Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are UPC the most useless company in Ireland?

• 25-08-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

3 months of this:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1450118373.png

And the woman I spoke to on the UPC helpdesk says "What do you want me to do? Do you want to cancel your account?" 20 seconds into a call.

Engineers have identified a fault in the area but have been told not to fix it because the area will be upgraded to a new network 'in the next few weeks' (as I have been told for months now).

I remember when I was an Eircom customer and I thought that they were bad, but UPC are the kings of poor service.

I've also had issues with Ryanair that would make any rational person want to go postal, but UPC are now my nemesis purely because of the sheer amount of lies from them and their unwillingness to fix an issue that they even admit exists. In 3 years, there's over 300 contacts with the helpdesk.

So AH...which company do you hate most for poor service/support, and why?

****NOTE so a mod doesn't have to add one****
    DO NOT post anything libellous.
    Don't mention the names of individuals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No, because my broadband is perfect. UPC are really helpful whenever we have a problem which is unbelievably rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Ahh ya but sure something no one understands is that no matter who the hell you change to your still going to have the same crap system everything is Eircom. when you change that telephone line is still Eircom Upc have not came over night and put a new one there.

What ever you were getting with Eircom your likely to get with some other money maker. the only thing you have changed is your company and maybe your price.
    your Broadband speeds aint going anywhere but down. Cause that geezer next door or up the road is deciding to download 50 videos hogging up the line speed.
    Personally you were best off with 1950's Eircom
    But understand the upc offer better deals, Unless you live in a Fiber powered BB area dont bother changing. unless you get a cheaper deal for the same speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

always found upc to give excellent service to be honest

if there is no other alternative service that you can get you could try asking for a reduction in fees until your area is upgraded to accommodate the speeds you would expect.

It doesn't help your broadband issues but at least your not paying top dollar for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Chorus was terrible for customer service back when I was with them. When UPC took over it got much much better, even if they still had a few snarky people to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Ahh ya but sure something no one understands is that no matter who the hell you change to your still going to have the same crap system everything is Eircom. when you change that telephone line is still Eircom Upc have not came over night and put a new one there.

What ever you were getting with Eircom your likely to get with some other money maker. the only thing you have changed is your company and maybe your price.
    your Broadband speeds aint going anywhere but down. Cause that geezer next door or up the road is deciding to download 50 videos hogging up the line speed.
    Personally you were best off with 1950's Eircom
    But understand the upc offer better deals, Unless you live in a Fiber powered BB area dont bother changing. unless you get a cheaper deal for the same speeds.

UPC do not use Eircom lines,they use their own cable,which in many places have been there for years.
    No problem with UPC myself,always found them very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

UPC are great.

We have 50mb broadband,phone and tv with them and have never had a problem,beats paying Eircom 25quid a month just for line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

No, I think Eircom are - they've peddled the same crap for years, barely bothering with upgrades, and for a hefty price at that...there's no comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

thefishone wrote: »
    UPC do not use Eircom lines,they use their own cable,which in may places have been there for years.
    No problem with UPC myself,always found them very helpful

Well i cant see that happening round our place if i change in the morning. Telephone line is over head. Belongs to Eircom for the past 10 years(New line ran along with makeover of the main road) and if i decide to change im sure it will still be there for the next couple of years. If only UPC would be so generousness to come down take away that old slow congested line and put up fiber power. Only thing is that UPC will have my details. and i will be using their services but eircom will be dealing with that line. so i would still be screwed over getting my 1.5mbps on a 3mb contract. maybe the only thing they can change is the line that runs from our house to the pole on the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

And the woman I spoke to on the UPC helpdesk

just a question, why where you talking to the helpdesk ? why didn't you first ring upc technical support ?. as they would surely sort that problem out for you i'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I got a text on my phone today saying they'd upgraded my broadband from 12mb to 20mb for free so I ain't complaining about them :)

• Advertisement

also you should have presented this problem you have with upc in nets & comms/broadband and maybe a upc representative could have looked into you're case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

3 months of this:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1450118373.png

And the woman I spoke to on the UPC helpdesk says "What do you want me to do? Do you want to cancel your account?" 20 seconds into a call.

Engineers have identified a fault in the area but have been told not to fix it because the area will be upgraded to a new network 'in the next few weeks' (as I have been told for months now).

I remember when I was an Eircom customer and I thought that they were bad, but UPC are the kings of poor service.

I've also had issues with Ryanair that would make any rational person want to go postal, but UPC are now my nemesis purely because of the sheer amount of lies from them and their unwillingness to fix an issue that they even admit exists. In 3 years, there's over 300 contacts with the helpdesk.

So AH...which company do you hate most for poor service/support, and why?

****NOTE so a mod doesn't have to add one****
    DO NOT post anything libellous.
    Don't mention the names of individuals.

They blow big time but are very accommadating when it comes to complaints, my missus rings up all the time complaining and they usually give us free stuff.

Don't bother with the person who answers the phone get their supervisor and give them hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I used UPC when I lived in Dublin. The service was almost always flawless, so rarely had to ring their customer services department. The one time I did was fine.

No complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Well i cant see that happening round our place if i change in the morning. Telephone line is over head. Belongs to Eircom for the past 10 years(New line ran along with makeover of the main road) and if i decide to change im sure it will still be there for the next couple of years. If only UPC would be so generousness to come down take away that old slow congested line and put up fiber power. Only thing is that UPC will have my details. and i will be using their services but eircom will be dealing with that line. so i would still be screwed over getting my 1.5mbps on a 3mb contract. maybe the only thing they can change is the line that runs from our house to the pole on the main road.

UPC NEVER use Eircom lines and they do not replace Eircom lines,they put their own cables in,so if UPC have not put their cable in your area,you cannot get UPC services (mmds is available,but that is again different)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dads Eircom:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1450178606.png
    My UPC:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1450181016.png

Out in parents house atm, did my UPC speedtest over logmein there, UPC are miles superior than Eircom, I had a billing query there the other day and the UPC rep on Twitter helped me out very quickly, and any time I've called support UPC have been fine.
    I think its to do with being lucky or unlucky, I know people who have had huge problems with Eircom and their "support", likewise vodafone etc. But if you have UPC and it works well its one of the best connections you can get in Ireland,

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

UPC dont use Eircoms lines at all. Eircom offer ADSL Broadband, UPC offer Cable Broadband. Two different technologies. UPC only offer a service in high density areas, i.e. Cities and large towns.

UPC offer a fantastic service when it works. Any time I've had to deal with them it's been 50/50 as to whether I get a helpful person on the phone or a rude, useless cnut.

If UPC weren't putting so much time and money into it's own infrastructure then the Broadband infrastructure in general, in this country would be one sorry mess.

it's obvious he is with upc as he said.... And the woman I spoke to on the UPC helpdesk says "What do you want me to do? Do you want to cancel your account?" 20 seconds into a call.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This clearly isn't the correct forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement