Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Cyclists lodge complaint over 'Jealous Cyclist' advert

• 10-11-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

Press Release: Cyclists lodge complaint over 'Jealous Cyclist' advert

Date: Thursday 10 Nov. 2005

For Immediate use
    The Irish Cycling Campaign (ICC) have lodged a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) about Hibernian Insurance's current TV campaign. The specific issue is that the advert shows a cyclist standing by his bicycle looking towards a driver of van who is passing by and the caption next to the cyclist states "Jealous".

David Maher, PRO of the ICC explained "it indicates that cyclists are simply frustrated would-be motorists who simply lack a car. However Dublin Transportation office (DTO) surveys show that the majority cyclists in Dublin have access to a car but choose to cycle because it is a fast, healthy, efficient and clean mode of transport. The advert conveys an entirely inaccurate
    view of cycling which is motivated purely by commercial interest i.e. Hibernian generate revenue from motorists not cyclists and thus have a commercial interest in denigrating cyclists."

Maher continued "a more accurate advert would show a gridlocked, frustrated, powerless motorist looking on with envy as a cyclist glides through the traffic".

Hibernian's advert is one of a number put out by the motoring industry that belittles non-motorist, with another current radio advert wishing that "I hope a bus comes along soon" to anyone who can't avail of their latest motor insurance product.

Maher concluded "It is a pity given the urgent need to encourage people to get out of their cars, that the motoring industry adopt such a negative approach towards sustainable transport."

ENDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Where can i complain about Hib about this.

All cyclist should do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Forget Benetton - this Hibernian ad must rank as one of the most scurrilous ever to be aired on Irish television. It beggars belief, the sheer cynicism of exploiting people's base stereotypes of cycling so that they will buy cars and purchase Hibernian's overpriced insurance. Could the marketing guys not have come up with something more intelligent?

The average consumer is bombarded by thousands and thousands of messages every week that promote car use at the expense of all other forms of transport.

A quick plug for Budweiser's ad with the guy cycling down the steep hill with his bottles of beer. That's an example of positive promotion of cycling.

Also I notice a lot of the fashion labels are using old-syle bicycles in their photoshoots. Which is brilliant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Metrobest wrote:
    A quick plug for Budweiser's ad with the guy cycling down the steep hill with his bottles of beer. That's an example of positive promotion of cycling.
    I think that was Miller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who cares anyway. The ASAI won't do anything. Cyclists should grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i'm not impressed by the ad but wouldn't get hot and bothered about it - surely the satisfaction of burning past traffic jams outweighs any 'disrespect' hibernian can give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

I actually like this ad. It's catchy and Irish made and has an Irish feel to it.

The company should string this controversy along a bit and then make a big yahoo about changing the bit about the bike to this:

- cut to a view from behind the cyclist as he's cycling along the road wearing a kilt, cycling towards the motorist who's coming the other way
    - as the driver sees the cyclist coming, his eyes drift down towards the kilt just as a puff of wind blows the front of the kilt up
    - the drivers smile fades away and the word "Jealous" appears on screen

:D

Advertisement