Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline: Thank you for your patients. Mod Warning: OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,909 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Dat's it. I'm never going swimming in Bunmahon.
    I never did anyway...
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If only Gay Byrne was still around to demonstrate correct use of a rubber ring

Dat could lead to piles of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If only Gay Byrne was still around to demonstrate correct use of a rubber ring
    On an inflatable banana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

So it's not just the GAA that's part of what we are - now it's Pride!I blame the Greeks. :D

Showing her nautical knowledge.

• Advertisement

You need to be a good swimmer for Low Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Ray Darcy coming in on the tide... can't be stopped .. Jesus Ray on holliers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

CH3OH wrote: »
    Ray Darcy coming in on the tide... can't be stopped .. Jesus Ray on holliers as well

Not so sure..someone just messed up the buttons there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

The notes left behind by presenters are going well, "Katie needs to go well over time" and "Kathryn needs to make a balls of the intro"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

On an inflatable banana.

We couldn't afford a rubber ring, a lie low or an inflateable banana as chislers we had to make do wid an old tractor tube. Six of us would carry it to the river.

First we'd have to clean all the muck and s*it offa it and then all six of us had hours of fun paddling up and down the river.

Sometimes we'd anchor it in the middle of the river and bring our fishing rods and Tayto's and Savage Smith minerals....O the fun we had !

We brought it to Lough Ennell once deflated. We soon realized there was no way of pumping it up. Dat might have been the year we all got the 'rash' from the poluted water. But sure dat's anudder story for anudder day sotospeak.

• Advertisement

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    We couldn't afford a rubber ring, a lie low or an inflateable banana as chislers we had to make do wid an old tractor tube. Six of us would carry it to the river.

First we'd have to clean all the muck and s*it offa it and then all six of us had hours of fun paddling up and down the river.

Sometimes we'd anchor it in the middle of the river and bring our fishing rods and Tayto's and Savage Smith minerals....O the fun we had !

We brought it to Lough Ennell once deflated. We soon realized there was no way of pumping it up. Dat might have been the year we all got the 'rash' from the poluted water. But sure dat's anudder story for anudder day sotospeak.

I wance warned a fambily and doggie out of da water in Lough Ennell because of de toxic algae. It's shallow and prone to dat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thousands of Donegal and Mayo residents are marching in Dublin tomorrow to highlight the fact that thousands of family homes, social housing properties, as well as hospitals, schools, leisure centres and libraries are crumbling.

I wonder will LL even mention it this week? Or maybe not a big enough issue for Joe. Probably had something more major like gift vouchers to talk about.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thousands of Donegal and Mayo residents are marching in Dublin tomorrow to highlight the fact that thousands of family homes, social housing properties, as well as hospitals, schools, leisure centres and libraries are crumbling.

I wonder will LL even mention it this week? Or maybe not a big enough issue for Joe. Probably had something more major like gift vouchers to talk about.

It was actually announced on the promo that there'd be calls relating to the mica, among other items. It all got dominated today by a near-drowning incident yesterday at Bunmahon beach in Waterford. It's very likely to be covered some time this week on Liveline, especially if more calls come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

will they be arriving by tractor 🚜 ?

"...sure what would you know about tractors..."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

dvcireland wrote: »
    will they be arriving by tractor 🚜 ?

"...sure what would you know about tractors..."

Katie is much more knowledgeable the Joe about that kind of thing.

It's very likely to be covered some time this week on Liveline, especially if more calls come in.

Believe me, LL has received countless emails and texts from concerned homeowners over the last few months, yet it was never even mentioned on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It was actually announced on the promo that there'd be calls relating to the mica, among other items. It all got dominated today by a near-drowning incident yesterday at Bunmahon beach in Waterford. It's very likely to be covered some time this week on Liveline, especially if more calls come in.

Hopefully they'll have the cop on to keep to the guidelines on the buses. The way their loudmouth 'spokesperson' goes on I'd have my doubts.

There were no flags saying it was safe to swim so they swam anyway.
    Deeec wrote: »
    Too many parents let their kids run wild when they get to the beach or think they are great swimmers.
    This forum doesn't strike me as one populated by younger users.

Most people here have probably swum in beaches which were not guarded by students who've completed a first-aid course. Instead, they have probably allowed their children to swim when they (rightly) judged it safe.

Good.

It's a perfectly normal thing to do. The idea that beaches are only safe when a hungover 18yo is on duty is a joke. Anyone who ever knew an Irish 'lifeguard' would know how ludicrous the whole concept is.

The only lifeguards I know are college students who would regularly fail a breathalyzer test.

We need a real lifeguard service. The idea that it's safe/ unsafe to swim, depending on the presence of a teenager 'lifeguard', is a farce.

Most people here have probably swum in beaches which were not guarded by students who've completed a first-aid course. Instead, they have probably allowed their children to swim when they (rightly) judged it safe.

Good.

It's a perfectly normal thing to do. The idea that beaches are only safe when a hungover 18yo is on duty is a joke. Anyone who ever knew an Irish 'lifeguard' would know how ludicrous the whole concept is.

The only lifeguards I know are college students who would regularly fail a breathalyzer test.

We need a real lifeguard service. The idea that it's safe/ unsafe to swim, depending on the presence of a teenager 'lifeguard', is a farce.

