Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was the best thing you bought during lock down

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

gogo wrote: »
    I bought the kids gravity (weighted) blankets (one of them as aspergers) as they are great for sensory input/wind down.. found myself hogging one of them a bit. Seen them for adults in Mr Price and said why not.... €40 is cheap for them and it’s also fleeced. Took a punt....
    I’ve been sleeping like the dead since I got it! I wouldn’t describe myself as someone who has any reason to need a gravity blanket for anything, but god, it’s amazing, literally wouldn’t be without it now.

What's a gravity blanket?

EDIT: Just googled it. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Pipmae

What's a gravity blanket?

This is one of the ones from Mr Price but it is out of stock now (they also do a 4kg single bed and 6kg double bed size). They're great. I also bought them in Mr Price for my kids and they love them.

https://www.mrpriceonline.ie/product/teddy-weighted-blanket-pink-8kg-150-x-200cm/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Jaysus there are some flash gits on here buying houses, Mercs, caravans, gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

accensi0n wrote: »
    Mens barbers are screwed.

I'm happily going to dump a load of money in the pub when possible again. But I havn't found myself thinking 'Jesus, can't wait to get a proper haircut'. Seems a lot of guys are finding that they're able to cut their own hair fairly decently.

In my opinion, cutting your own hair is like wearing a pair of jeans from pennys over a pair from Hugo Boss. if you dont care how you look its fine I suppose but not for me. id rather spend the few quid, 15 euro once every 6 weeks is nothing for a proper haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Audiolab network streamer. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Ninja air fryer/ multi cooker. Impulse purchase online at 1am after too much wine. Was much bigger than I was expecting - would never ever have bought it had I seen it in real life. But I love it. Had egg and chips for dinner this evening, yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Gold Submariner. Love it.

With all this time together, we bought some fun adult toys to help pass the time. Apart from that, buying Bitcoin and Ethereum in May was the best purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

An oculus quest vr headset... no covid in the virtual world... I use it a lot for Netflix /YouTube and sports... side loaded some nice streaming apps .... not into gaming but beat sabers is good for exercise ....many other interesting things available on it too!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ooni gas pizza oven. Restaurant quality pizzas any time we like, which is great because even the best pizzas you can get delivered around here are very average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

A GoPro hero 9 black, a decent waterproof jacket for the hills and camping gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Strumms wrote: »
    Bought a Bluetooth speaker too, love them... not arrived yet. This...

6412160_sd.jpg

My old one, about 5 years old, but a pretty top of the range one worth a few quid all of a sudden is just crackling so badly it’s unlistenable ... can’t fathom what happened to it. Post covid I’ll try get it repaired.

Sony-SRSX5.jpg

Ended up with this piece of kit.... nice talking point and looks COOOLLLLL.
    Wife now has commandeered it for the kitchen as a new fixture.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201791-audio-pro-addon-t3-black-black-bluetooth-speaker.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

A bean to cup coffee machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

With all this time together, we bought some fun adult toys to help pass the time. Apart from that, buying Bitcoin and Ethereum in May was the best purchase.

Be careful what you are sticking up your bum hole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We purchased a Jaguar XJ6 (2006 model) in July 2020. The existing car, a merc was starting to give us trouble and my OH - pretty much a car fanatic himself - after a long online search, saw a model in such good condition that he couldn’t ignore.

Bloody big thing.... but oh so very stately... lol :o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

pgj2015 wrote: »
    In my opinion, cutting your own hair is like wearing a pair of jeans from pennys over a pair from Hugo Boss. if you dont care how you look its fine I suppose but not for me. id rather spend the few quid, 15 euro once every 6 weeks is nothing for a proper haircut.
    The best pair of jeans I ever got were from penny's. They're the only ones that have a stretchable crotch - so comfy. I shave my head so I can't really go to wrong with that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

An online subscription to the New Yorker. Gives you access to their entire digital archive as well as their current editions. Loads of good reading to keep me occupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Zaph wrote: »
    Ooni gas pizza oven. Restaurant quality pizzas any time we like, which is great because even the best pizzas you can get delivered around here are very average.

I was so close to hitting the button on this but husband talked me out of it. His argument was we'd never be bothered making the dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 jillette

heldel00 wrote: »
    A very expensive pillow but i couldn't be without it now. It is amazing.

What pillow did you get?? I’m in the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

A good coffee machine, decent workout gear (which double as my WFH gear), an Invisalign treatment plan and lots of good skincare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've bought a few things during lockdown some of the best included:

A decent chef's knife made by Wusthof, it's a pleasure now to prepare veg and carve cooked meat.

An inexpensive waterproof jacket with a thermal lining- getting lots of use now when out walking or cycling.

Most recent purchase was an outdoor table tennis table- I made a temporary one out of MDF last March and it a big hit with the whole family. I'm hoping that when the weather improves we can all get out for some much needed fresh air and activity. It was expensive but I'm happy to try anything to get my children away from screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Lot's of coffee beans and Cyberpunk 2077.

Advertisement