Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Resort Recommendation ?

• 13-08-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

It would be great if anyone could suggest a ski resort in Europe for Intermediate / Advanced snowboarders. Im looking for somewhere similar to Saalbach in Austria which was amazing.

I would like to try out somewhere different this year, i like to go somewhere different every year. Im not interested in places like Livingo or Andorra, nothing against these places, i have been to Andorra myself but there more of a cheap ski holiday for beginners.

Heres what i have on my list so far of places im considering for 2009:

1. Les 2 Alpes
    2. Alpe D'Huez
    3. Val D'Isere

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

JC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

have you been to or considered Oberstdorf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Thanks for the reply ShayK1, i had a look at the website for Oberstdorf, to be honest it looks a bit basic, not too many challenging runs and not really a large selection of runs either, myabe im wrong have you been there your self?

What i thought was great about Saalbach was that everyday i was on a different Ski run, there were so many to choose from. I was all over the place snow boarding from Saalbach to Hinterglemm, one side of the valley to the other.

If anyone has been to the resorts i mentions can you give me your opinion which you thought was the best.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I've been in Alp D'Huez and Tignes (but skied into Val D'Isere). It was a few years ago since Alp D'Huez and it was a bad year for snow but I remember the resort was great, fairly busy but not too bad. Load of choice of slopes, lots of activities to do off the slopes and seemed to be decent night life.

Val D'Isere I wasn't so impressed with, the slope down to the town was a beautiful run through trees but it was pretty heavily worn. But I didn't full explore the area and we never went up to the left (when looking at the piste map) of the town.

Tignes was great, huge area to cover, very short queue times and you're very close to the start of all the runs in the morning. We stayed in Tignes Le Boisses so I don't know what the night life is like.

http://photos.valdisere.com/download/plandespistes.jpg
    http://www.ski-station.net/IMG/jpg/plan-piste-alpe-d-huez.jpg

Overflow wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply ShayK1, i had a look at the website for Oberstdorf, to be honest it looks a bit basic, not too many challenging runs and not really a large selection of runs either, myabe im wrong have you been there your self?

What i thought was great about Saalbach was that everyday i was on a different Ski run, there were so many to choose from. I was all over the place snow boarding from Saalbach to Hinterglemm, one side of the valley to the other.

If anyone has been to the resorts i mentions can you give me your opinion which you thought was the best.

Thanks again.

Yeah I've been there. There's 4 mountains to choose from but I've been stickin' to Fellhorn because it suits beginners and advanced beginners :) What site were you looking at?

The 4 moutains are Fellhorn, Nebelhorn, kanzelwand and Sollereck (not 100% on the spelling). I'll see if I can find full piste maps for you.

here's they are:
    http://www.bergfex.com/kanzelwand/panorama/
    http://www.bergfex.com/nebelhorn-oberstdorf/panorama/
    http://www.bergfex.com/soellereck-hoellwies-oberstdorf/panorama/

Hey thats great thanks for the input and the links, Ciaran500.

The Val D'isere and Tignes ski area looks great. Can you get one ski pass to cover both resorts?

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Yeah I've been there. There's 4 mountains to choose from but I've been stickin' to Fellhorn because it suits beginners and advanced beginners :) What site were you looking at?

The 4 moutains are Fellhorn, Nebelhorn, kanzelwand and Sollereck (not 100% on the spelling). I'll see if I can find full piste maps for you.

here's they are:
    http://www.bergfex.com/kanzelwand/panorama/
    http://www.bergfex.com/nebelhorn-oberstdorf/panorama/
    http://www.bergfex.com/soellereck-hoellwies-oberstdorf/panorama/

Well i was'nt looking at the site :) Yeah actually it does look pretty good. Are all 4 mountains accessable from each other, i mean can go up one ski down to the next etc etc?

Also is there a town in the resort or do you have to take a bus to it everyday?

Thanks

Well i was'nt looking at the site :) Yeah actually it does look pretty good. Are all 4 mountains accessable from each other, i mean can go up one ski down to the next etc etc?

Thanks

The first time I went we started on one and boarded to the other and I think we started on Kanzelwand and boarded to Fellhorn but I can't be certain on that. If Don1 comes online he'll remember better. I don't think Sollereck or Nebelhorn are accessible from each other but I know of another boards user (I'll get his name in a minute) who ski's there regularly are he sometimes take the bus to Nebelhorn in the morning and then comes back to fellhorn for the afternoon.

Buses run every 30 minutes from the town to the mountains in the morning and return every hour up to lunch time, in the afternoon its reversed. Buses run from the town every hour and return every half hour. They're free once to half you're gear with you.
    I think the first bus is at 8:35 to the mountains and the last bus leaves the at 5:35.

The users name is "am i bovvered"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The Nebelhorn is at the top of the town, I have stayed within walking distance of it every time I have been in oberstdorf.
    The sollereck is a 10min bus ride and the Fellhorn is a further 10 mins.
    The fellhorn is the biggest area ( you can ski into Austria on one run ).
    I have ski'd the nebelhorn and the fellhorn on the same day with the one ski pass.
    The nebelhorn
    ski 2008 005.JPG
    The fellhorn
    ski 2008 070.JPG

I have never ski'd any other area so cannot give you a comparison.

