Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012/13 Ski Holiday

Options
  • 11-05-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Researching ski holiday prices for xmas 2012 or early 2013. Date doesn't really matter as we are students :p

I am basically looking for the cheapest week long skiing holiday, including all equipment rental, accom, flights etc. Don't think we will need instructors, I skied before in Austria (Zugspitze).

I am having a hard time researching one because I have never really done this before and the last holiday was through Topflight.

Any feedback would be great, any deals or tips etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

If you want cheap step 1 is do not use topflight!

After that in order of quality

Austria
    Andorra
    Bulgaria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ski mad

Soldeu in Andorra, for value for money and quality it's hard to beat. Would advise u to keep taking lessons though, makes the holiday more enjoyable and forces u to get up in the morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP as you are students then consider the Ski & Boarderweek in Val Thorens which is in the 3 Valleys in France. It is primarily students who go as the dates are usually around the 15th December or so. Val Thorens is a very high resort so you should have no problems with snow cover at that time. Other resorts lower down (1,500m) in the 3 Valleys might but Val Thorens will be well covered at that stage.

There is loads of DJ's and events at night time. The site is here- you'll need to put it through Google translate. http://www.ski-boarderweek.de/
    There is no prices up there yet but I know about 5 years ago they were doing a weeks ski pass and shared accomodation for around €270pp which is dirt cheap as normally a pass alone would be about €230. On top of that you'll need to get your own flights and transfers. Keep an eye on that site and towards August /Sept there should be prices and packages for the 2012 Boarderweek up.

You won't find any cheaper skiing beyond those dates- Christmas week is very expensive and thereafter the prices stay high until the tail end of the season about late March / early April.

If France isn't for you then I could also recommend the Alpen Rider lodge in Kitzbuhel, Austria. You can fly to Salzburg with Ryanair and they'll pick you up. It is an Aussie owned and run hostel very close to the slopes. The owner Paul Shevlin (Shevvy) is sound and looks after groups of students well and they've some great packages. http://www.alpenrider.com/

Finally you could also consider Jasna in Slovakia, another bargain deal for students. Paul Wilson runs Propaganda there and is extremely hospitable and well used to hosting groups of students. Eating and drinking out in Slovakia is at rock bottom prices, cheaper than Austria or France by a bit http://www.propagandasnowboards.com/

Hope this helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Fattes wrote: »

Austria
    Andorra
    Bulgaria

You forgot Livigno

Very cheap and decent skiing (not for advanced skiers but certainly for everyone else enough to entertain them for a week). Duty free zone so drink etc is cheap

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fattes

Austria
    Andorra
    Bulgaria
    You forgot Livigno

Very cheap and decent skiing (not for advanced skiers but certainly for everyone else enough to entertain them for a week). Duty free zone so drink etc is cheap

Nope didn't forget it, the 4-6 hour transfer depending on traffic is a big no no on my part although I do like Livingo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Student again here jumping in on a thread!!

So how does Chopok compare to say San Anton in Austria?
    I've seen online that there is 34km of piste. Is that a bit small for 7 days?

Very interested in going there, but i dont know if i can persuade the guys to come...

Any other recommendations? Can onlygo Dec 29th tothe 6th Jan!!
    Thank you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Dr Nic wrote: »
    I've seen online that there is 34km of piste. Is that a bit small for 7 days?

That would be a bit small for seven hours :). Its probably linked to other areas though with more K's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joe J

Some mentioned Andorra. Definitely look in to this. Good value,

Sno Bombing and Mayrhofen - Perfect trip for students late in the year.

Try Tignes too in France

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭snow mad

Andora for the week starting the 6th of Jan seems to be the cheapest week i can find in a package loads of apartments if there is a few in your group good snow at that time tax free drink and lots of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Re: Livigno, I think some tour operators are flying somewhere other than bergamo now so it's not such a nightmare of a journey. Great spot for nightlife and beginner to intermediate level ski/boarders. Not sure which operators but might be worth checking out

Advertisement