Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance before divorce, is ex entitled to anything?

Options
  • 10-06-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello. I'm hoping some one can give me a bit of advise. I'm going through divorce this year, but at some stage this year I am due to receive inheritance money of approximately €55000. My question is, will my ex husband be intitled to any of this money?
    A bit of background information. Separated over 5 years. No official separation agreement in place. 2 children which i have full time, as ex has stopped access since January. Ex pays me 11 euro per child a week maintenance. No property or assets to dispute in divorce.
    I'm confused and worried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Iguarantee

bocflower wrote: »
    Hello. I'm hoping some one can give me a bit of advise. I'm going through divorce this year, but at some stage this year I am due to receive inheritance money of approximately €55000. My question is, will my ex husband be intitled to any of this money?
    A bit of background information. Separated over 5 years. No official separation agreement in place. 2 children which i have full time, as ex has stopped access since January. Ex pays me 11 euro per child a week maintenance. No property or assets to dispute in divorce.
    I'm confused and worried.

Speak to a qualified, practicing solicitor that deals with family law for the most relevant information.

Do not heed advice on an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

He's not even your ex if your just separated? He is legally your husband. +1 to get legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any assets that are in play until your divorce is finalised will be listed on your Affidavit of Means, so technically, yes, she could be entitled to part of your inheritance, but only insofar as it forms part of your overall net worth and whatever order the judge makes (if any) in relation to spousal maintenance. But it's certainly not the case that your ex can go "Ooh, an inheritance, you now owe me €27,500, thanks".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You need to engage.a Solicitor

Advertisement