Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on buying in Kilcross Square, Sandyford and The Tenters, D8?

Options
  • 19-05-2015 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, hoping someone can share some advice with me here.

I'm looking to buy a place in the Sandyford/Dundrum/D6 area. I've a few viewings lined up but I'm uncertain about the areas. I've lived in Dublin for all of my adult life, Northside and Southside, but I find myself much more 'wary' of areas when it comes to actually buying! I've a few viewings in Dundrum and Sandyford this week. I'm also looking at a place in D6 and D6w. Sandyford is the only area I'm not too well versed in. I didn't realise there were dodgy parts to it at all and I've a severe case of 'google-itus' now! I've ruled out anywhere past Sandyford, because it was already a stretch in terms of proximity to town. That said, I'm going on personal preference as I can work from anywhere - so I'm open to suggestions!

The main reason I'm posting here is that I found a place I love in Kilcross Square in Sandyford. However, a quick google search re: the area didn't exactly bode well. I was going to rule it out completely, but I wanted to ask you guys first. Is it really that bad? There seems to be a council estate right beside it? My main concern is safety, especially since it's a fair walk to the Luas. I won't be driving for a few months either.

The other place I'm unsure of, is a townhouse in The Tenters, D8. Does anyone here know much about that area? It's an amazing place, but it's older and I'm not keen on any of the surrounding areas - like Cork street etc. Another concern about buying an actual house is safety, as I'll be out of the country quite often, for extended periods of time. Also, I'll most likely airbnb the place during those periods, so being near town would be helpful for that.

Budget is 300k for a cash sale, but I'm looking at less than that preferably, it'd need to be in turnkey condition for the full 300.

Any help at all would be great. I'm not exactly a pro at this...as you may have noticed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

I personally would be wary buying in Kilcross Square..
    A friend was renting there and had constant stories about cars being burned etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PetuniaT

I looked at that apartment in Kilcross Square about six weeks ago when it was up with another agent. It's a nice enough apartment but your patio is certainly not a "sun trap for al fresco dining" as it's facing the wrong direction and is at the entrance to the block so you have 17 apartments worth of people walking by all day. You have to access it through Kilcross Estate which is rough and there's a lot of social housing and rented properties up there. I personally turned it down and the agent rang several times trying to get me to bite. It was sale agreed at beginning of year for 238K but fell through and I was being offered it for 220K cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PetuniaT

Check out Stepaside as most of the apartments there are walking distance to Glencairn Luas stop. Anything up in Bracken Hill/Simonsridge/Sandyford View beside Kilcross Square can be quite bleak in the winter and the wind is wicked up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Mistalee wrote: »

The other place I'm unsure of, is a townhouse in The Tenters, D8. Does anyone here know much about that area? It's an amazing place, but it's older and I'm not keen on any of the surrounding areas - like Cork street etc. Another concern about buying an actual house is safety, as I'll be out of the country quite often, for extended periods of time. Also, I'll most likely airbnb the place during those periods, so being near town would be helpful for that.

Budget is 300k for a cash sale, but I'm looking at less than that preferably, it'd need to be in turnkey condition for the full 300.

Any help at all would be great. I'm not exactly a pro at this...as you may have noticed!

There are a couple of threads here about D8 and one specifically about the Tenters actually. D8 Cork/Thomas street are grand. You'll have a few howyas walking about but safetywise it's fine. Thomas Street especially has been upgraded and I personally love the butchers, green grocers and fish mongers. I lived in D8 for almost 15 years loved it. Would have stayed if we could have found the right sized house and garden for under 300K.

My wife has a habit of walking back when she's been out in town in the wee hours, bar one incident coming home from work with local kids she never had a spot of bother. I'd be much less happy with her walking back through a deserted estate tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mistalee wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone can share some advice with me here.

I'm looking to buy a place in the Sandyford/Dundrum/D6 area. I've a few viewings lined up but I'm uncertain about the areas. I've lived in Dublin for all of my adult life, Northside and Southside, but I find myself much more 'wary' of areas when it comes to actually buying! I've a few viewings in Dundrum and Sandyford this week. I'm also looking at a place in D6 and D6w. Sandyford is the only area I'm not too well versed in. I didn't realise there were dodgy parts to it at all and I've a severe case of 'google-itus' now! I've ruled out anywhere past Sandyford, because it was already a stretch in terms of proximity to town. That said, I'm going on personal preference as I can work from anywhere - so I'm open to suggestions!

