Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac vrs PC for recording new updates wait or go PC?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

Neurojazz wrote: »
    IF you need firewire based audio hardware = MAC

Im not so sure man current macbooks dont use the Ti firewire chipset anymore and now there are lots of people having compatability issues with their macbook and firewire audio interface if you want the TI chipset you have to get the macbook pro. http://thestudiofiles.com/?p=98

You can make music with a mac or a pc just fine one is not specificaly better than the other (assuming similar spec hardware) some people like mac others pc.

I went the pc route because im used to it and already had pc only plugins and the macbook pro was just to damm expensive for me (im getting a custom built audio laptop ( http://www.adkproaudio.com/laptop2.cfm )made cheaper than a stock new macbook pro for gods sake). I would have got the cheaper macbook had i not being concerned by the firewire chipset.

But at the end of the day be it mac or pc computers suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cornbb wrote: »
    I dunno, by that logic you could say Linux is the ultimate platform for running audio apps. But life is too short for that. And I guess the loss of PT, Logic, and everything else would be a problem too...

I'm a Mac fan now but I reckon it's horses for courses. A lot of the arguments that get trotted out by either side are either irrelevant or completely untrue. So much pointless fanboyism.

i agree completely about the fanboyism, but tbh its generally from the mac side of things. see: macs dont crash for a fine example lol

but yeh its whatever youre into really. i despise protools with every fibre of my being. i just think its a horrible, horrible dog to work with, so that means im not missing out on not having it based on my own personal preferences. and having not used logic, im perfectly happy with cubase, but if i ever feel like trying it out ill install osx onto my pc and give it a go. others of course will prefer the software available on mac, and might occasionally dabble with pc stuff via xp installed on their mac

at the end of the day, if you know how you can run anything on anything

progsound wrote: »
    But at the end of the day be it mac or pc computers suck.

bang on

give me my slightly unstable mpc4000 to sequence any day haha

oh to have the time to play with it as much as it wants to be played with :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Helix wrote: »
    having not used logic, im perfectly happy with cubase,

what about audacity? guy out in laptop clinic... aungier street who records school choirs recommend audacity as its free and easy to use??

its jsut a recorder, does nothing special

• Advertisement

no effects or tools for eq or samples or any tweaking?

so would that leave cubase as the best option?

if you want to record multitrack stuff cubase would be your best bet, tho i think theres free daw knocking about that might be worth a look if you wanna try it

might be called reaper i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭progsound

Yea reaper is becomming pretty popular and for the price it cant be beat :D

http://www.reaper.fm/

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Binary is so overrated, I don't think these machines will ever take off!!:D

Another point is that a PC (advertising) 3G ram is probably using a third of that just running it's own fancy shmancy, hi-tech, blow you away gui services (especially if its running vista!!) A MAC will give you its soul in terms of ram! This is part of the reason why macs and PCs of the same spec are miles apart in terms of performace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

lol - again a misguided post... please can Mac users go and really get some real knowledge instead of post modernistic waffle that comes from reading glossies... that lovely mac slick performance comes from the quartz extreme chip onboard (not sure how many models have this tho)

A good PC does need a lot of those services turning off... there are tons of music sites for musicians that show you how to turn all this stuff off that isn't needed - then it flies, and really fly - the OS looks like a dog, but doesn't run like one once you've stripped out the crap.

I used to hear arguments like if you like gaming buy AMD and if you want number crunching buy intel... shows the mindset buying into advertising and people slagging off intel for their high prices (but superior knowledge and dev skills / design / whatever)

The Mac GUI is not a true representation of the power under the hood - you are essentially looking at a buffered screenshot - that looks extremly alluring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

They are both just lumps of plastic and metal that will both do what you want very, very well. Follow your budget and personal preferences. But that's not the answer you want, is it? So now I'm going to tell you the great truth on this that everyone knows but no-one is telling you:

PC's are better. But MAC's have a great pedigree in music. But that has changed as PC's have developed. PC's are IBM & Bill Gates evil. MAC's are warm and cute like the puppy in iRobot. But PC's are very powerful tools that will do all you want for cheaper than a MAC. Vista will destroy you, your RAM, your brain and your children's brains. OS-X will hold your hand, make you tea and give you lollipops.

