Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time skiing

• 25-07-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Want to go on a skiing holiday in Feb and was wondering if anyone has any advise on what websites to look at or what resorts are the best. Would be our first time skiing and would be on a budget so any advise on the cheaper resorts would be great...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think one of the Grand Valiara areas in Andorra are excellent for first timers. Very good ski school, plenty of great big wide open pistes that give you plenty of chance to progress during the week onto somthing more challenging. Pas de la Casa would be the most lively at night with Soldeu/ El Tarter a little bit quieter. Andorra is probably not quite as cheap as it used to be compared with some other places though but they are still good prices.

Edit: Just spotted that you said Febuary, other than Christmas/ New Year week that is going to be about the most expensive time to go anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yeah I agree with Ropinph, Andorra is a great place to learn to Ski/Board.

I've been to Soldeu about 4 or 5 times now with different groups, its got something for everyone from Begineer to Advanced, they have a great SnowPark aswell.

You could also look at livigno which would be another cheap option, the best time for you to fly is the last week in January, you get low season prices with a very good chance of alot of Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you speak any kind of French, then Val Cenis is great. It's got the longest green run in Europe, which zigzags across the mountain so even the most nervous or tired beginner can ski back safely. Also got steeper runs!

Half the price of the big resorts in the next valley like Val Thorens. I like staying in the Centre International de Sejour or the Auberge de Jeunesse, both provide full board and accommdation and are very friendly. No single supplements for odd numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I would have to say Andorra aswell for beginners, i went there my first two times Snow Boarding, had a great time, got 1 Day of lessons and picked the rest up on my own, nice big wide easy slopes, great for practicing.

I stayed in Arinsal, which is a nice little town, there was a great nightlife, Quo Vadis Pub was particularly good, lots of friendly people. Oh and there was a tacky Irish Bar run by some Brits, was a good laugh though.

Not sure about the snow, both times i was there early Jan, the first time the snow was ok, but it had not snowed in a few weeks. The second time we went the snow was terrible, very little on the slopes, rocks all over the place and it didnt snow at all.
    So maybe it wasnt the best time for snow so you should check that out.

Direct Ski used to run fairly reasonably cheap packages to Andorra, www.directski.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

soldeu in andorra would be my first choice....hotel brussels is great if your on a budget...i have always gone with crystal because transfer time from toulouse is less then from barcalona (which direct ski, panorama, topflight etc use)

can't recomend the ski school enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Livigno, Italy is a good spot for beginners too. Its a tax free area so everything is dirt cheap. The only problem is that its 5 hrs from the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rainbowbrite87

Andorra is absolutely beautiful but very expensive and not much else to do..
    Fair enough it is supposed to be a boarding/skiing holiday but a small bit of other entertainment might not go astray.... Also it is a four and a half hour bus journey to Andorra which is an absolute killer.. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Andorra is absolutely beautiful but very expensive and not much else to do..
    Fair enough it is supposed to be a boarding/skiing holiday but a small bit of other entertainment might not go astray.... Also it is a four and a half hour bus journey to Andorra which is an absolute killer.. :mad:

Nah 2 hrs in the car Toulouse to Soldeu its a hassle free trip.

If they are beginners then after a few apres pints they will only be fit for bed. They will be wrecked after being up early and learning all day. As long as there are a few bars in resort then thats all you need. Soldeu is great as it has some good bars and restaurants. Hotel Brussels €10 menu is a winner!! Well that was 2 years ago but it cant have gone up too much.

Arinsal is also good but is a bit further down the road so a bit further to drive but it does have the Quo Vadis and El Cau - ahh the memories!!

Advertisement