Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

My other half was told what she would get (amount towards the house) once we initiated the application at the end of last month. Mine was delayed due to working offshore so one year had to be removed and I had to reapply. Still under review for the last week. I was told I had over payments on some years and they refunded me but still waiting on the application to be processed which I found to be quite slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RosieLu

Hi thanks for that. We were approved last year no problem. But we didn’t take up the offer as there were no houses being built near us at the time.

We understand the process as had been there last year. The issue we’re having is the fact that they’re now asking us to pay upfront underpayments we owe. Last year when we were approved, we had underpayments, and they just adjusted our tax credits to repay what’s owed over a few years.

I’m just wondering how this has changed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

RosieLu wrote: »
    Hi thanks for that. We were approved last year no problem. But we didn’t take up the offer as there were no houses being built near us at the time.

We understand the process as had been there last year. The issue we’re having is the fact that they’re now asking us to pay upfront underpayments we owe. Last year when we were approved, we had underpayments, and they just adjusted our tax credits to repay what’s owed over a few years.

I’m just wondering how this has changed!

I find it strange that they approved it last year. They didn’t approve mine last year and I had to pay back 2600 in one chunk of I wanted to use HTB. Took a big chunk out of my savings

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RosieLu

Yeah it is weird isn’t it! That’s interesting to know, thanks for that!! It is a big chunk out of the blue when trying to save too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

Turns out the builder can't claim the HTB after all. Bit annoying. I'm just seeing an error in my HTB claim. Has anyone an idea how long it takes revenue to reply to my enquiries, or would I be better ringing tomorrow?

Were you able to sort this out? I've a similar situation to you. Was advised to cancel my claim after we needed some details updated. Cancelled, updated and now the builder's solicitor can't take the funds. Seeing an error and I'm also seeing an error trying to access the HTB section.

Person I contacted in Revenue is equally as confused but it sounds like an error on their side. It's been "escalated" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Strobing wrote: »
    Were you able to sort this out? I've a similar situation to you. Was advised to cancel my claim after we needed some details updated. Cancelled, updated and now the builder's solicitor can't take the funds. Seeing an error and I'm also seeing an error trying to access the HTB section.

Person I contacted in Revenue is equally as confused but it sounds like an error on their side. It's been "escalated" anyway.

My situation panned out exactly like yours. Seeing errors on my side etc, and solicitor unable to claim. I rang revenue and basically was told the Help to buy crew don't take any calls, sounds like the person I was taking to was having a go slow day. This is going on nearly 3 weeks now. Today my enquiry is showing as "in progress" so hopefully It will get sorted out this week. Luckily the contractor hasn't put me under any pressure, yet at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Hi i'm at this stage:

Help To Buy Claim
    Your claim reference number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your solicitor or building contractor will require the claim reference number and the access code (sent to you at application stage of the HTB process) to verify the property prior to any refund issuing.

does my solicitor need to do something now? do I wait for revenue to contact me or my builder?

it's not exactly clear what happens next.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

cheezums wrote: »
    Hi i'm at this stage:

Help To Buy Claim
    Your claim reference number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your solicitor or building contractor will require the claim reference number and the access code (sent to you at application stage of the HTB process) to verify the property prior to any refund issuing.

does my solicitor need to do something now? do I wait for revenue to contact me or my builder?

it's not exactly clear what happens next.
    Your solicitor will ask you for them when the developer's solicitor comes looking the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Mine got cancelled again, no explanation. Submitted again, sent a query asking about it nearly two weeks ago with no response. Tried calling two days later but was told that they couldn't help, only the HTB department could help and they'd get back to me withink 2 days, but now that's over a week and a half ago. It doesn't even give a reference number now. It says it's awaiting partnership confirmation and has this message:
    More information
    Your application cannot proceed because either you have outstanding issues on your tax affairs or all group members have not confirmed membership of the group. When these issues are resolved this application can proceed.

The whole thing is very frustrating. We've paid off all of our previously undercharged taxes and we're still seeing this. I don't understand how this whole thing isn't just automated to give quick approval, or to quickly say any outstanding issues so they can be solved instead of cancelling without explanation after weeks of waiting and sending you back to square one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

C14N wrote: »
    Mine got cancelled again, no explanation. Submitted again, sent a query asking about it nearly two weeks ago with no response. Tried calling two days later but was told that they couldn't help, only the HTB department could help and they'd get back to me withink 2 days, but now that's over a week and a half ago. It doesn't even give a reference number now. It says it's awaiting partnership confirmation and has this message:

The whole thing is very frustrating. We've paid off all of our previously undercharged taxes and we're still seeing this. I don't understand how this whole thing isn't just automated to give quick approval, or to quickly say any outstanding issues so they can be solved instead of cancelling without explanation after weeks of waiting and sending you back to square one.

Request a tax clearance certificate and it should give you your issues, no?

Sheeps wrote: »
    Request a tax clearance certificate and it should give you your issues, no?

I suppose it's worth a try, although calling PAYE department up confirmed there are no outstanding taxes left to be paid at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Our HTB applicaiton has been sitting in under view for a month or so.

There should be no reason for it to be held up as our tax situation is fairly simply. Is there any way to get revenue to expedite the approval?
    Reading through the post it seems contacting through MyEnquiriies is the only way as they can't be reached by phone.

Has anyone been able to do anything over the phone to expedite this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

My situation panned out exactly like yours. Seeing errors on my side etc, and solicitor unable to claim. I rang revenue and basically was told the Help to buy crew don't take any calls, sounds like the person I was taking to was having a go slow day. This is going on nearly 3 weeks now. Today my enquiry is showing as "in progress" so hopefully It will get sorted out this week. Luckily the contractor hasn't put me under any pressure, yet at least!

