Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Some more reading for me, all digital since I've got a bunch of comics on my tablet.

Once & Future, volume 1 - This was fun! The artwork suited it really well, too! The story was good, dialogue was good fun (pretty much a given with Gillen) and it was a refreshing breather from Gillen's other current work, Die - which is great, but much heavier and moodier.

Moonshine, volume 1 - I really like Eduardo Risso's art, and he pairs very well with Azzarello. I've cooled on Azzarello somewhat in recent years, but this sort of thing suits both their strengths very well. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to it.

Haha #2 & 3 - More idiosynchratic horror, and much like Ice Cream Man & the first issue of Haha, it's great - in that way that properly good horror is, where it's compelling and odd and funny but also off-kilter, creepy and worms its way into your thoughts with nagging little moments that won't leave you alone. #3 in particular is a delight because the comics industry, for some bloody awful reason, has not granted enough recognition to Roger Langridge, whose cartooning and physical acting is phenomenal and which makes him the perfect fit for this funny, weird, sad story about a lonely mime.

Rain Like Hammers #1 - I really like Graham's comics. There's something about the variety of his interests and references, the goofy humour he peppers throughout his pages, and the imaginative aspect of his stories that really works for me. This feels very contemplative and measured, in a way that's an interesting change for him - all of the elements that I like about his other comics are here, but the narrative focus is more on being, rather than doing, so to speak. It's about lots of little moments that are kind of trivial, rather than Big Plot Stuff. It took me a few pages to realise that, and after doing so I enjoyed it as a nice sedate read.

I also read Saphari by Miguel Angel Martín recently, a physical copy, having seen it on a number of "best of 2020 comics" lists in Spain. I'm not really sure what to make of it, and I'm not really sure why it got such praise. The art is good, but not astonishing - it works well for the story and rhythm, but there weren't any sequences or panels that really stood out as being exceptional art or would make you linger over them. Narratively, it is nominally a thriller - but a lot of moments, described by some reviewers as social commentary, really felt like edgy teenager "cleverness". I'm fine with stories in which every character is an arsehole, but I need to have something to engage me, and I didn't feel there was anything engaging here. I may go back to this again in a while, though, to see if I've missed something first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Working my way through the Marvel MAX line, some of them are incredible like Punisher MAX, which is easily the best Punisher ever. Then you come to War Machine MAX, which I was looking forward to, but it is the worst thing Ive ever read, its so badly drawn it hurts the eyes, the plot and dialogue are just cliched pointless gibberish. Look at this crap, thats the main guys love interest and they draw her like an ape woman through the whole thing, its actually amazing in places how bad it is:

Xtf8WoU.png

8wCNXn2.png

QJAMpGo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Punisher MAX is outstanding...I need more shelf space to get 3 and 4 :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ah, the Max line. I know Punisher Max is well regarded, but I dimly recall seeing some War Machine Max title that had horrible CGI art and just noped right out of there.

Are there any other Max titles apart from Punisher that actually ended up being good in their own right?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

It's been a while since I've read them, but I remember enjoying the Cage, Deadpool and Fury series.

• Advertisement

Some more comics reading for me, in no particular order:

Jupiter's Legacy, volume 1 - this didn't really do anything for me, so I won't be reading more. The art is grand, but nothing exceptional - and the story feels like "what if Mad Men, only with superheroes?" Except Mad Men works because of strong character writing and performance, and Millar has never been particularly good about any kind of understated or subtle character writing. At least his edgelord-adjacent tediousness is a bit more restrained here.

Twisted Romance - this was fun and had some interesting spins on what a "romance" story might be. I skipped the prose stories because reading magazine formatted text on my tablet is annoying.

Gideon Falls, volumes 1 and 2 - I enjoyed these quite a bit, and will most likely continue the rest of the series. The narrative was less predictable than the first few issues had me thinking, and there's something appealing about the scratchy artwork. This also reminds me that Hickman still hasn't gone back and finished Black Monday Murders, rather annoyingly.

An Unkindness of Ravens #1 - 3 - this is not my thing, and I don't think I'm the target audience. The artwork is nice, as are the covers - I'd be interested in reading future work by either the artist or writer - but the story teen melodrama / soap opera crossed with a bit of a The Craft/Charmed version of witchcraft. It's not bad, but it's not for me.

