Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

She has given herself a ridiculous level of self importance been someone doing her medicine exams during covid

I assume that’s what she’d have been banging on about yet again in this paper review rather than actually talking about sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

She has given herself a ridiculous level of self importance been someone doing her medicine exams during covid

I do enjoy the Sunday papers section but thankfully that wasn't uploaded to Youtube this week.

Has come across very bad during Covid.

In support of lockdown when she isn't affected but almost insulting the many thousands that have.

Her reputation has surely been damaged the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

They really have left the segment go stale. Really feels like going through the motions most weeks especially when Joe isn't hosting

deisedude wrote: »
    They really have left the segment go stale. Really feels like going through the motions most weeks especially when Joe isn't hosting

Part of the problem at times is the guest who is on it.

A few weeks back Louise Galvin and Daniel McDonnell were on but Galvin wasn't great when it came to soccer and Daniel Mcdonnell was not particularly strong when it came to GAA. Same thing with Michael Verney on matters Soccer.

George Hamilton and Tommy Martin were excellent a while back as they covered a majority of sports quite well. It also helps when you have broad Sports heads like Kieran Cunningham or Kieran Shannon on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They're also limited by what's in the papers too. Yesterday there wasn't anything that caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Was it Maire who was interviewing the Tyrone player on Eir bringing up the comments about looking slim and fit?

Just googled her to see what she looked like and of course one of the first images is a selfie in medical gear...hate people like that who just put things up just so get praise from people.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I actually find it very impressive how Maire Treasa lives rent-free in so many people's heads.

I honestly don't see any issue with anything she does. She's grand, but anytime her name is mentioned there's a swarm ready to have a go at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Faugheen wrote: »
    I actually find it very impressive how Maire Treasa lives rent-free in so many people's heads.

I honestly don't see any issue with anything she does. She's grand, but anytime her name is mentioned there's a swarm ready to have a go at her.
    I'd no issue with her pre covid, in the last year she's become insufferable.

shockframe wrote: »
    In support of lockdown when she isn't affected but almost insulting the many thousands that have.
    Medical students are famously unaffected by Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Most people go on about the annoying covid phrases that have popped up over the last 15 months "hold firm", "stay safe" and all that waffle. For me its the repeated overuse of this "living rent free in head" saying thats come about and you read on every second post on boards if someone disagrees with someone, its the stock reply, usually delivered smugly and as if its the first time been used. I don't know who maire treasa ni cheallaigh is by the way, before i get accused of her "living rent free in my head".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Medical students are famously unaffected by Covid.

The vast majority of them were unaffected. Our hospitals have never been so empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I know it's been said but Richie really is insufferable, they were on about Naomi Osaka and Joe was making a reasonabley valid point that we don't know the full story from Roland Garos's side and there could be more to the story (not that I'm defending how they have handled themselves) and Richie wasn't having any of it, he went on a full strop and he was actually sulking over it.

I can't think of anyone worse on radio (maybe Eoghan McDermot)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilbury Twist

To borrow a GAA analogy I think that the presenter panel on OTB could do with some strengthening in certain areas. Joe Molloy would be inter county standard, certainly the most consistent in terms of output. The rest would be a mixture of Intermediate and Junior B in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

siblers wrote: »
    I know it's been said but Richie really is insufferable, they were on about Naomi Osaka and Joe was making a reasonabley valid point that we don't know the full story from Roland Garos's side and there could be more to the story (not that I'm defending how they have handled themselves) and Richie wasn't having any of it, he went on a full strop and he was actually sulking over it.

I can't think of anyone worse on radio (maybe Eoghan McDermot)

Seems like a very unpleasant person, all round. total mystery as to why he is there or on any platform. Very aggressive and odd fella.

As an aside, this may be nit picking but they really need to get joe a mouse with silent clicking

He's by far the best on that show which isnt saying much, but he asks questions and then you can hear multiple clicks of the mouse where hes doing whatever for the next piece. Makes it seem like whoever is responding is just meaningless, it's pure amateur hour.

Here you go Joe:

mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Ger will be crying into his piss and vinegar soaked cornflakes after Djokovic beat Nadal in the French Open

• Advertisement

Piehead wrote: »
    Ger will be crying into his piss and vinegar soaked cornflakes after Djokovic beat Nadal in the French Open

Poor Ger he’ll be stuck on the can for days with a dose of the runny poos after that today !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Poor Ger he’ll be stuck on the can for days with a dose of the runny poos after that today !

