Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharing Architect's Plans

• 18-01-2021 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've employed an architect who works very closely with a specific construction company. I'm having some doubts over the construction company so I'm wondering if I can share this architect's plans with another potential construction company so I have a backup option? Or do the plans belong to the architect and I need his permission? I would rather not mention this to him at the moment as I will most likely still go with the first company. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,464 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

the plans are yours

the contract is between you and the architect for his services... who his friends are is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

@BalboBiggins.

Have you engaged the architect directly/are you paying the architect directly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Do not proceed without getting at least 3 quotes for the work. I would also be very wary of engaging a construction company closely associated with the architect as if there is any dispute the architect is more likely to side with the construction company.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

DOCARCH wrote: »
    @BalboBiggins.

Have you engaged the architect directly/are you paying the architect directly?

Hi, yes I have paid him directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

The copyright of the design remains with the architect but you have a licence to use it as part of the contract.... Wouldn't be good for his reputation to kick up a fuss as you wanting more quotes

If there is time pressure on the project, dealing with one contractor/negotiated tender is a good way to go, but you should have an independent Qs...

If not it should be going out to builders with an aim for 3x prices. You need to be going out with a proper specification so you're getting like for like though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

overshoot wrote: »
    The copyright of the design remains with the architect but you have a licence to use it as part of the contract.

+ 1

If you have engaged the architect directly, there should be no issue saying to him/her you want to get 3 quotes from builders for the work.

It would be quite unusual for any job just to get one quote, unless the builder is known to the client/has carried out work for the client before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The plans would be copyright so yes you would need the architect;s consent to use them for the purpose described.

How or why did you end up using an architect and construction business who are obviously working hand in hand? Its certainly not advisable ... on face value anyhow.

I was talking to a few design and build companies and one of the building companies recommended the architect. I got the job priced by an all in one company previously so I assumed if the job comes in too high I will know by comparison. Aside from price are there other reasons that it is inadvisable? Thanks.

one of the building companies recommended the architect.
    Ah, right. I thought he may have been an employee (or part time/contract) being paid by the building co.

Aside from price are there other reasons that it is inadvisable?
    For me personally I always see a potential conflict of interest in these situations. Who's interest is served best to have this arrangement?

You are paying the architect directly so thats slightly different from what I had wrongly assumed from your first post. Whats the architect's brief? Design, planning and works inspections/sign off?

muffler wrote: »
    Whats the architect's brief? Design, planning and works inspections/sign off?

He didn't mention signing off, just design and planning. Legally do I need him to sign off on the work as well?

• Advertisement

Doesn't necessarily have to be him but you will require someone.

Advertisement