Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Boots - Any pointers?

• 22-09-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im looking into getting a pair of Ski Boots and was wondering if anyone knew a decent place in/around dublin that had some variety? I wouldnt mind paying a bit of cash for them if it meant i could have some extra comfort!

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.....

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

I dont know of anywhere in dublin that sell them but my suggestion is to buy them at the resort which you are going to( i assume you are going to 1)

You can actually try them on the slopes before you buy them. Plus you can also get custom molds done in shops so that they fit you perfectly. This is what i would do if i was looking to buy a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Great Outdoors in Chatham Street sell boots. Not cheap, but you can spend a lot of time trying them on. They also do custom molded insoles and even molded inner boots.

You'd probably get a better deal in the resort, but there is a bit of pressure to buy the boots and get out skiing.

Any ski shop should blow your boots for you if you find there is a tight or sore spot. My feet are not exactly the same size, so this is a Godsend for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

I hear that Salomon are actually starting to heat mold the outer shells as well these days

There's some handy boot info here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199072
    and here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055197261

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

thanks for the replies guys - ill do some more digging!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Great Outdoors do boots and I've heard good reports of their service, personally I'd buy in resort though. The boots are the most important bit of kit that you'll get regarding your skiing though so do not rush the purchase and be prepared to spend a good amount of time in the shop checking the fit and making sure that they are totally right. Getting them in resort gives you the chance of actually using them on the slopes and then heading back to the shop to get any issues fixed straight away. When I got mine fitted they also made an issue about only fitting them first thing in the morning, before I'd been on the slopes at all, as the shape of your foot will change during the day after you've actually been skiing on it so they needed to fit it before your foot had expanded at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I can only agree with most of the above - get them in resort. Bigger choice, cheaper and the chance to try them out.

I love my ski boots - well worth the money. They are comfy which enables me to extend my apres experience without having to go and change out of them!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

flikflak wrote: »
    They are comfy which enables me to extend my apres experience without having to go and change out of them!!!

...and once you've done enough apres, the falling over because you cannot walk in your boots on the way back to your hotel doesn't hurt as much. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A mate bought his in Intersport in Ischgl last year. They guy in the shop was excellent - he honestly seemed concerned about getting him the best boot. He also mentioned that molding to your foot is only needed in a very small percentage of cases. You should be able to find an off the shelf boot unless you're quite unfortunate. He ended up selling him the cheapest pair in the shop, as they were the most suitable. My mate said they were like slippers!
    I was chatting to him too and he recommended a particular rental pair to try out - and I could come back and buy a new set if I was happy. Never got around to it in the end, but will do it this year. I like this 'try before you buy' thing with ski boots!

Edited to say:

He could also take them back for a full refund or exchange (after using them) if they didn't fit properly. As they were fitted by their guy - they took responsiblity for the choice.

Advertisement