Got sorted with this in the end, sounded like an error with their system! Thanks for sharing your experience anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nd272

cromelex wrote: »
    Our HTB applicaiton has been sitting in under view for a month or so.

There should be no reason for it to be held up as our tax situation is fairly simply. Is there any way to get revenue to expedite the approval?
    Reading through the post it seems contacting through MyEnquiriies is the only way as they can't be reached by phone.

Has anyone been able to do anything over the phone to expedite this?

Hi there,

I had a similar issue to yourself so what it came down to was that in order to get my exception approved the bank and builders solicitors needed login codes and approval amounts which were delayed.

Solicitor sent me email to upload along with letter from bank stating they needed the htb approval as contracts were in and I needed to sign. I just kept sending them messages and in fairness once I uploaded the contracts as proof I had the confirmation within an hour. I also rang the revenue and stated same and the girl on phone escalated to management as I told them I would lose my house if I couldn’t sign papers.

Strobing wrote: »
    Got sorted with this in the end, sounded like an error with their system! Thanks for sharing your experience anyway :D

It took pretty much the 20 days they give themselves to sort issues out to sort my issue out. Sorted out last week, about a week after "in progess" came up on my enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nd272

So I got word today from solicitor all is signed and to upload the final contract so I can get the final claim number.

Uploaded final contracts and a copy of loan agreement for mortgage.

Get to last step and it gives me error once I press submit saying come back later.

This happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

nd272 wrote: »
    So I got word today from solicitor all is signed and to upload the final contract so I can get the final claim number.

Uploaded final contracts and a copy of loan agreement for mortgage.

Get to last step and it gives me error once I press submit saying come back later.

This happened to anyone else?

came in here to ask the exact same question. Tried early in the morning and late this evening and same error each time. Sent them an email but good to know it's not just my claim!

My bank is currently witholding second stage payment until help to buy is resolved which is causing a lot of problems. I'm not sure what the help to buy has to do with the mortgage to be honest, its a self build. Any ideas? The help to buy goes directly into my account I was told, not a payment to the builder.

came in here to ask the exact same question. Tried early in the morning and late this evening and same error each time. Sent them an email but good to know it's not just my claim!

This has happened several people on here. Myself included. I made an error with paperwork I submitted which I thought was the cause of the error, but maybe it wasn't.

Sending a query on myenquiries will get it sorted out but they give themselves 4 weeks to sort queries out and will probably take nearly the 4 weeks to resolve your error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Are people expecting the 30k HTB to be extended into next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah I would

The government would get seriously slated if they stopped the scheme after not allowing construction earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bdos1

When doing the 'claim' stage of the Help To Buy - it mentions signed contracts need to be uploaded and also Letter of Offer from the bank...

Does the Letter Of Offer have to be the signed version the solicitor has? Or can it be the unsigned copy which I received in the post initially? Can anyone confirm?

Finally got approved for my Help To Buy for the full €30k after the only new development I was interested in now looks like a dead end :') Oh well, I suppose it's there now in case of emergency anyway.

funds finally in my account. about a week after I sent through proof of first drawdown. I did send an enquiry asking what the status was with a letter from my bank saying they won't release next drawdown until it's all sorted which may have sped it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Normajeanjones

Does anyone know if there is anyway to get the Help to Buy if my loan to value would be less than 70%?

I’m a single buyer with good savings but in order to get up to the purchase price of a new build in my area (circa 350k) I’ll be getting a gift from my parents bringing my loan to value ratio to around 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Does anyone know if there is anyway to get the Help to Buy if my loan to value would be less than 70%?

I’m a single buyer with good savings but in order to get up to the purchase price of a new build in my area (circa 350k) I’ll be getting a gift from my parents bringing my loan to value ratio to around 60%.

Nope the clue is in the name. It also looks like you have plenty of help as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Hi all, apologies if it has been covered but I went back to page 250 and could only find one post about it.
    Renjit wrote: »
    You will be eligible for previous 4 years worth of tax or 30k (under enhanced HTB) whichever is lowest.

So, lets say you create HTB application in 2021 then you will be able to claim taxes for 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017.

If total taxes you paid is 50k for these past 4 years then you will only be able to claim max 30k to pay towards the deposit for the property price.

And if total taxes you paid is 20k for these past 4 years then you will only be able to claim max 20k to pay towards the deposit for the property price.
    Myself and my partner are HTB approved for just shy of 23k as a joint application. I can avail of 10k and herself 12-13k.

We have each went back and calculated taxes paid in the last 4 years through our SOL on revenue website and both add up to approx 50k in taxes together over the last 4 years. Yet, we are still only approved for 23k of a max 30k.

Has anyone else experiences similar? We have an enquiry in with Revenue but god knows how long that will take. Appreciate any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies if it has been covered but I went back to page 250 and could only find one post about it.

Myself and my partner are HTB approved for just shy of 23k as a joint application. I can avail of 10k and herself 12-13k.

We have each went back and calculated taxes paid in the last 4 years through our SOL on revenue website and both add up to approx 50k in taxes together over the last 4 years. Yet, we are still only approved for 23k of a max 30k.

Has anyone else experiences similar? We have an enquiry in with Revenue but god knows how long that will take. Appreciate any info.

Did any of you avail benefits from government earlier? That gets subtracted. Anyway, you will have reply from the enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Afraid to post it in fear of sounding so stupid, but when we calculated tax paid the previous year we forgot that tax credits was included in the figure we were looking at.... Seems to work out without including tax credits.

Advertisement