Hard to believe an adult probably wrote this.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Am i becoming a grumpy old bollix (for whom the vaccine portal may open this week), or was 40 minutes of the paper review, discussing the tv coverage of Erickson and Taking the Knee, very very boring? I know they must cover what is topical, but there was no discussion of any sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Anything John Duggan presents turns into a car crash.

Hes a classic Alan Partridge comparison.

He’s starting….

https://twitter.com/gergilroy/status/1404130416437645322?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

bamayang wrote: »
    Am i becoming a grumpy old bollix (for whom the vaccine portal may open this week), or was 40 minutes of the paper review, discussing the tv coverage of Erickson and Taking the Knee, very very boring? I know they must cover what is topical, but there was no discussion of any sport?

Because they rarely discuss plain old sport. I know ... sounds nuts right? Far, far greater weight is given to the politicisation of and within sport and the ramifications that follow from amongst other items including 'taking the knee', the potential trauma of the public from the dubious BBC/RTE coverage of the horror of Christian Eriksen, which cannot be disputed in fairness, the bickering of De Chambeau and Koepka in golf and its impact on the wider society, Gordon Elliot bouncing on a dead horse and the impact on the wider society, the Penn State child sex abuse scandal and subsequent convictions of abuser Jerry Sandusky and the impact on the wider society, the Karim Benzema - Mathieu Valbeuna sextape scandal and the impact on the wider society, to name but merely a few.

I like Dion Fanning's writing but he spent most of the discussion rambling and going around in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I like Dion Fanning's writing but he spent most of the discussion rambling and going around in circles.

Just your typical Dion contribution so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Just your typical Dion contribution so.

Aye, a waffler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Probably more suited to the main Newstalk thread, but seeing as she's discussed in here a bit... Máire Treasa presented weekend breakfast this week. I think Susan Keogh is out the gap, so I wonder if Máire will get the gig full time. She was good i thought.

John Duggan is an awful presenter, I didn't mind him on Today FM but really struggle listening to him on the weekends when he's on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Johnny Ward on Saturday saying he’d like to try Dara O’Shea in a holding role for Ireland. O’Shea has 6 caps, his distribution is unimpressive at centre half and we are short of options at centre half but yeah...let’s throw him into midfield. Ward has so many unique, terrible takes.

Johnny Ward on Saturday saying he’d like to try Dara O’Shea in a holding role for Ireland. O’Shea has 6 caps, his distribution is unimpressive at centre half and we are short of options at centre half but yeah...let’s throw him into midfield. Ward has so many unique, terrible takes.

He's another terrible contributor. They really need to bring in some new contributors on OTB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Where’s Damien Delaney gone? He was on some event there last week with Dunphy but aside from that I haven’t heard him on in weeks. Same with Kenny? Both much better then Elliot in the Saturday slot.

Where’s Damien Delaney gone? He was on some event there last week with Dunphy but aside from that I haven’t heard him on in weeks. Same with Kenny? Both much better then Elliot in the Saturday slot.

His wife just had a baby so I'm guessing it's just a temporary absence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

He was on a couple of days ago. Really good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

jesus, euro's, golf, gaa, tennis, sport bonanza and this thread is dead. speaks volumes about the show as it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

jesus, euro's, golf, gaa, tennis, sport bonanza and this thread is dead. speaks volumes about the show as it is.

Well considering people only post in here to give out about the show, I'd personally say it says more about how well it's doing.

Been some great stuff on the 7s. Jordan Conroy last night and Greg O'Shea this morning are both two really interesting interviews.

Well considering people only post in here to give out about the show, I'd personally say it says more about how well it's doing.

Been some great stuff on the 7s. Jordan Conroy last night and Greg O'Shea this morning are both two really interesting interviews.

I generally switch off when it comes to rugby so I missed those pieces. Anything else worth catching up on via podcast? I rarely get the show live anymore and not much has caught my eye on podcast.

I generally switch off when it comes to rugby so I missed those pieces. Anything else worth catching up on via podcast? I rarely get the show live anymore and not much has caught my eye on podcast.

