Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Budget" skiing as part of round the world trip?

• 04-06-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'm organising a RTW trip at the moment and really, really want to go skiing for month or so as part of it. The way the trip is shaping up, we'll be looking to do the skiing end of things around January/February 2009.

I know this might be a bit of a pipe dream but do you reckon it's possible to find anywhere in the world where we can ski and live relatively cheaply? I suppose I'm essentially looking for western hostel prices.

I think organising to work anywhere is going to be too messy to sort out especially since we won't be around for the start of the season. I have my heart set on Whistler but it's not looking good for $$$ there!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you're going all the way round then why not go skiing in the summer in the southern hemisphere instead. Anywhere else is likely to be cheaper than most places in North America or the Alps so might fit the "budget" tag a bit closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Unfortunately, we're starting in India in a month or so. From there we're going Nepal-Thailand-New Zealand, leaving us in New Zealand around December which is their summer so I don't think we'll be able to ski in the southern hemisphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Robinph is right ,if you find the US/Canada is too expensive then the southern hemisphere is a good bet. The prob is if you are doing a month alot of resorts dont have discount passes for that- they only do it by the week or by the season. Paying for 4/5x weekly passes could end up costing you more than a full season pass. I did a season in NZ a few years back in Queenstown. Look up www.nzski.com -they do early bird season passes for around NZ$600 in Feburary/March each year and for that you can ski 3 different mountains, the Remarks and Coronet in Queenstown and Mt.Hutt in Canterbury which is about 120 miles away.
    You could stay in hostels in Q'town for the month you are there as getting a room or apartment during the ski season having not been there from the start is out of the question.

Another option is to hire a campervan ( be ready for some chilly nights! ) and drive around NZ's clubfields, there are loads of them dotted around the south island. Most are dirt cheap like NZ$20-30 for a day pass but the downside is alot only have drag lifts. Just depends on your point of view but for me drag lifts take the fun out of the day.

Yet another thought is Argentina. Bariloche and Los Lenas are both good resorts tho' Im not sure how cheap/expensive they are.

Australia also has skiing in Victoria though Ive heard it is way more expensive than NZ.

Finally if you wanted something really different stop off in Iran in the winter. Only 20 miles from the capital Tehran are 2 different resorts and they offer the cheapest skiing to be found anywhere on the planet, 8 euros for a day pass. The Abhorz mountains they are based on are over 17,000ft high so its guaranteed snow at that height.Only thing is there's no beer for the apres-ski:mad:

Sorry just saw your above reply now. In that case its a pity you are going to India now as Kashmir has some in the Himalayas has some of the finest pow pow anywhere on the planet. Check out Ski Sundays trip there: http://youtube.com/watch?v=VJorg-HzUd8

So it looks like nothern hemisphere. Id say maybe consider buying one of these www.epicpass.com. Theres a hostel to stay in at Lake Tahoe so you could ski there for the month ( or season if you wanted ) and cook all your own food in the hostel, bring lunch up the mountain, etc.

Ah I see you found me in here too! Thanks for the info.

We wanted to be in NZ during the summer as we'll be vanning it and some friends who were there last year said they would have preferred to be there during the summer.

I'll have a look into the epic pass. Could be an option since the dollar is so weak at the moment.

EDIT: the Argentina thing looks interesting as well so hope's not lost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not sure if Europe is an option, but im staying in the Stubai valley in Austria at the moment, been here for over 2 months now, almost solid snowboarding and living fairly cheaply. Rent between 2 of us is 150 per week for the room with en suite and we share the kitchen with landlady then. Shopping and drinking is cheap as well. The lift pass is around 350 for a month i think, though for 450euro's you get a pass for 12 months which is great considering its only closed up here for 3months of the year..

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Not sure if Europe is an option, but im staying in the Stubai valley in Austria at the moment, been here for over 2 months now, almost solid snowboarding and living fairly cheaply. Rent between 2 of us is 150 per week for the room with en suite and we share the kitchen with landlady then. Shopping and drinking is cheap as well. The lift pass is around 350 for a month i think, though for 450euro's you get a pass for 12 months which is great considering its only closed up here for 3months of the year..

How can you be skiing in Austria at this time of year?! Anyway, sounds class. Was it much hassle to organise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How can you be skiing in Austria at this time of year?! Anyway, sounds class. Was it much hassle to organise?

The glacier here has skiing up to 3000meters above sea level. The resort stays open for another month, though it has started winding down now with a lot of slopes closed as they do maintenance checks on them.

No hassle at all to organise. Just email the tourist info here with the type of accomodation you want and what your willing to pay, and they contact all the guesthouses etc on your behalf. After that it was just a matter of flying to munich and getting a 2 hour train to Innsbruck! The ski pass is great value as well, 450euro's for 12 months! About a month ago it was absolutely perfect, loads of snow, loads of offpiste and loads of sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

I'm organising a RTW trip at the moment and really, really want to go skiing for month or so as part of it. The way the trip is shaping up, we'll be looking to do the skiing end of things around January/February 2009.

I know this might be a bit of a pipe dream but do you reckon it's possible to find anywhere in the world where we can ski and live relatively cheaply? I suppose I'm essentially looking for western hostel prices.

I think organising to work anywhere is going to be too messy to sort out especially since we won't be around for the start of the season. I have my heart set on Whistler but it's not looking good for $$$ there!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

whistler is doable if your willing to work, sometimes based on luck with cheap acccom, mountain staff get accomodation, if u go in feb its when ppl start leaving (ozzies going back to uni) you are more likely to get into cheap accom. you will need a canadian work visa obviously, dont stay in the HI there, its nice but its a $20 cab ride to town, the arts hostel is supposed to be affordable

most of what u need to know is on www.whistlerblackcomb.com

feel free to ask me anything, im still in whistler

Right so. The whole skiing in Whistler thing collapsed many moons ago under the weight of the costs but new opportunties are opening up for us a tthe moment! Basically, Fiji is off the cards due to flooding so we're going to lop a week off the trip and try to blow that cash on some skiing in BC. Still obviously looking to do it on the cheap.

I've had a quick look and it seems like all packages have to be booked either through whistlerblackcomb.com or whistler.com. Is this the case or am I missing something? Do you actually ever get a decent deal on a package as opposed to booking your own accomodation and then buying your ski pass when you get there?

Also, seen as Whistler seems to be billed as a fairly expensive place, can anyone recommend any other decent places in BC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Met someone in Australia who worked in a beautiful hostel in Whistler... or just outside.

http://www.hihostels.ca/pm/340/hi-whistler_rates___facilities.hostel

That's it there. $32 a night is pretty pricey but I guess it is near a ski resort.

Fernie is supposed to be really nice too. http://www.hihostels.ca/PM/318/hi-fernie_rates___facilities.hostel

Skiing is always expensive... and accommodation is usually the cheapest part, I find.

Best of luck! I'm so envious... stupid exams

• Advertisement
Advertisement