Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beware of the Ammyy Scam

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Macumazan

Láidir wrote: »
    They rang me five minutes ago, the number began with 00253 which is a place called Djibouti. I've never heard of it. Told them not to contact me again.

It's a very beautiful country in Africa. Sadly you get a lot of scammers there like in any country.

If they call me I'll tell them I've been a Linux user for 5 years now, see how that goes down. :-)

syklops wrote: »
    Yes and no. While there are advanced anti-VM techniques out there, the chances of this particular piece of malware employing them is unlikely. In fact a lot of malware simply tries to detect if it is running on a VM and kills/exits itself if it does detect a VM because VMs are primarily used for disassembling and analysing malware.

I run Linux natively, and then run Windows inside a VM, so even if my VM software somehow gets taken over, it is running as an unprivileged user and so can't change very much on my machine.

Sounds very sensible. I have an old Windows laptop I keep for when guests come over and just have to use a Windows machine but always tell them it's at their own risk...!

Yep, the scam is still running

I keep getting phone calls from these people who want me to go to ammyy.

I keep them on the line as long as i can, i don't download anything, but i get them to explain everything over and over again. Just to frustrate and waste their time.

Last time i pretended to be a one armed simpleton who kept having to put down the phone to type in the keys and deliberately misspelling everything i was asked to type.

Today i went along with it for about 30 mins then told him the scam artist that i was a policeman and he was after ringing a policestation. He asked me if i was tracing the call, i said yes, he said where am i? I told him that he was in a gay bar. Guy got very nasty after that :)

I use these scum as an opportunity to have fun

Ha ha great :-) see www.419eater.com to record your success next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

Anyone like that calls me I just say dont have a computer, it gets them every time... they sound so puzzled and shocked!

Mark.87 wrote: »
    Anyone like that calls me I just say dont have a computer, it gets them every time... they sound so puzzled and shocked!

Perhaps this an honest telesales outsourcing company who have been duped by a scammer into harvesting people's CC info? Might explain people's shock - or maybe it's just because people in India think every Westerner drives a Ferrari and has a laptop?

Advertisement