Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Estimated value of the worlds drug trade

• 30-04-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

After a quick google search the world's drug trade is estimated to be worth $300-$500billion.

Obviously that's a nice chunk of change but I feel it seems a bit on the low side - I would have thought a good bit more.

Discuss. Please and thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

500 billion is the GDP of Hong Kong.

How much would you estimate it at OP?
    Based on what calculations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I watched the first season of Narco's

Well it seems drug use is increasing every year, new drugs being adding to the shopping list that weren't popular 20-30 years ago (anti-depressants, benzos etc ) so many countries and players involved 500b just seams low. Just a notion rather than any hard and fast calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Doesn't surprise me. There are a lot of barriers and most people would only touch it a few times a year. It's not as popular as people think but still, very popular. But then again I have no concept of money after 5000 euro and 500 billion seems like a lot of shekels.

You can't systematically get illegal drugs to the market like you can with legal products. You have to contend with risks of importation, sunk costs of the drugs that end up getting caught. How many people are realistically producing any drug good at any given time. Probably not many.

Advertisement