? Mods, if this derails the thread, please delete my query.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you are only out of college I would be inclined to share be that enter a house share or rent somewhere yourself and sublet.

Take home is very high alright for graduate. OP are you sure that is correct, have you worked this year already, is it possible your take home is high this year because you have a full years tax credits to apply to have a years earnings? Congrats on job and if that is your actual take home Super-Congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Now I am looking at daft, and I don't see too many nice apartments to share near work. But I see some really nice places to rent at about 2000 euro per month.

Is it a waste of money to go and rent at 2000 a month, when I could share for half that? I want to get to Dublin soon, so even for the first year would it be so bad to rent 2k apartment?

OP there has been a lot of these kind of reaction posts lately first posts i.e. Time wasters. It could be a genuine post but the subject matter and off the bat 3900 net salary and open ended question as stated makes me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What job gives €3900 net per month, 1 year after graduation? Mods, if this derails the thread, please delete my query.

Yeah do you mind telling us what industry you're in. I'm obviously in the wrong one!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Amazon pay new grad software developers a base salary of just under 70 grand a year. Which works out as OP's salary.

I would definitely get a house share to help settle in to the capital with people of a similar age to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Yeah do you mind telling us what industry you're in. I'm obviously in the wrong one!

Its not that unbelievable.
    New hires on my team are getting €60k straight out of Uni.
    I dont know if that works out the same net as the op but i imagine it would be quite close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Its not that unbelievable.
    New hires on my team are getting €60k straight out of Uni.
    I dont know if that works out the same net as the op but i imagine it would be quite close.

It's €70k

Edit -hit post by accident. Fair play to him, I started on €20k after college. More luck to him.

Plenty but its not acceptable in society to admit that theres well paid jobs in the world.

studied, went to college and graduated to an industry where the known pay is considered good? Fair play.

Became a teacher where the degree results in less pay but summers off? Again fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Share for a while OP, I did it for years.

Why give some landlord a fortune to sit in a gaff on your own. Save the cash and have some fun with it, you'll have it if you want to go travel or have saved a lump if you want to buy your own place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

handlemaster, if you have an issue with a post report it.

Advertisement