Now you can o forth and make a truly informed decision.

forget vista :) - winxp runs everything fine and all the software around has drivers for it... why hog a machine up with vista if you only use a machine for music ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

frobisher wrote: »
    They are both just lumps of plastic and metal that will both do what you want very, very well. Follow your budget and personal preferences. But that's not the answer you want, is it? So now I'm going to tell you the great truth on this that everyone knows but no-one is telling you:

PC's are better. But MAC's have a great pedigree in music. But that has changed as PC's have developed. PC's are IBM & Bill Gates evil. MAC's are warm and cute like the puppy in iRobot. But PC's are very powerful tools that will do all you want for cheaper than a MAC. Vista will destroy you, your RAM, your brain and your children's brains. OS-X will hold your hand, make you tea and give you lollipops.

PC's are perhaps better in terms of the huge amount of software. PC's will do what you want for cheaper, that is very true but they will also slap you across the face and cause huge headaches. They are unstable, slow, glitchy as hell, noisy. When you decide on buying a computer for sound recording consider noise as an important factor or else one could end up posting a thread about 'how to silence a rattled noisy PC' in the studio.

'Fanboyism' which was mentioned in an earlier post is a weak argument. As a PC user for over ten years I never looked at MAC, but after all the glitches and highly annoying driver installations (God I am glad I no longer have to install drivers, such a waste of any man's time) I can get down to business. Now maybe the MAC holds your hand a feeds you lollypops but in fairness the MAC is doing what you PC is doing without all the slow down in between. So....
    the fact that MAC are driver free, virus free, stable, intelligent, quite... (the list can go on and on...) then why on earth would you go PC? If music is ones passion surely you want a beast of a machine that can crunch and process huge numbers while at the same time making the experience an extremely fun one. No errors = no headaches. My friend Sean told me for years to ''just get a mac and see for yourself'' and I didn't listen until 2007. I hold my hand up and say I was wrong.

dav nagle wrote: »
    PC's... are unstable, slow, glitchy as hell, noisy. When you decide on buying a computer for sound recording consider noise as an important factor or else one could end up posting a thread about 'how to silence a rattled noisy PC' in the studio.

theyre only like that if you build them like that though. thats like complaining about how shoddy the book cabinet you built is
    the fact that MAC are driver free, virus free, stable, intelligent, quite... (the list can go on and on...) then why on earth would you go PC?

macs have drivers
    macs have viruses
    pcs are stable if you know how to maintain them, macs can be unstable
    intelligent? lol
    pcs are as quiet as you build them

if youre talking about out of the box pcs then fair enough, but anyone who is using an out of the box pc for music, and takes their music remotely seriously, needs to be slapped around the room with a week old salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

PC's are better....

Vista will destroy you, your RAM, your brain and your children's brains. OS-X will hold your hand, make you tea and give you lollipops.

They are unstable, slow, glitchy as hell, noisy....

the fact that MAC are driver free, virus free, stable, intelligent, quite... (the list can go on and on...) then why on earth would you go PC? If music is ones passion surely you want a beast of a machine that can crunch and process huge numbers while at the same time making the experience an extremely fun one. No errors = no headaches. My friend Sean told me for years to ''just get a mac and see for yourself'' and I didn't listen until 2007. I hold my hand up and say I was wrong.

Every Mac vs. PC argument tends to end up like this. People are basing their arguments based on personal experience (or more likely personal preference) and not solid facts and figures. Can't we all just accept that all computers suck? ;)
    Helix wrote: »
    macs have viruses

This is true, but in fairness there's more chance of me catching the ebola virus than there is of my Mac catching any virus...

PC's are perhaps better in terms of the huge amount of software. PC's will do what you want for cheaper, that is very true but they will also slap you across the face and cause huge headaches. They are unstable, slow, glitchy as hell, noisy. When you decide on buying a computer for sound recording consider noise as an important factor or else one could end up posting a thread about 'how to silence a rattled noisy PC' in the studio.

'Fanboyism' which was mentioned in an earlier post is a weak argument. As a PC user for over ten years I never looked at MAC, but after all the glitches and highly annoying driver installations (God I am glad I no longer have to install drivers, such a waste of any man's time) I can get down to business. Now maybe the MAC holds your hand a feeds you lollypops but in fairness the MAC is doing what you PC is doing without all the slow down in between. So....

Much of this post strikes me as nonsensical.

I had a Mac, it sometimes caused me problems but worked perfectly 99% of the time.
    Now I have a PC, it has caused me problems but works perfectly 99% of the time.