That's why I suggested earlier lifeguarding might particularly suit a suitably trained physically fit person mature in years and mind and with life experience. Somebody who may have retired early or have other means of income and would like to give community service and have a live of the water. Some would do it at a modest stipend to just keep active and be part of the scene.

Believe me, LL has received countless emails and texts from concerned homeowners over the last few months, yet it was never even mentioned on the show.

Was just mentioned in yesterday's promo..., just •maybe• Katie will address it.

• Advertisement

old-codger_o_899304.jpg

old-codger_o_899304.jpg
    What I was trying to say, badly, is that most people here are old enough to have raised children, and they have therefore become good at managing risk.

The idea that parents are culpable simply because there was no lifeguard on duty, well that's a bit of a nonsense, considering how 'professional' the lifeguarding service is.

When a lifeguard is on duty, all that means is there's an 18yo on the beach, probably browsing instagram, who is also able to swim.

I agree with your suggestion that lifeguarding would be better suitable to a more mature person.

Today with Katie...

Paul O'Dwyer from yesterday at Bunmahon beach an dat. No lifeguards available.

My aunt's story!!! (Really) My 90 year old aunt is the lady in Beaumont.

People who have gone de extra mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

What I was trying to say, badly, is that most people here are old enough to have raised children, and they have therefore become good at managing risk.

The idea that parents are culpable simply because there was no lifeguard on duty, well that's a bit of a nonsense, considering how 'professional' the lifeguarding service is.

When a lifeguard is on duty, all that means is there's an 18yo on the beach, probably browsing instagram, who is also able to swim

I got it.

Was just mentioned in yesterday's promo..., just •maybe• Katie will address it.

And not mentioned again on the promo.

Are they covering it I wonder or will they think the kindness of strangers is more important?

I'm starting to think there is some sort of conspiracy with regards to LL. It can talk for ages about trivial subjects, but huge ones can get totally overlooked.

Do you really think if there were 5000 to 10000 homes affected anywhere else in the country, as well as hospitals, schools, libraries, social housing etc, it might get covered on LL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Katie is on the Liveline today and she has in store........
    • A return to the beach rescue story from yesterday. Lifeguards not on duty due to the Leaving and it's causing untold Hass!!

david-hasselhoff.jpg

• Visiting restrictions at hospitals; will a slack in Covid patients and things not being all jim jams, we ask why can't things be loosened up?

• From Ballyhaunis to Kerry for a customer! Has any shop gone the extra mile for you?

Join us from 1:45; don't keep Katie Hannon on du Liveline...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Are they covering it I wonder or will they think the kindness of strangers is more important?

I'm starting to think there is some sort of conspiracy with regards to LL. It can talk for ages about trivial subjects, but huge ones can get totally overlooked.

Do you really think if there were 5000 to 10000 homes affected anywhere else in the country, as well as hospitals, schools, libraries, social housing etc, it might get covered on LL?

If there was a dog kennel in ballyfermot effected it would be a topic for a week

Are you new here, caller?

Yes we had a day of that story, change of topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Ffs . More of this.

We know what happened! We get it!!

A rip tide/current is outgoing.

What colour were the children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ahhh looking to blame someone. Water is dangerous. End of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2 week training course needed for some clowns to be allowed on a beach.

We need MASSIVE signs, the size of a two-storey block of flats, just to make sure that everyone knows the danger.

<some of the above, etc>

• Advertisement

I was in that beach very many years ago, I saw a sign at the main walkway through the dunes from the car park. But that was in 1990s.

How about a razor wire fence along the shoreline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Truly dragging the absolute arse out of this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭KaneToad

When a lifeguard is on duty, all that means is there's an 18yo on the beach, probably browsing instagram, who is also able to swim.

I agree with your suggestion that lifeguarding would be better suitable to a more mature person.

I disagree.

I was one of those 18 yr olds at one time. There is a lot more to it than 'being able to swim'.

The hardest part of the job was telling people not to do certain things...going out of depth, using inflatables, going in non suitable swimming area...to be ignored & abused while they carry on regardless...

How about a razor wire fence along the shoreline?

And a warning sign for the wire.

And wire to protect that sign.

And a sign to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Missed the start - how did the children end up out there? Did she really bring them to the beach on her own and not able to swim??

Someone with a megaphone going up and down the beach and they still would say they didn't hear them

I was in that beach very many years ago, I saw a sign at the main walkway through the dunes from the car park. But that was in 1990s.

I've seen various signs at different spots on the Copper Coast, regarding dangerous currents, etc, even when I wasn't looking for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Truly dragging the absolute arse out of this topic.

Yesterday I posted that there could be a book and film in this. I think there could be a mini series as well!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

This is so boring, we had it all yesterday

This mother sounds mature enough to be able to judge the suitability of a beach. Waves are a warning in themselves, the only time you allow children in a wavy sea is on a recommended beach with even type waves like Rossnowlagh, when the children are well versed in water safety and maybe learning body boarding under close supervision in gentle waves etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Peggin? Anyone know what that means?

Maybe they could erect a sign saying "unsuitable for swimming except for the presence of life guards as denoted by yellow/red flags", and place red flags on it.

pc7 wrote: »
    This is so boring, we had it all yesterday

The only spin on it today is to assign blame to anyone but those involved.

Peggin? Anyone know what that means?

Throwing ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement