Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being asked for contribution

• 21-09-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

I would like peoples opinion here, we live in an estate where we have a common green area. Couple of the locals decided to do up the green area - put some underlay, mulch, flowering plants etc. We thought maybe some of them had some free time and decided to do it up.

Well 2 weeks ago we got a letter saying that such and such was done and they are looking for €100 contribution towards it. With plans to add more improvements over the course of the year.

The letter wasn't a demand, but merely a request for the work they did. There are close to 40 houses in the estate, so if everyone would donate that will be €4,000

I don't feel like contributing, but the OH says we should - considering we live in the estate. What are people's thoughts on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id ask for a copy of receipts. I had a mate living in an estate with a similar scenario before, turns out the mastermind behind the whole thing's son was the landscaper doing the work and he had built in 200 a day labour for 5 days into the 'donations' spending.

if its just to buy gravel and mulch etc.. thats grand but with so many out of work id especially question if it was a cash grab.

Will it improve your estate and will you/wife be ok with being one of the few who won’t pay?

I doubt they are taking payment themselves, if you have cause to be suspicious of the costs involved, just say you would like a printout of costs at the end of the year.

They can’t force you to pay, but having a nicely kept estate would be important to most development owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

id ask for a copy of receipts. I had a mate living in an estate with a similar scenario before, turns out the mastermind behind the whole thing's son was the landscaper doing the work and he had built in 200 a day labour for 5 days into the 'donations' spending.

if its just to buy gravel and mulch etc.. thats grand but with so many out of work id especially question if it was a cash grab.

Yeah true - But is it common for such a thing. From what I can tell none of us we're asked for input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They completely did this the wrong way around.

I wouldn't mind contributing to something like this at all, would be lovely to have someone take it upon themselves to do up the green area.

However, it's the presumptive going ahead with it and then sending me the bill after that would annoy me.

They should have sent a letter around saying that they were going to take it upon themselves to do this and they estimate it would cost x amount per household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Well 2 weeks ago we got a letter saying that such and such was done and they are looking for €100 contribution towards it. With plans to add more improvements over the course of the year.

The letter wasn't a demand, but merely a request for the work they did. There are close to 40 houses in the estate, so if everyone would donate that will be €4,000

I don't feel like contributing, but the OH says we should

If you believe €100 is excessive you can see what was done, you can see what is planned.
    Bear in mind that not all 40 houses will contribute.
    You would be surprised how many residents will contribute nada.

Ultimately you have a choice, get involved or do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We have this where I live and I do pay it. It is done by the resident association. The process is very transparent. Accounts/quotes are put in your letterbox if you were not at the meeting. It makes the estate looks well and does add to house value. Money is dropped into one house and they ask that it is dropped in anonymous.

Yeah true - But is it common for such a thing. From what I can tell none of us we're asked for input.

sadly so. Theres always one Del Boy with a ride on mower in an estate who reckons he can get a swift few hundred a year to cut some grass or plant a tree.

Miaireland wrote: »
    We have this where I live and I do pay it. It is done by the resident association. The process is very transparent. Accounts/quotes are put in your letterbox if you were not at the meeting. It makes the estate looks well and does add to house value. Money is dropped into one house and they ask that it is dropped in anonymous.

this is absolutely the right way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you feel it’s worth it contribute but make it clear that there should be a statement of what was actually spent and that you won’t be contributing again unless it’s notified beforehand.

So the 100 euro ain't a problem. But we are part of a local WhatsApp group too, why not post on it saying we plan to do up the green, any suggestions etc. Make everyone feel part of the process and maybe help out with some of the work etc.

I am also not scared they will run off with the money. Just the fact we aren't asked for opinions or suggestions, but only to pay the contribution.

• Advertisement

sadly so. Theres always one Del Boy with a ride on mower in an estate who reckons he can get a swift few hundred a year to cut some grass or plant a tree.

You must live in a rough spot , my experience of this has always been people giving their time with no personal gain. We were part of the group in one place we lived, no one ever took a cent for themselves and it was very satisfying for everyone involved to look at how nice the place looked. I have no doubt it added value to our house when we sold it as the estate looked like a really nice place to live.

So the 100 euro ain't a problem. But we are part of a local WhatsApp group too, why not post on it saying we plan to do up the green, any suggestions etc. Make everyone feel part of the process and maybe help out with some of the work etc.

I am also not scared they will run off with the money. Just the fact we aren't asked for opinions or suggestions, but only to pay the contribution.

Ask 40 people for suggestions, you get 40 different suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

4k is a massive amount and I’d be very hesitant not only to see someone stung for this, but to also allow a precedent be set for this kind of retrospective spending and then asking for money. I’d also worry about personal ( ie awful) projects being indertaken by an enthuiastic few that are garish, downgrade the area or are hust expensive vanity projects that change the integrity of the area/green. . I’ve seen it before ( the doo-er uppers) and I would agree that there has to be some kind of majority advance concensus. I’d also be asking to see accounts for the spend - if the 4k figure is real then there should be some accountability for it. For some e100 is a lot, and often others just reap the benefits but will always refuse to contribute. They may have been bored or overenthuiastic but it sets a poor precedent and I would worry about it becoming a repeat event and source of financial embarassment and hostility between neighbours.