Now, back to the brain frying and free lollipops. Do the wise thing and get an Atari ST. Great for Cubase and MIDI. I know of a sweet 8 gig SCSI drive going cheap too :-)

Every Mac vs. PC argument tends to end up like this. People are basing their arguments based on personal experience (or more likely personal preference) and not solid facts and figures. Can't we all just accept that all computers suck? ;)

This is true, but in fairness there's more chance of me catching the ebola virus than there is of my Mac catching any virus...

Mac pro's do not suck :rolleyes:

Can't we all just accept that all computers suck? ;)

:D:D:D:D It's true, PC's suck just because they suck. MAC's suck because they are designed to quietly hoover your house while you sleep. And that is the entire argument in a nutshell.

Much of this post strikes me as nonsensical.

I had a Mac, it sometimes caused me problems but worked perfectly 99% of the time.
    Now I have a PC, it has caused me problems but works perfectly 99% of the time.

Now, back to the brain frying and free lollipops. Do the wise thing and get an Atari ST. Great for Cubase and MIDI. I know of a sweet 8 gig SCSI drive going cheap too :-)

It makes perfect sense:rolleyes::confused:

It makes perfect sense:rolleyes::confused:

Glad we got that all cleared up then. :cool:

• Advertisement

Glad we got that all cleared up then. :cool:

Happy days:D

I have atari RAM and a Cubase dongle still ;), they used to crash also lol, very rarely though :)

One Mac/PC argument point your missing... if it's a music computer it won't have viri on it because you only use LEGAL software - if you plan your build correctly you won't even need a viri checker on there.

My music pc is soooo quiet and soooo free of crap because it's sooo free of internet! ;)

same goes for pcs tho

why would you have your studio hub machine online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

but in fairness there's more chance of me catching the ebola virus than there is of my Mac catching any virus...

Good one !

Everyone kind of goes off the main basics point of the whole debate! budget & needs vrs patience & needs....

PC will be cheaper and do what you want it to do but will have to be extra patient with multiple windows open running two or more programs while the macs cpu will invariably kick in and get goign alot better and more stable in the long run...

hence serious studios and pro's using macs for recording...

BUT BUT just for home recording... ie, acoustic,2guitars,bass,sample drums, and keys within budget to pick up some decent interface which can make the difference!!

Still gonna hold out for the new batch of macs and keep playin with my commodore and atarai while watching saved by the bell and listening to van halen on my walkman.

lol - more misguided mac nonsense.

I can have 30/40 windows open in a PC and have no problems... your info comes from the post modernistic stupidity of people not understanding/ignoring what is actually happening inside your average home computer.

What function does the swap file serve?
    What is a thread?
    Why did AMD threaten to sue Intel over clockless componants within intel chips?
    Who cares?

I'd have a Mac for webdesign / Expose for the win :)
    And a PC in the studio

I sit in both camps and don't really care what machine does what job, at the end of the day they both *can* work.

The young jedi has much to learn....

its not really misguided nonsense its a FACT that it'll just give up and start kicking out at you once you give it a few 'hard' jobs to do..

then will start to rumble away at you... fall off the desk.... try make a runner for the kitchen to stock back up on proccesed thrash thats its been running on for years.... get sick after consuming rubbish it should have never been allowed have... then tell you about a magic button from the lost island that restores all default settings while still mainting the body language of a thai prostitue 'buy me im cheap and easy, ill do lots of thigns at once for years and years and years'

NO IT DOESN'T

You simply weld the computer-come-hovver craft to a square of steel no bigger than 4 cubits and 2.5 gophers wide.

It's doesn't slow down either, it's working so fast that time *appears* to slow young jedi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

:D:D:D:D It's true, PC's suck just because they suck. MAC's suck because they are designed to quietly hoover your house while you sleep. And that is the entire argument in a nutshell.

Sh1t mine must be broken...

• Advertisement

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I can have 30/40 windows open in a PC and have no problems... your info comes from the post modernistic stupidity of people not understanding/ignoring what is actually happening inside your average home computer.

theyre the people macs are made for thought, the less computer savvy people on the planet who just want to plug it in that have a machine that does what they want it to do

others take pleasure in building their own machine, then tweaking the bejaysus out of it so that it outperforms a mac 8 times its price

Advertisement