The main reason I'm posting here is that I found a place I love in Kilcross Square in Sandyford. However, a quick google search re: the area didn't exactly bode well. I was going to rule it out completely, but I wanted to ask you guys first. Is it really that bad? There seems to be a council estate right beside it? My main concern is safety, especially since it's a fair walk to the Luas. I won't be driving for a few months either.

Avoid Kilcross ..........

The Tenters, despite how intimidating the surrounding areas may appear, is totally fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mistalee

PetuniaT wrote: »
    Check out Stepaside as most of the apartments there are walking distance to Glencairn Luas stop. Anything up in Bracken Hill/Simonsridge/Sandyford View beside Kilcross Square can be quite bleak in the winter and the wind is wicked up there

Thanks a mil for the tip on Kilcross, that was the apt alright! I couldn't figure out why it was so cheap!!

I'm actually in a short term place in Stepaside at the moment and I'm not mad keen on it to be honest. It's just too far out and too 'country'. I'm looking for a kind of happy medium! The problem is, all of the apartments in town are like replica boxes of each other. And small boxes, at that. I'm getting so frustrated at this stage, that I'm just thinking of leaving it and waiting to buy abroad at some stage. I've a US visa in the works to move there, but I was going to do a few months first to see how I got on, and get somewhere in Dublin as a 'base' in the meantime. It might just be better to go, and then look at buying a place later. Ugh, decisions.

I hate being a grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mistalee

There are a couple of threads here about D8 and one specifically about the Tenters actually. D8 Cork/Thomas street are grand. You'll have a few howyas walking about but safetywise it's fine. Thomas Street especially has been upgraded and I personally love the butchers, green grocers and fish mongers. I lived in D8 for almost 15 years loved it. Would have stayed if we could have found the right sized house and garden for under 300K.

My wife has a habit of walking back when she's been out in town in the wee hours, bar one incident coming home from work with local kids she never had a spot of bother. I'd be much less happy with her walking back through a deserted estate tbh.

I actually read that thread earlier, thanks! I suppose I just wanted to get as much info as possible really. I had a friend living on Cork st before and I wasn't keen on it at all. I've also lived near Dolphins Barn previously and I'd never go back to living around there. I just didn't feel safe. Probably because my place was broken into, but still, that's kind of the point :/

The Tenters seems okay though and it's so central too. Found a nice house with a lovely garden there for 320, with movement for a cash sale...it's really caught my eye but I've the fear of God in me now about all the 'home improvements' that are invisible when it comes to older houses - til you've bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I work for a large IT multi national in the tenters area, that area is gentrifying a little over the years and is perfectly fine. You have one of the best hipster restaurants in Dublin based there, the fumbaly , Google it. You're 10 -15 mins walk to georges st and the green .

My employers office over looks the back gardens of a row of red brick terraced houses and I can tell from the fancy extensions out the back of the houses that there is money moving into the area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FJ1965

I have lived in a Kilcross Apartment for nearly 11 Years now and have never had any problems with the people there! Granted you do get the odd person who thinks banging doors and moving furniture at 3am in the morning is the norm but mainly the place and people are fine! It is handy having the Centra/Chemist/Dentist just down the way and also the 114 is a good bus route Monday - Saturday and although the 44 route is not the best once you time it there should be no problem! Sandyford Village has a lovely Coffee Shop called Ground which have excellent Coffees, Sandwiches and Lunches and there is also the Sandyford House Pub which is a good place to go to for a few drinks or a nice lunch! Dundrum is just down the road and boasts the well known Dundrum Shopping Centre so a good choice of places to go!

I have walked through the Kilcross Estate by myself and with people and never had any problems in all these years there! Just wanted to put a different slant on Kilcross as some people seem to think that the people who live in the Social Housing are rough but I would say at least 99.9% of the people are fine but as always (in Private Estates too) you will get a certain amount of people who are Anti-Social !

Advertisement