( Mulch/bark blows away. I personally consider it a total waste of money albeit temporarily pretty).

4k is a massive amount and I’d be very hesitant not only to see someone stung for this, but to also allow a precedent be set for this kind of retrospective spending and then asking for money. I’d also worry about personal ( ie awful) projects being indertaken by an enthuiastic few that are garish, downgrade the area or are hust expensive vanity projects that change the integrity of the area/green. . I’ve seen it before ( the doo-er uppers) and I would agree that there has to be some kind of majority advance concensus. I’d also be asking to see accounts for the spend - if the 4k figure is real then there should be some accountability for it. For some e100 is a lot, and often others just reap the benefits but will always refuse to contribute. They may have been bored or overenthuiastic but it sets a poor precedent and I would worry about it becoming a repeat event and source of financial embarassment and hostility between neighbours.

( Mulch/bark blows away. I personally consider it a total waste of money albeit temporarily pretty).

Makes you wonder why anyone bothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

We are coming into winter time now and frosts are expected next week. WTF is the point of putting out flowers and mulch at this time of the year? €100 is a lot of money.

Busybodies look for easy tax free cash, IMO. Ignore it.

If it improves the area I wouldn't have a problem contributing as it will make the place look better and may increase the value of the houses.

But if it was a load of unnecessary work I'd be letting them know not to come knocking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

100 quid per household does seem very steep in fairness. Its no harm asking politely on your whats app group, if they can post a breakdown of the expenses /accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They should have consulted people in advance. There’s no excuse with WhatsApp already being used in your estate.

They should also be providing a detailed breakdown of exactly what was spent to date and what costs they have planned for the remainder of the work.

Throwing down a few bags of mulch and then expecting €100 from everyone without being up front and clear is a bit rich.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ask 40 people for suggestions, you get 40 different suggestions.
    Makes you wonder why anyone bothers.

For a person who made the earlier comment, you certainly don't like other people giving their opinions right ? :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think I will just give it this time - After all it is 100 bucks and we may stay in the estate for a while !

Will ask for breakdown of the prices too

• Advertisement

For a person who made the earlier comment, you certainly don't like other people giving their opinions right ? :rolleyes:

Tom, have you any reason to think your neighbours are pocketing cash or in this for personal gain? To accept some of the crap posted here, is so assume you live next to thieving scumbags trying to shaft their neighbours.

Tom, have you any reason to think your neighbours are pocketing cash or in this for personal gain? To accept some of the crap posted here, is so assume you live next to thieving scumbags trying to shaft their neighbours.

But I think having multiple point of view is good to make a decision !

Me and the OH have spoke about this in length and the reason I posted this here is to get some more opinions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Putting down flowering plants the last week of September isn't very bright?

You would need a vast quantity of said plants to reach 4k!! Have they created a center park type environment?

I always support enthusiasm but you can't be serious in this case.

Secondly its generally better to discuss and propose any idea first before undertaking and spending your own money. Usually money is collected and the money buys what it can. I have never had a scenario where individuals spend 4k and hope their neighbours will reimburse them??

How realistic does that sound?

I would want every receipt and cost marked out before I parted with cash. Maybe post a picture of this work they have done.....

I’ve posted already but I’d like to add, make sure all the money is going on materials. If these people are looking for money for their time I’d be telling them to do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

€100 now, how much in the future? How much per year?
    Asking for money without saying how the money was spent is suspicious, especially when the pinch is being felt by everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Lantus wrote: »
    Putting down flowering plants the last week of September isn't very bright?
    it is when you plant spring bulbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

it is when you plant spring bulbs

and autumn bedding plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭daheff

100eur is a lot. I live in a similar sized estate and that kinda money also pays for grass cutting for the green areas.....and some kids events.

Sounds to me like somebody is turning a profit on this......if they have a reasonable return expect a second call for money next year for a tidy up & new plants again.

OP, I think you'd be foolish to just handover 100 quid without knowing how they came to that number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Miaireland wrote: »

Thats the only proper way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Are you already paying a management company? If so surely they should be the ones organizing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Well thats community spirit for you, isn't it great to have neighbors that are happy to give up their time.

However, they should set up a residence ass and do things the right way.
    Why dont you pop around and ask to see the receipts

"hey all, the new area looks great, good work on doing it up. i am definitely happy to contribute to projects like this. i was just wondering if someone could give me a breakdown of the costs? also are there any plans to do more of this? again happy to throw in the money thanks"
    is prob what i'd go with... you're not a stinge, you're asking for a breakdown, you're saying you want to know in advance so they don't surprise you again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

100 is a bit much , unless they building walls, adding benches , tables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭E30M3

bluewolf wrote: »
    "hey all, the new area looks great, good work on doing it up. i am definitely happy to contribute to projects like this. i was just wondering if someone could give me a breakdown of the costs? also are there any plans to do more of this? again happy to throw in the money thanks"
    is prob what i'd go with... you're not a stinge, you're asking for a breakdown, you're saying you want to know in advance so they don't surprise you again

And are you volunteering your own time and energy also? Frankly when asked for a contribution towards estate upkeep (the estate hadn't been taken in charge by the council) I paid up promptly and thanked the organisers for giving of their time. I was only too glad to have people prepared to organise the grass and hedge cutting as the estate needed it.
    I would feel a bit distrusted if asked for a breakdown without offering to help.