The Football Pod with Peadar Andrews and Andy Moran has been very good. It's great to hear the enthusiasm of the lads plus Tommy. Too often Football gets bogged down by 90s heads scoffing at the state of the 'Modern Game'.It's a breath of fresh air to have 2 more recent players talking.

I like the Euros coverage in general. Eamon Dunphy on Friday was good.Like old times. Even the reports from England, France, Denmark etc have been enjoyable. Far removed from the Liverpool,Man Utd excess during PL season.

shockframe wrote: »
    The Football Pod with Peadar Andrews and Andy Moran has been very good. It's great to hear the enthusiasm of the lads plus Tommy. Too often Football gets bogged down by 90s heads scoffing at the state of the 'Modern Game'.It's a breath of fresh air to have 2 more recent players talking.

I like the Euros coverage in general. Eamon Dunphy on Friday was good.Like old times. Even the reports from England, France, Denmark etc have been enjoyable. Far removed from the Liverpool,Man Utd excess during PL season.

I listened to Dunphy and really enjoyed the slot. Will look out for the rest. Thanks.

what a load of :D:D:D

So nobody is commenting because things are going so well? LOL :D Fairly poor interpretation of how ratings and marketing works, I must pop out and get a set of those google glasses that were flying off the shelves. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah, I dunno, H. It’s a different time we’re in these days. Most of us have lives and aren't in a “position” to listen to the show, especially with the soccer on.

Thought the team did an exceptional job during the first lockdown and, poor lines aside, they’ve continued that out the other side of this one.

I’m well aware that some on here don’t like when the show covers sports stories “off the field” but, all in all, it’s my go to show when I’m in the car.

Thankfully, Creedon covers nicely when it’s a terrible sport like basketball being discussed. Actually, I’d recommend any listeners getting, constantly, butthurt by the show, and it’s presenters, switching over to Creedon’s. You won’t be disappointed and it might go a long way to soothing that butt.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Might close this thread before tomorrow's programme as we are nearing the 10k point. It's been going for almost 9 years.

Get your reflections in on the past decade of OTB, if ye like. Someone can start a new thread tomorrow night, before the show.

• Advertisement

Ah, I dunno, H. It’s a different time we’re in these days. Most of us have lives and aren't in a “position” to listen to the show, especially with the soccer on.

Thought the team did an exceptional job during the first lockdown and, poor lines aside, they’ve continued that out the other side of this one.

I’m well aware that some on here don’t like when the show covers sports stories “off the field” but, all in all, it’s my go to show when I’m in the car.

Thankfully, Creedon covers nicely when it’s a terrible sport like basketball being discussed. Actually, I’d recommend any listeners getting, constantly, butthurt by the show, and it’s presenters, switching over to Creedon’s. You won’t be disappointed and it might go a long way to soothing that butt.

Most of us have lives and aren’t in a position to listen? :):):)

Most of us have been in a position to do nothing other than listen for the last 18 months and we have been bombarded with nothing other than top quality sport for the last few months, yet this this thread is dead for for some reason.

You brought up the politicisation of the show, nobody else, the thread and show is dead and unpopular for a reason…you’ve just given one good reason why “E”

Most of us have lives and aren’t in a position to listen? :):):)

Most of us have been in a position to do nothing other than listen for the last 18 months and we have been bombarded with nothing other than top quality sport for the last few months, yet this this thread is dead for for some reason.

You brought up the politicisation of the show, nobody else, the thread and show is dead and unpopular for a reason…you’ve just given one good reason why “E”

I don't think this thread has ever served as a genuine discussion platform for topics introduced on the show with the only one that generated any meaningful interaction on here being the Mayo Ladies footballers which was mostly outrage by many here that the show entertained their complaints as to how they were being treated.

Check out the posts between 9970 and 9990. At least ten of them are solely and directly aimed at denigrating the hosts or contributors to the show. And many of the rest of them are responses to this. That's a microcosm for the thread. Meanwhile the show continues to be popular on all its platforms it seems.

I don't think this thread has ever served as a genuine discussion platform for topics introduced on the show with the only one that generated any meaningful interaction on here being the Mayo Ladies footballers which was mostly outrage by many here that the show entertained their complaints as to how they were being treated.

Check out the posts between 9970 and 9990. At least ten of them are solely and directly aimed at denigrating the hosts or contributors to the show. And many of the rest of them are responses to this. That's a microcosm for the thread. Meanwhile the show continues to be popular on all its platforms it seems.

