Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body Armour!!

• 20-08-2008 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Just wondering if anyone has used / uses body protection when skiing/boarding. Had a couple of nasty near misses last time and some very sore bruising in very inconvenient places!
    Is there anywhere in Ireland that supplies a lightweight version or is it only available online?
    :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just been wearing a helmet myself for the last few years after deciding that I was starting to get a bit daft on the ski's sometimes. But it has the dual use of keeping my brains in and also having a camera mounted on top.

Padded shorts might be handy for boarding but not really of any use for skiing, I have come across a couple of begginer boarders with knee pads on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Back protectors became a big thing in the shops over here last year.

I know a boarder who used to wear her motorbike back protector on the slopes. A lot of the kids especially the ones who race wear them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hey, i would strongly advise it, have you been boarding/skiing before? I would definitely go for a helmet, if you hit some pack ice, slip and whack your noggin you will be sorry you didnt wear one, i just started to wear one last year and im glad i did because i went off piste on my board and hit a bolder hidden under the snow, flipped and landed right on my head, luck i had the helmet on, but i did **** up my neck, im still suffering slightly from it.

Ive also seen gloves with wrist supports in them switch could be handy and i see alot of the kids in the snow parks wear back/coccyx armour. I dont think you need it unless you are doing some extreme skiing/boarding or hitting the snow park.

But definitely go for the helmet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

I have never used it, but there are several times I wish I had. Most notably the first time I snowboarded.

I have done a lot of skateboarding, so felt at home on the snowboard and quickly picked it up. On my third run I was trying to slow down and was going down the hill sideways when I tilted forward just enough for the edge of my board to catch a small snow pile. I came to a screeching halt using my face as a brake pad and ending up getting a pretty bad nosebleed, but luckily didn't break anything.

I would say that at least in the beginning, it is a very good idea to wear protection and really a strong case could be made for always wearing it.

charlesD wrote: »
    I have never used it, but there are several times I wish I had. Most notably the first time I snowboarded.

I have done a lot of skateboarding, so felt at home on the snowboard and quickly picked it up. On my third run I was trying to slow down and was going down the hill sideways when I tilted forward just enough for the edge of my board to catch a small snow pile. I came to a screeching halt using my face as a brake pad and ending up getting a pretty bad nosebleed, but luckily didn't break anything.

I would say that at least in the beginning, it is a very good idea to wear protection and really a strong case could be made for always wearing it.

I would say wear at least wear a helmet at all times, you really don't want to take the chance of screwing up your one good brain. I mean its not much hassle to wear a helmet and have that extra assurance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No reason for not wearing a helmet these days and I've noticed far more people wearing them each year for the last few.

If your skiing though there's not really anything else of much use, possibly a back protector if your doing really crazy stuff, but then your probably going to die from whatever it is your doing anyway. Skiers will generally fall over sideways though and land in a random heap so there's not really anyway of guessing what the best part to protect would be.

For boarders though your generally only ever going to be landing on your face or or on your arse, and falls are going to be more common when learning boarding than skiing as well. So wrist and backside protection for boarders is far more likely to be of use and have some effect.

A helmet is of use to everyone though as your noggin will hit the ground whatever way you choose to slide down the mountain. It will not save your life if your hit a tree, but it will save you from knocks from hitting the ice and other peoples boards/ skis/ poles.

It will also keep your ears warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mwarrior

Cheers for the advice guys!
    Have been both skiing and boarding previously. Last time I was boarding I fell nastily and chipped my coccyx - pretty painful for a few months and nothing you can do about it! :mad:
    Next holiday is skiing and just a bit wary of falling on my ass again and ending up in the same situation. I know there's less chance of it while skiing but because of the damage I did before, its quite easy to do it again:(
    I was thinking of investing in a pair of shorts which might provide some peace of mind!

Hey mwarrior, maybe this is what your looking for, specifically designed to protect your coccyx. Kind of looks like some sort of extreme nappy, but im sure it does the job.

Product%20-%20Body%20Armour_clip_image003_0000.gif

I think you can buy them here:

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/azzpad-tailbone-protection.html

Just google for Tailbone protector or coccyx protector.

ShayK1 wrote: »

Yeah those pants look pretty sweet, i think ill be investing in a pair of them myself and the back armour, i plan on hitting the snowpark quite a bit next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'm going to be tryin a few jumps this year so that's why I'm getting them. That websites shop is near blanchardstown and I've dealt with they guy before and he's really sound. I was going to order them online but I want to try them on first so I'm waiting till I get a chance to go up myself. I also want to get my board serviced so, I'll bring that too.

I'll be getting a helmet this year - was thinking about it last year and tried on a fair few but never found one that fitted well that I liked. Almost bought a Giro somethingorother last year as they seemed to be the best fitting for me. Any recommendations would be welcomed!!

Imposter wrote: »
    I'll be getting a helmet this year - was thinking about it last year and tried on a fair few but never found one that fitted well that I liked. Almost bought a Giro somethingorother last year as they seemed to be the best fitting for me. Any recommendations would be welcomed!!

I had the same problem finding one that fit my head. I eventually found one, it was like this one below but blue, same brand aswell, it fit my head perfect and didnt look that bad either.

boeri-yellow-helmet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

robinph wrote: »
    Just been wearing a helmet myself for the last few years after deciding that I was starting to get a bit daft on the ski's sometimes. But it has the dual use of keeping my brains in and also having a camera mounted on top.

What kind of camera do you have for doing that? I've been trying to find something more convenient than holding my handy-cam going down slopes.

Overflow wrote: »
    I had the same problem finding one that fit my head. I eventually found one, it was like this one below but blue, same brand aswell, it fit my head perfect and didnt look that bad either.
    Where'd you find it?

My cunning, yet original ;) , plan would be to find it in a shop, try it on and then once i'm happy buy it online somewhere.

What kind of camera do you have for doing that? I've been trying to find something more convenient than holding my handy-cam going down slopes.

It's an older version of this one from Oregon.

Clicky

Might have to upgrade now actually as mine only takes a 1G SD card and the video quality isn't as good. Here is an example of the video quality that I've got with it though.

Edit: Was being a bit blind in my Googleing earlier and missed this link which is the one that I have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Same problem for me last year, started looking for one but couldnt find one that was good fit/I liked enough to buy, but I'm defo gonna make sure I get one this year. Its first on my list after a few near misses last year, and a full blown face plant into an exposed rock on an off piste trail in Pas:(

Imposter wrote: »
    Where'd you find it?

My cunning, yet original ;) , plan would be to find it in a shop, try it on and then once i'm happy buy it online somewhere.

I actually found it when i went snowboarding here in Norway in Hovden, i was renting a snowboard and the lady in the rental shop said do you want a helmet and we all said no, she then said are "you all stupid" in a nice way, "you only have one good brain", so i tried on about 10 different helmets, all made me look like herman munster, but she gave me one last one that was perfect, the one in the picture i posted, i noted the brand and looked for it online.

The thing is i dont think they produce that model anymore, its kind of hit or miss. I suggest you go to a few Ski shops when you get to whatever resort it is your going to and try on everything till you find one, maybe you will get lucky. The brand of helmet i found was called Boeri, so maybe look out for that brand, it the hard shell of the helmet extended down around the ears, not like most helmets that only have a soft flap over the ears.

Same problem for me last year, started looking for one but couldnt find one that was good fit/I liked enough to buy, but I'm defo gonna make sure I get one this year. Its first on my list after a few near misses last year, and a full blown face plant into an exposed rock on an off piste trail in Pas:(

I hear you, i had a similar accident, my neck is still suffering from it,it cracks all the time now. But you know any kind of freak accident can happen on the slopes, but its better to have some sort of protection, for example i got a Gondola to the top of a slope in Saalbach, the Ski slope ran back down under the line of the Gondola and it was mighty windy. So i boarded back down under the Gondola line and a huge gust of wind blew, i looked up and it lifted a snowboard out of a Gondola passing above, the snowboard flew down and landed like an arrow in the snow just meters from me and just missing another chap by a few feet, the chap just stopped and looked at me and said "jesus i nearly lost my head" which he nearly did, no amount of protection will keep you safe from things like that.

Im just rambling now but, yeah get helmet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Have a helmet (Alpina) which I wear when hitting jumps. Don't bother with it when freeriding on runs I know backwards and in work.
    Should really wear it more often.
    If I had money impact shorts spine guard and maybe rail guards would be on top of my shopping list. Smashed my knees on a botched attempt at a rainbow box earlier in the season so would like to avoid that again.
    A wrist guard for my crappy left wrist might also be an idea as I keep cracking it.
    Hmmm, if only liftie wages were better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Polarbear2020

Overflow wrote: »
    I hear you, i had a similar accident, my neck is still suffering from it,it cracks all the time now. But you know any kind of freak accident can happen on the slopes, but its better to have some sort of protection, for example i got a Gondola to the top of a slope in Saalbach, the Ski slope ran back down under the line of the Gondola and it was mighty windy. So i boarded back down under the Gondola line and a huge gust of wind blew, i looked up and it lifted a snowboard out of a Gondola passing above, the snowboard flew down and landed like an arrow in the snow just meters from me and just missing another chap by a few feet, the chap just stopped and looked at me and said "jesus i nearly lost my head" which he nearly did, no amount of protection will keep you safe from things like that.

Im just rambling now but, yeah get helmet :)

Ahhh the risks we take for good snow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I use gloves with built in wrist protection and a back protector that comes down to cover coccyx as well. Was trying to find a decent helmet last year but as with many above, couldn't find one that fit nicely and didn't make me look like a spa. Will get one this year ideally. Couldn't believe how many people wore helmets where i was living in austria last year, more did then didn't. Never noticed that number before.

Cheers for the cam info overflow, would love to get one, as Necronomicon said, would be much easier to use then holding camcorder or camera phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

have to vote for the Giro G10, comfortable, lightweight, nice vents and warm ear flaps (audio ones available if that is your thing) and you can get it in several sizes - watched my cousin split open his Alpinia helmet trying to complete a heel to toe on sheet ice - certainly the difference between a headache and an airlift.

On the subject of helmet cams, this is me and my camera setup:

2812912235_9906140d9f.jpg

I don't use the dslr whilst actually skiing though, it stays stashed i my back pack and I just hope that I don't land on it. I am now jelous of this guys setup though as he had both Canon 450D and a wide angle digital video camera attached to his helmet for the skydiving with some remote controls for the both of them on the chin of the helmet:

2834295892_ff91e1b722.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

i would definatly recommend a helmet....having spent 7 hours in an italian hospital last year (Trento) for a potentially cracked skull, its a great piece of mind....on my last 2 trips ive had a head injury (concussion in livingo and a massive lump from the trento trip) i will defo be getting one for this year!

it mightnt be massivly necessary if your using the bunny slopes or learning....but i would still prefere the prevention over a cure for an injury

rockman15 wrote: »
    i would definatly recommend a helmet....having spent 7 hours in an italian hospital last year (Trento) for a potentially cracked skull, its a great piece of mind....on my last 2 trips ive had a head injury (concussion in livingo and a massive lump from the trento trip) i will defo be getting one for this year!

it mightnt be massivly necessary if your using the bunny slopes or learning....but i would still prefere the prevention over a cure for an injury

What rockman15 said ^^

Its not worth the risk!

Advertisement