Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for moving to Dublin

Options
  • 10-10-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I am moving to Dublin from abroad to start working in the city centre (Rathmines and Dame St.). I have been looking at various areas in which to rent, but unfortunately I don't know the city very well. I have two big dogs who need a lot of exercise, so I would like to be close to the Phoenix Park or another large green area, and ideally I would like to be within a 30-40 minute bicycle commute to work. I have no idea how realistic that is, but I'd really appreciate some advice from anyone who is familiar with the city. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

breadevery wrote: »
    I am moving to Dublin from abroad to start working in the city centre (Rathmines and Dame St.). I have been looking at various areas in which to rent, but unfortunately I don't know the city very well. I have two big dogs who need a lot of exercise, so I would like to be close to the Phoenix Park or another large green area, and ideally I would like to be within a 30-40 minute bicycle commute to work. I have no idea how realistic that is, but I'd really appreciate some advice from anyone who is familiar with the city. Thanks.

Try Dublin 15 . You can cycle into town with lots of Parks locally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Try Dublin 15 . You can cycle into town with lots of Parks locally

Also try Dublin 7, it runs along side the park and is a little closer to town. But D15 is a good option too. Both also have access to a rail link into town too.

Just keep in mind that it's going to be very very difficult to find a place to rent that will allow you keep two dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just keep in mind that it's going to be very very difficult to find a place to rent that will allow you keep two dogs.

Precisely. Rules out almost every apartment for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This could be a good option for you:
    http://www.daft.ie/21594543

If it's just yourself, you could probably rent out the other rooms easy enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

cormie wrote: »
    This could be a good option for you:
    http://www.daft.ie/21594543

If it's just yourself, you could probably rent out the other rooms easy enough?

Looks like the kind of place two dogs could get stuck into 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dublin 8? Also adds in the War Memorial Park and IMMA/Royal Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 breadevery

Thanks very much for all of the replies, it's really helpful. Does anybody have experience of renting with dogs? How hard is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat123456

Hi Op,

I have experience renting with two dogs. It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Most landlords that I rang wouldn't entertain it. We had to rent in Kildare until we bought a place in Dublin. The only places that allowed dogs were well over the 2k a month mark. Would you consider Naas or celbridge? The train goes into town from here. What type of dogs do you have? From a landlords point of view why would they rent to someone with dogs when other people are queuing up to rent with no dogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

You will have a nightmare trying to get landlords to agree to allow you to keep any pets whatsoever. Best you can do is offer an extra deposit to cover any potential damage caused. Other than that, wouldn't recommend it of course but the only other way around it is to keep hush hush about it. Remember to exercise your rights in that the landlord/agency are not allowed to turn up without an agreed 'appointment'.

I'll say again, obviously it is wrong to do this. In reality you should find a landlord that's happy to let you keep pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 breadevery

Thanks for the replies. We'd really prefer to be in Dublin unless it was absolutely impossible. The dogs are big mongrels, both under 2 years old, and they are pretty energetic. I can completely understand why landlords would be reluctant, I suppose I was just hopeful having dogs wouldn't be such a big issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

breadevery wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. We'd really prefer to be in Dublin unless it was absolutely impossible. The dogs are big mongrels, both under 2 years old, and they are pretty energetic. I can completely understand why landlords would be reluctant, I suppose I was just hopeful having dogs wouldn't be such a big issue!

Your main problem is that the number of prospective tenants in Dublin by far outnumbers the supply of properties. Take out apartments (see above) and your market is even smaller. Then the landlord has the choice between renting to tenants with dogs or without dogs. With an eye to protecting their asset you will lose out potentially every time. It is THAT hard to rent with dogs in Dublin at the moment, it's almost that hard to rent without them!

Advertisement