Hi ShayK1, are ye going back this year :)

The Nebelhorn is at the top of the town, I have stayed within walking distance of it every time I have been in oberstdorf.
    The sollereck is a 10min bus ride and the Fellhorn is a further 10 mins.
    The fellhorn is the biggest area ( you can ski into Austria on one run ).
    I have ski'd the nebelhorn and the fellhorn on the same day with the one ski pass.
    The nebelhorn
    ski 2008 005.JPG
    The fellhorn
    ski 2008 070.JPG

I have never ski'd any other area so cannot give you a comparison.

Sweet, its looks great, nicely groomed slopes and it looks very quite, what time of the year do you normally go? When is the best time for snow?

But i really love to just wake up stick on my gear and walk outside to a ski lift, but it sounds like they have the transport pretty organized there, well what do you expect they are Germans :)

I wish i could say the same for Saalbach, the transport there is not very reliable but the good thing about the place is you can litrally ski everywhere in the resort, everything is interconnected, we spent the whole week there boarding from one side of the vallet to the other and then at the end of the day we boarded right from the top of a slope down into the town and out apartment.

We only had to get the bus there once because we boarding into Hinterglemm late in the afternoon and got stuck there because the lifts closed.

If you want to try something different and with a huge variety you should try Saalbach next year, you will be blown away, i will go back there again myself but ive never been boarding in France and would love to try a resort there.

Ill defo put Oberstdorf on my list of places to go.

And there he is :)

Hey, yeah I'm going for New Years this time. Again bringing some beginners. My sister and her boyfriend want to have a go.

• Advertisement

Sweet, its looks great, nicely groomed slopes and it looks very quite, what time of the year do you normally go? When is the best time for snow?

the last 2 times I have been were in mid february. Early Feb is the National Ski week and its MENTAL busy so try avoid that. I arrived on the saturday when all the germans were going home this year but the rest of my party were there the thursday before that and said the queues were massive
    If you want to try something different and with a huge variety you should try Saalbach next year, you will be blown away, i will go back there again myself but ive never been boarding in France and would love to try a resort there.

You've made Saalbach sound pretty damn good :) maybe you could give some info?
    Where to fly to, who to fly with, etc etc etc.

I'm off to find my post with all my links for you

The thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55086533&highlight=oberstdorf#post55086533
    Post 8 of the above thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55086533&postcount=8

However, Ryanair change the dates and times of the flights I had booked for New Years Eve 08/09 so I've cancelled those flights and I'm flying Aerlingus to Munich and getting a train direct to Oberstdorf. I think it works out slightly cheaper too because the bus company that do the Friedrichschafen to Oberstdorf run have upped their prices

You've made Saalbach sound pretty damn good maybe you could give some info?
    Where to fly to, who to fly with, etc etc etc.

Yeah i can give you all the info i got, i just recently price it up for some mates of mine.

Best time to go is Feb/March to get the best snow, it can get very busy but they have excellent lifts and i never queued very long.

Main Resort Website:
    http://www.saalbach.com

Flights:
    Ryanair - Dublin to Salzburg
    I priced for the first week of March 09 and it was €265

Bus Transfer:
    Salzurg to Saalbach/Hinterglemm - €65 Return Ticket
    1hr 30mins Travel time depending on traffic.
    http://engl.salzburg-airport.com/bus_2560.html

Ski Hire:
    Board + Boots - €110 - €140 approx
    Skis + Boots - €90 -€100
    http://www.skirentals.at/hansis/preise.html
    This is just one rental shop, there are tons of them there, we just went into the first one we found and rented.

Ski Passes
    6 Day Pass cover all areas - €195,50
    Make sure you try as many slopes as possible, you wont regret it. You will feel like you have done so much at the end of the week.

Piste Map:
    http://www.saalbach.com/fileadmin/images/BilderInternet/Winterpanorama0809_72.jpg
    Check out the "2b" run, its about 7km long, its amazing.

bookmarked for next year. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Saalbach:
    The Schattberg piste (I think it's Piste 1) is my favourite - black but very interesting. I don't remember ever taking the black top part as it's usually very cloudy up top. Instead I very gingerly come down the red bit generally when there's 0 visibility. There's also a few lovely pistes right at the end past Hinterglemm (Hochalm or something like that) - steep red/easy black type stuff up top. Basically take the bus to the end. The sun is on them in the mornings too.

Google "holiday shuttle saalbach" for transfers from Salzburg. Aer Lingus used to fly in to SBG as well.

Other:
    With regard to other locations. I can only help with Austria but Ischgl and St. Anton are the places that are similar to Saalbach (a bit more expensive). Obertauern is also good and always has snow (seems to have a weird microclimate). Runs aren't as long as in Saalbach but are still ok.

If you go really early in the season Solden is the place to go. I was never there so so can't comment on it.

I'm perfectly happy to go back to Saalbach every year :)

Imposter wrote: »
    Saalbach:
    The Schattberg piste (I think it's Piste 1) is my favourite - black but very interesting. I don't remember ever taking the black top part as it's usually very cloudy up top. Instead I very gingerly come down the red bit generally when there's 0 visibility. There's also a few lovely pistes right at the end past Hinterglemm (Hochalm or something like that) - steep red/easy black type stuff up top. Basically take the bus to the end. The sun is on them in the mornings too.

I would have to agree that the Schattberg is a great piste and quite steep! Our apartment was right next to the Schattberg Express which was great!

Other:
    With regard to other locations. I can only help with Austria but Ischgl and St. Anton are the places that are similar to Saalbach (a bit more expensive). Obertauern is also good and always has snow (seems to have a weird microclimate). Runs aren't as long as in Saalbach but are still ok.

If you go really early in the season Solden is the place to go. I was never there so so can't comment on it.

I'm perfectly happy to go back to Saalbach every year :)

I just checked out Solden, it looks fantastic but the snow seems to be unreliable, i checked the historic snowfall for that resort for Jan - March this year and the lower slopes had between 3cm-13cm ! But up top it seemed to be ok. I guess January is the best time to go there then ?

I have also just checked out Val Thorens in Les 3 Valees, its the highest resort in Europe with gauranteed snow aparently :) I looks fantastic, does anyone have any experience with Les 3 Valees or Val Thorens in particular?

Thanks

I just checked out Solden, it looks fantastic but the snow seems to be unreliable, i checked the historic snowfall for that resort for Jan - March this year and the lower slopes had between 3cm-13cm ! But up top it seemed to be ok. I guess January is the best time to go there then ?
    Sorry - when I say early in the year I mean very early. Solden hosts one of the first (if not the first) race of the year - Nov/Dec timeframe. So it's glacier skiing.

Later in the year people tend not to go to glaciers as it's very cold in the 'main season' and it's far more comfortable skiing at lower altitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Hey thats great thanks for the input and the links, Ciaran500.

The Val D'isere and Tignes ski area looks great. Can you get one ski pass to cover both resorts?
    Yep, you can only get a pass for the whole area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

I'd have to give Saalbach the nod too. Great variety of runs from the village and 1½ - 2 hr transfer from Salzburg. The holiday shuttle works great and is reasonable when spread over 4 or 5 people thankfully Aer Lingus flies there too as Imposter posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hey OP, if you need a little more help deciding, check the reviews on http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/

Hey OP, if you need a little more help deciding, check the reviews on http://www.worldsnowboardguide.com/

Hey thanks for the link, theres some great info on there, i just found St Anton in Austria, looks damn good also Meribel in Les 3 Aples in France also looks top notch.

So my revised list looks like this:

1. St Anton - Austria
    2. Les 3 Alpes (Meribel or Van Thoren)
    3. Val D'Isere & Tignes
    4. Oberstdorf

Anyone been to the the top 2 in my list ? Best times for snow etc?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hehe you got to love some of the translations on these Austrian websites, i was looking for an apartment to rent and found this one:

http://web.utanet.at/landhaus-agnes/Landhaus_Agnes/Landhaus_Agnes/landhaus_agnes.htm
    The apartment are for 2-6 person ( most of the apartment are new furnished ) with shower/toilet, kitchen or kitchenette TV and almost with balcony.

hmmm "almost with balcony" sounds hazardous :)

Look up Ischgl as well as St. Anton - they are very similar resorts in terms of skiing, nightlife etc... Neither will be all that cheap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hey thanks for the link, theres some great info on there, i just found St Anton in Austria, looks damn good also Meribel in Les 3 Aples in France also looks top notch.

So my revised list looks like this:

1. St Anton - Austria
    2. Les 3 Alpes (Meribel or Van Thoren)
    3. Val D'Isere & Tignes
    4. Oberstdorf

Anyone been to the the top 2 in my list ? Best times for snow etc?

Thanks

I was in Les 2 Alpes in January. I've had better holidays truth be told, but a nice resort all the same.

I reviewed it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

From reading all the posts I think I'm going to go with Saalbach.

Can anyone recommend accommodation in Saalbach?
    Preferably self-catering apartments.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

Anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Imposter wrote: »

Other:
    With regard to other locations. I can only help with Austria but Ischgl and St. Anton are the places that are similar to Saalbach (a bit more expensive).

I can wholeheartedly recommend Ischgl. A group of about 16 of us went last year and we all agreed that it was one of the best resorts we've ever skied in.
    Great range of runs from beginners to more advanced. Great Apres Ski - plenty to choose from. The runs over to Switzerland are great too.

We're heading to St Anton & Saalbach in 2009. Saalbach is a re-visit, the lads liked it so much the first time we're heading back. Which never happens! So it must be good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

I think Imposter suggested a SC apartment in Saalbach (can't find it) you could try http://www.saalbach.com/ The tourist office is very helpful answering email enquires.

Most apartments are much the same in Austria - do your homework regarding location, cost and what others have to say about it (isn't the internet wonderful) and then book it. Places where people stayed a few years ago may have changed beyond recognition since - who knows! . Most places that are really good are long booked out.

Advertisement