Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the traffic on the M50 getting better?

Options
  • 04-10-2007 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

OK, this might sound controversial to some, but to me it seems as if the traffic on the M50 has been getting better in the last few weeks.

OK, I travel early in the morning and early afternoon, but I have the impression that I am getting through the M50 much quicker.

I am going from Sandyford to go up to the M50 towards the M1 at around 15.35 and I am through the toll by 16.00. A few week backs this took me at least 20 minutes longer.

The same in the morning. There don't seem to be many traffic jams on the M50 around 6.30 - 7.00. At least far less then a few weeks/months back.

So, after I said that tonight there will most likely be a major mayhem on the M50. ;)

Comments

Yes I have noticed an improvement in recent weeks, I can only put it down to the fact that traffic is now mainly running on newly constructed roadway as opposed to one old lane & hard shoulder.

The new lanes being smoother & wider than before, and fewer cars sticking to 60Kmh speed limit is also helping.

Looking forward to all lanes being opened. It will of course just move the problems to another bottleneck, but that's another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

moving the point where the north bound lanes split to past the Ballymount exit has made a big difference, but in the mornings it's still not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Yes the removal of some of those island splits has made a huge difference.

can't wait until the Ballymount - Red cow one is gone. But I'm dreading the impact of any changes to mainline aroudn the N4 .

Traffic north of the toll seems a bit better in the mornings as there is no queue on the toll bridge, so traffic can flow off after the toll barrier (well unless you are takine the N4 slip).

It'll all be great - give it time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

The M50 might be getting better but the surrounding roads are getting worse.
    Example: It's taking a half an hour to to get up the Upper Ballymount Road in the morning and half and hour to get onto the Fonthill Road from Lucan.

dollydrops wrote:
    The M50 might be getting better but the surrounding roads are getting worse.
    Example: It's taking a half an hour to to get up the Upper Ballymount Road in the morning and half and hour to get onto the Fonthill Road from Lucan.

Can only assume that many are still using their "plan B" routes, avoiding the M50 alltogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

Call me an eternal optimist, but the news today suggests things might improve for the M50 ...
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=13570

Free flow for M50S->N4W next week and N7W->M50S mid October. And loads of free flow for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd say a lot of people are using alternative routes. Of course, with this thread we/they'll all be back on it tomorrow....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

jkgvfg wrote:
    And loads of free flow for Christmas.
    Yay, I love presents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

after a year of frustration, it's good to see things are taking shape. I use the red Cow every day so I am quite excited about the new junction, if it does achieve complete free flow then it could mean half an hour a day less time spent in the car.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This was on Drivetime yesterday. http://www.rte.ie/radio1/drivetime/. Click on listen to Latest Show link. It's at 46.00 minutes and goes on to 53.30 or so.
    BTW the Red Cow roundabout is mentioned in the Intrenational Herald Tribune.

• Advertisement
Advertisement