Either get involved and contribute or just contribute would be my view but I'd be very careful as to how I'd query the costs incurred if not offering to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Does the work actually look like it cost four grand is the big question here.

E30M3 wrote: »
    Either get involved and contribute or just contribute would be my view but I'd be very careful as to how I'd query the costs incurred if not offering to help.

Whats wrong with asking how the costs add up? the world is gone mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Lol reading this thread makes me see why so many estates are sh1tholes.
    100 freaking euro and you don't have to lift a finger and the estate is improved.
    I also don't get where people are saying 4k- I'd say they will be lucky to gather 1500.
    I live in an estate of about 80 houses spread out with a few green areas. We gladly pay 100 every year and the residents committee who look after the place arrange for grass cutting, trees cut back and every third year the edges around the whole estate are done by a machine.
    They also buy a lot of tools and one of the guys stores them in a work shop he has.
    Also a bbq with bouncy castles etc every summer for the kids.
    Great value in my opinion to keep the estate looking great.

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Are you already paying a management company? If so surely they should be the ones organizing it?

Nope - it is housing estate and it is a common green area at the start of the estate. (maybe 40m x 20m) - so fairly small

So just to add some more info - They are doing a raised bed of sorts, topsoil, mulch with underlay - 4 trees evenly spaced, couple of baskets being put on the concrete wall for flowers, crawling plants along the concrete wall and some random small bush plants of sorts. They are adding two benches for folks to sit as well.

All the work being done is towards the side of the green area, where it meets the boundary wall of a property. So only a small portion of the green is being done.

Honestly I threw the 100 euro earlier today, but lets just say I will think hard if they come again looking for money in few years ! Especially if they do the work and then ask folks for money, think it ain't fair.

• Advertisement

You'd want to tell them not to get used to it without receipts in future.

100 freaking euro and you don't have to lift a finger and the estate is improved.
    I also don't get where people are saying 4k- I'd say they will be lucky to gather 1500.
    I live in an estate of about 80 houses spread out with a few green areas. We gladly pay 100 every year and the residents committee who look after the place arrange for grass cutting, trees cut back and every third year the edges around the whole estate are done by a machine.
    They also buy a lot of tools and one of the guys stores them in a work shop he has.

So the grass cutting is already done by the county council and every few years they do trim all the branches and such.

inthenip wrote: »
    Does the work actually look like it cost four grand is the big question here.

I am certain it isn't 4k worth. A good 40% will be renters so assuming they won't fork the money ! So maybe they are expecting a lot less.

Whats wrong with asking how the costs add up? the world is gone mad

I didn't say it was wrong to asked I said I'd be careful how I phrased it, The people who made the effort may feel as if their integrity and/or honesty are in question if it handled in an inappropriate way.

E30M3 wrote: »
    I didn't say it was wrong to asked I said I'd be careful how I phrased it, The people who made the effort may feel as if their integrity and/or honesty are in question if it handled in an inappropriate way.

In this country it's become a fair assumption. I'd be dubious when they haven't offered any breakdown without being asked anyway, doesn't bode well.

In this country it's become a fair assumption. I'd be dubious when they haven't offered any breakdown without being asked anyway, doesn't bode well.

I can think of more effective get rich quick schemes TBH.

But the OP made it clear this wasn’t done by a residents committee, some people got together did the work then come looking for the money. The intentions were probably good but that’s no way to go about doing things. Most people posted about the order of doing things as opposed to saying don’t pay. Handing over money without knowing where the cash is actually going is foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

salmocab wrote: »
    But the OP made it clear this wasn’t done by a residents committee, some people got together did the work then come looking for the money. The intentions were probably good but that’s no way to go about doing things. Most people posted about the order of doing things as opposed to saying don’t pay. Handing over money without knowing where the cash is actually going is foolish.

No I realise that it was a few go getters from the estate that got up off their ar$es to try and make the place look nicer.
    Be a lot of people in this thread would be better off doing the same rather than sitting on their holes moaning and looking for receipts and breakdowns.
    That's not directed at you op you were only asking for advice as opposed to all the forensic accountants in here.

No I realise that it was a few go getters from the estate that got up off their ar$es to try and make the place look nicer.
    Be a lot of people in this thread would be better off doing the same rather than sitting on their holes moaning and looking for receipts and breakdowns.
    That's not directed at you op you were only asking for advice as opposed to all the forensic accountants in here.

Apparently those that do want to make the place look better are schemers, chancers and thieves. Who would have known so many posters live in really dodgy estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Dav010 wrote:
    Apparently those that do want to make the place look better are schemers, chancers and thieves. Who would have known so many posters live in really dodgy estates.

To be fair, it was fairly presumptive if them to just go ahead and do it maverick style without any consultation. Their idea of making the place look better may not match everyone else's

• Advertisement
Advertisement