Something Is Killing The Children vols 1 & 2 - this was really good - good art, good writing and a setup that feels like somewhere between an 80s Spielberg film and a top-tier Stephen King. Unusually, I genuinely appreciated the cover galleries at the back of each volume and the variety of styles they featured. Definitely on for reading more of this, I just need to find a way of buying it DRM-free.

Oh, I forgot to mention Ice Cream Man vols 4 & 5. I really like these comics, they have a really strong vein of character- focused done-in-one horror that is unlike anything else on the market and, for me, they show what sorts of things comics as a medium can do really well. My only qualm was issue #17 in volume 5, which is a Superman riff (specifically commenting on All-Star Superman) - while it was well done as a homage/riff, it felt like it was falling into that really tedious type of insularity far too many Direct Market superhero comics have, which is weird for a series that has otherwise set itself an extremely broad scope. Still, one slight mis-step amongst 19 excellent issues is nothing much to gripe about.

Gideon Falls Vol 6 arriving tomorrow from Amazon ... giggity

A couple more bits chosen at random from my digital comics backlog:

Shadowman #1 - this is from the Valiant relaunch a while ago. I dimly recall hearing of Shadowman in the 90s because of the game, but hadn't ever seen the comic. Frankly, this issue did nothing to change that - the first page has some shockingly bad inner monologue, and it doesn't manage to get much better than "rote". Definitely not something I'd read more of, much less spend any money on.

Bloom County Digital Collection, Volume 1

I want to like this as the art style works for me and the tone of the dialogue generally makes me laugh. I'm hoping it becomes more confident in itself and less dependent on now-extremely-dated pop-culture references. I'll give it at least another couple of volumes to find its footing, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Fysh wrote: »

Bloom County Digital Collection, Volume 1

I want to like this as the art style works for me and the tone of the dialogue generally makes me laugh. I'm hoping it becomes more confident in itself and less dependent on now-extremely-dated pop-culture references. I'll give it at least another couple of volumes to find its footing, though.

Bloom County is one of the greats IMO. The only comic strip I would go back to every few years for a read-through.

It finds its feet a lot more after the first collection. The artwork definitely becomes more polished.

Yes, a lot of the political references in particular were already dated by the time I read it at first, and extremely american-centric, but the characters more than make up for it.
    Bill The Cat and Opus in particular.

• Advertisement

Ah, good to know. I've read good things about it, but in particular I think Watterson's willingness to do joke crossover strips with Breathed in the last few years seals the deal - Calvin & Hobbes is my all time favourite comic strip so if its infamously retiring creator is willing to collaborate with someone, that someone's work must also be pretty good :)

I finished reading the first Hack/Slash Omnibus today. I'm not really sure what to make of it - on the one hand, it's enjoyable enough as a riff on horror film conventions, and is pretty funny at times. On the other hand, the omnibus format isn't great for this material - given that it's a fairly pop-culture sort of story, having 300-odd pages in one collection just feels like an opportunity for the general gimmick to wear a bit thin. I'm not generally a fan of cheesecake in my narrative comics, and that seemed to become more pronounced as the story went on. It's not a huge problem, and I do get that it fits with the overall theme of slasher films, but still - not really my thing. Will have to see if I feel like returning to this. Although Omnibus 2 is a collection of the ongoing series rather than a collection of one shots and minis, so maybe an overall narrative throughline will help hold my interest...

Skyward vol 1 - a bit meh, unfortunately. Textbook scifi thriller lite stuff - for no obvious reason, gravity drops to a fraction of its original value. But the results of this are very inconsistent - which means that when they are a plot mcguffin, it pulls me right out of the story (e.g.
    the reduction in gravity is enough to completely change how storms work, but no change whatsoever to atmospheric density or oxygen levels
    ). This would be fine in a story where the protagonist doesn't know or care about how or why The Disaster happened, but when it's a focal point of the narrative (which is derivative and generic YA gubbins) it falls apart - or at least it does for me (I expect my scifi to ask and answer awkward questions). Don't think I'll bother with the other 2 volumes of this.

Anyone read Doomsday Clock? Watchmen crossover into the DC Universe, I thought it was just going to be a gimmick and it ends up being a damn good sequel to Watchmen, one of the best things Ive read in ages actually.