Point totally missed, the criticism and adulation is and was null until the same heads like yourself pop up all of sudden defending it.

The show was excellent….it’s absolutely shīte now.

Point totally missed, the criticism and adulation is and was null until the same heads like yourself pop up all of sudden defending it.

The show was excellent….it’s absolutely shīte now.

Yeah, yeah, sure it is.

By what metric?

We've been down this road before, but I don't think this thread is ever going to be what you want it to be - i.e. a place for meaningful discussion on general topics being discussed or introduced on the show. I think there are other threads in the main sports sections that cover this well.

The thread is about the show and inevitably much of the discussion will be about the presenters and contributors, good and bad. Unfortunately, most people like to focus on the negative so that's what we get most of here.

I made a criticism of one of the guests in the the bunch of posts you have named there. I think the criticism is entirely justified if you listened to it, and I don't see how or why there is anything wrong with pointing that out. I used to love the Sunday Paper Review but the quality has dimmed a lot in the last year and have said a few times that it's probably run its course.

I've also pointed out that I enjoyed the Dunphy slots, which were very good.

The thread will always be about the show itself and the contributors and presenters, as most of the others in this section are, but it would be good if the new thread were a bit more balanced as the 'it's gone to ****e' stuff is tiresome and is probably the reason why this one died on its feet.

Yeah, yeah, sure it is.

By what metric?

By the same metric that causes you to think it can do no wrong. It swings both ways. For every person who thinks Joe is the best radio presenter in the country, there is one or more who want to vomit when Maire Treasa ni Cheallaigh tells us we haven’t had enough lockdown and we should be happy to accept more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    By the same metric that causes you to think it can do no wrong. It swings both ways. For every person who thinks Joe is the best radio presenter in the country, there is one or more who want to vomit when Maire Treasa ni Cheallaigh tells us we haven’t had enough lockdown and we should be happy to accept more of it.

…on here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've caught none of the show recently, because I've been watching football and listening to Second Captains, Football Weekly & Totally Football Show - the daily podcasts.

Although I have listened (as with any other week) to Giles on Thursday (on podcast).

Has Eamonn been on often? Can anyone tell me when?

I also listen to The Stand.

Jaysus, there is a lot of sport coverage these days.

Jayesdiem wrote: »

This is a perfect example of the hypocrisy that goes on.

People (who still continue to listen to the show) talk all the time about them being SJW's or having an agenda or some other nonsense and yet at the same time, when they hear an opinion from someone they disagree with (who is nearly a qualified Dr) they apparently want to vomit. Talk about being perpetually outraged.

And btw the way, that isn't a metric for saying that the show is sh*te now. My metric for saying it is still good is that it still continues to be listened to widely, they haven't made any drastic changes to the schedule which would indicate it wasn't doing so and the morning version of the show online is still going strong almost 3 years later. Your opinion is not even a metric, no matter how much you think it is and is the one and only one that counts.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've caught none of the show recently, because I've been watching football and listening to Second Captains, Football Weekly & Totally Football Show - the daily podcasts.

Although I have listened (as with any other week) to Giles on Thursday (on podcast).

Has Eamonn been on often? Can anyone tell me when?

I also listen to The Stand.

Jaysus, there is a lot of sport coverage these days.

He has been on the Euro2020 podcast. You'll find some videos of the podcast on YouTube with him in it.

This is a perfect example of the hypocrisy that goes on.

People (who still continue to listen to the show) talk all the time about them being SJW's or having an agenda or some other nonsense and yet at the same time, when they hear an opinion from someone they disagree with (who is nearly a qualified Dr) they apparently want to vomit. Talk about being perpetually outraged.

And btw the way, that isn't a metric for saying that the show is sh*te now. My metric for saying it is still good is that it still continues to be listened to widely, they haven't made any drastic changes to the schedule which would indicate it wasn't doing so and the morning version of the show online is still going strong almost 3 years later. Your opinion is not even a metric, no matter how much you think it is and is the one and only one that counts.

What’s being a doctor got to do with telling us how we should feel and think? You are assuming the country has adopted the right approach and her support of that approach makes her right because she’s had some medical training. It doesn’t. And inexperienced nearly-doctors are far from infallible or authoritative. She is neither. And you are as predictable as ever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement