Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Commando" Ski Raids!

Options
  • 24-01-2012 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

I was just looking at integrating skiing with life in Ireland and going on regular short trips, rather than the big annual ski holiday as im currently free midweek.

I've noticed for example you could go Oslo with Ryanair for about 50 quid return mid week and get in a day and half skiing (a lot of there ski parks are open until 10PM). Also, there are some odd little resorts and ski parks in Norway that you could explore but for anything really decent I suppose you have to go as far as Hafjell. The downside to this is things like food and accom are a fortune in Norway! So it defeats the purpose.

You can also fly reasonably cheaply to Grenoble ATM but I don't know if the French have figured out accom bookings that aren't Saturday to Saturday!

Anyway, I'm wondering has anyone here got good experience of lightning fast, minimum fuss ski trips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Just back from a Wednesday to Sunday in Mayrhofen, flying into Munich with Aerlingus. 50 a night with breakfast.

Very easy to get to anywhere in Austria by train, although transfers are about 3 hrs +, even easier to southern Germany like Oberstdorf.

Can eat on a shoe string in Austria/germany too if you are not fussy and if you can book in advance you can get something for around 40-50 b&b a night.

Theres also Czech Republic and Slovakia, that have some really good Skiiing if you can get a cheap flight, everything else will be really cheap too. As little as a tenner a night.

Avoid Poland, as it is very limited, unless using it to get to Slovakia's resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I would look at bad gastein as it is close to Salzburg by rail and the station is right in town I think there is a hostel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Did Zurich Thurs evening to Sun night a couple of weeks back, 3 full days skiing for 3 nights accom

only prob with the Thur evening flight was it was too late for train connections. If you fly out with Swiss instead, and back with Aer Lingus then the Swiss flight gets in early enough to get what can be very cheap train transfer (i.e. €40 return to St Anton)

Most resorts who like their Sat - Sat will release accomodation during the week if you're happy to wait to book, if you use their search engines you should get a good few offers come Sun morning

Also Geneva very close to a few resorts with cheap transfers as a result (Morzine / Avoriaz, Chamonix)

Advertisement