N2osFZy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone read Doomsday Clock? Watchmen crossover into the DC Universe, I thought it was just going to be a gimmick and it ends up being a damn good sequel to Watchmen, one of the best things Ive read in ages actually.

N2osFZy.png

Wasn't a fan. Just saw it as shoehorning the kudos of Watchmen into the ever-shifting, permanently retconning DC continuity.

While the TV show wasn't perfect, it built on the original world, flung in some interesting new ideas and didn't settle for being a pale imitation of the original.

Maybe that's just me being jaded with DC stuff in recent years (although I've gone back to All Star Superman, which is as great as ever...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Man of Steel by John Byrne, really good , enjoying it, classic Superman and the first comic I have ever bought!

Finally finished Gideon Falls vol 6 today out in the sunshine. Found this chapter to be the best and a very satisfying conclusion to the story.

Andrea Sorrentino puts some stunning creative twists on the comic book format in this one as they traverse deeper into the multiverse. You could frame every page and hang it on your wall as a work of art.

The appendix includes the original script so you can see how Jeff Lemire described the scene and then how Andrea interpreted it.

10/10.

What do people think of East of West? 3 issues in I'm liking it so far.

I should revisit East of West. I picked up the first trade way back when it first came out, but it didn't really gel for me, and then it seemed to disappear for a while in the unfortunate way that so many Hickman indies seem to. Now that it's complete (and I have the first few trades courtesy of some bundle or other) it would be worth a second go...

I haven't been doing too much comic reading recently, but I did get through a few things.

Ha-ha #4 - I've enjoyed all of these issues, much as I enjoy Ice Cream Man, and this issue was no exception. The variety of artists on this series is great, I wish more series were able to accommodate using different artists every month.

Love & Rockets - Human Diastrophism - for whatever reason I fancied revisiting Palomar. This was a really good read (again), although I somewhat regret not going back to Heartbreak Soup first as it meant I had to try and remember some of the character backgrounds mid-story. Much like the first time I read it, there's a part of me that thinks the whole "serial killer in Palomar" aspect of the story is a bit far-fetched, but everything else is good enough that you just go along with it. I'll be re-reading Beyond Palomar again soon, and then likely going back and picking up the subsequent volumes of Palomar Love & Rockets that I missed out on. (Maybe I should try Jamie Hernandez's stuff again as well - I like his art style and in theory there's nothing in his stories that I don't like, but I remember not getting into them first time I tried, whereas Heartbreak Soup got me almost immediately...)

Rain Like Hammers 1-5 - I'm a big Brandon Graham fanboy (to the extent of even hunting down copies of some of his early smutty comics) and this did not disappoint. He seems to be like a nexus for anime, manga, franco-belgian comics, scifi and a bunch of other cool stuff, plus he has a playfulness and whimsy in a lot of his comics that I really enjoy. RLH has a variety of characters and disparate story strands, and narratively falls somewhere between King City and Multiple Warheads - while the tone and presentation is very playful at times, the character arcs and examination have depth and are done well, with a lot of nice little grounded moments. I read the singles digitally and will pick up a physical trade of this, I think.

Up next - probably Beyond Palomar or Family Tree volume 1 (got it cheap on digital). Or, knowing me, the next volume of Bloom County. Or some other random selection from the virtual heap of unread stuff on my tablet...

Plastic - this is an image mini from a little while ago. I enjoyed this quite a lot - I wasn't sure what to expect from it at first, but "gory black comedy" probably covers it best. The humour and violence are well balanced so that neither aspect ever overpowers the other, so while the violence is frequently played for laughs we never entirely lose sight of how brutal it is. Definitely an enjoyable read, and I'd read more from the creative team in future.

Beyond Palomar - I'm making my way slowly through this. It's quite interesting, but the shift in focus to Luba's early days and a necessary widening of focus to an organised-crime power-play narrative isn't really holding my interest any more than it did first time around. There's nothing wrong with it exactly, but the supporting characters aren't interesting enough to make up for the fact that we can't really see much development of Luba's character (although we do get a bit).

Ignited #1-4 - I didn't realise that Humanoids had set up a shared-universe superhero imprint called H1 a few years back. Ordinarily I probably wouldn't care, but it's Carla Speed McNeil's involvement that interests me as I really like her work on Finder. This is a teen superhero group origin story, done reasonably well and with an interesting angle in that the event that sparks the protagonists to develop powers is a mass shooting event at their high school. I don't know if I'd necessarily seek out more of it, but these 4 issues do a good job of establishing characters and scenario.

