Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Defender any good?

Options
  • 19-07-2006 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

For the last few months I've been using Windows Defender, and Windows Anti-Spyware Beta. I was using Spybot Search & Destroy before that, but I removed that when I installed the Microsoft one. I'm just wondering what's the general opinion here about Windows Defender, is it any good? Do any people here use it in conjunction with another Anti-Spyware product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its ALWAYS a good idea to have more than one... no single product is enough. Put back on spybot and make sure you run the advanced options like immunise and HOSTS file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No harm in installing it, OP. I have Ad-aware, Spybot and Windows Defender just if something slips through the net. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I had arse-pain with spyware about 2 years ago and S&D did the job. I've been using Windows Anti-Spyware / Defender since it first became available as a Beta also. I havent had one spyware problem since. I'd say Defender is a bit easier to use and involves a little less maintenance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for corporate users - you can deploy defender via .msi's and AD
    BUT
    if the internet connection is via proxy you need to setup WSUS internally for updates

Still the price is right, but compared to [strike]GIANT[/strike]microsoft antispyware some features may be missing - not too sure how true this FUD list is - can anyone confirm

IE Toolbar exploits
    Tracks Eraser
    Browser restore
    Active X protection
    Monitor IE Settings
    Hosts File
    Shell Execute Hooks
    Browser Hijacks

If they want to charge then bye-bye though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/faq.mspx

First question under FAQ covers the differences(still vague).

The fact its still in beta does leave chargeing in the possibilites list. But from what i can gather its a re hack of microsoft anti spyware.

Microsoft has released numerous statements saying they have interest in the security space so this tool could be a toe dipping exercise. Though Windows defender will ship with vista by the look of things.

Also there was a press quote from microsoft a few months back on rootkits needing a fresh os install to get rid of so windows defender might not be getting serious teeth but thats my speculation so its therefor unreliable.

Also today theres been a press release of microsoft has bought Winternals
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2c1895%2c1990597%2c00.asp

To be honest i havnt actually picked up spyware using Defender as Spybot
    is my personal choice.

All and all you are getting a free anty spyware tool that was developed on the back of the Microsoft honeymonkeys project so while its free i can think of using worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Its ok but as said before never relie on the one app, i use 4 or 5 apps when removing spyware to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Cheers lads for all the suggestions.

I put Spybot back on and it found a couple of threats that Defender missed out on. So I'll probably just leave it with the two apps should be grand.

Advertisement