Omni #1 - Another H1 story, this is probably my favourite of the bunch as the protagonist's abilities amount to super-intelligence but depicted and used in a much more interesting way than the Tony Stark/Reed Richards type way that superhero titles often go for. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Strangelands #1 - Another H1 story, this is definitely the weakest of the bunch for me. The art is weak, the story tries to do an in medias res thing that reeks of not having confidence in the actual story so throwing a half-baked action sequence in at the start, and the characters aren't interesting. For me, this kind of odd-couple story lives or dies on whether the dynamic between the protagonists is entertaining to watch - when it's done well you'll get sparkling dialogue and enjoy the bickering as much as the action. None of that happens here. I have digital copies of issues 2-4 but I doubt I'll bother with them on the strength of this.

Man you're flying through these! I can barely squeeze in the time what with gaming/TV/work backlogs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That work craic always gets in the way.

I got through Magnificent Ms. Marvel.
    Surprised this series isn't still going, especially with the Disney+ series coming.

I'm also reading Sandman for the first time.

Finally read the Tragical comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman and McKean. I never really cared for McKean's work, even including his Sandman covers or Arkham Asylum, but it is spectacular here, capturing mood and tone in a way I don't think I've ever seen in another comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

I am reading the third volume of collected comics of Joss Whedon's version of the Astonishing X-Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Randomly started reading Scott Pilgrim. First volume was so easy to get through.

On a whim I picked up Volume 3 of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl recently and really enjoyed it, far more than I might have guessed. The writing and art are great, and I really like the way SG tackles problems and tries to understand her antagonists and find alternative ways to end the conflict rather than just rely on punching. So I'll be reading more of this, I think.

I also ordered a bunch of comics, including the last 2 volumes of RASL (I read the first half of the series years ago when the Pocketbook collection came out, but never did see a second volume to finish the story), another SG trade, the first volume of Gotham Academy, and a few small press bits that caught my eye.

No real surprise that the first thing I read today after work was The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 1. It was, again, a really fun read - good character, good humour, entertaining stories with clever solutions to problems. The only complaint I have is something endemic to Marvel, which is that this collects 4 issues of comic and a reprint of Squirrel Girl's first appearance, and costs £15 for the privilege. Which, considering I got Volume 3 (which had more pages) for £7, new, in a high-street shop (and not discounted or on sale), stings a bit. I don't read much of anything Marvel these days so had forgotten how tightfisted they've gotten between cutting issues to 20 pages each and using that super-thin paper which makes it so easy to skip pages without realising.

Anyway. The point of this grousing is that Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is a good enough comic to make me put up with this sort of nonsense. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed taking a chance on something this much.

Next up will likely be either revisiting RASL or some small press stuff, I think.

Read the collected first volume of the Black Monday Murders. Will definitely pick up more but won't rush straight out for it.

I have those on my bookshelf listed under "Backlog"... might have to break into them, I bought all the volumes in one go as I liked the art style

Black Monday Murders is great, but appears to be suffering from Hickman Syndrome in that it's 2/3 of the way through with no indication of when the last 1/3 might start being published...

• Advertisement

As expected, RASL was my next read. It's been long enough that I'd forgotten pretty much everything except the look of the main character so this was a fun story to revisit. It also gets points for the whole "Tesla as under-appreciated genius of the 20th century" angle. The second half of the story is satisfying, although a part of me was hoping that Smith had kept one more big idea up his sleeve. In saying that, the conclusion is grounded in the characters which is almost always a better choice than a cool big idea coming out of nowhere.

After that, I decided to take a chance on the first volume of Gotham Academy. It's a bit more YA than I generally like these days, but Karl Kerschl's artwork is great and the story is pretty fun in a Harry-Potter-in-Gotham sort of way.

I have some new small press stuff waiting for me, as well as yet another bundle of digital stuff - the 2000AD bundle has another week to go and includes Halo Jones, Zenith, half a dozen Judge Dredd casefiles volumes, and most of the Dredd 2012 movieverse comics along with a lot more. Definitely worth a look.

Advertisement