Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandfather clock - what's it worth?

Options
  • 18-02-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

My mother in law has this grandfather clock in her house that she's looking to sell. Me being into watches, she's asked me could I put a rough value on it.

She bought it sometime in the 80's in Patrick Ford Clocks in Rathgar. It doesn't have any manufacturer name on it anywhere, the only marking being "Western Germany" on the dial.

It's in good cosmetic condition, always been kept in a warm house. I don't know if it's ever been serviced, it runs but it hasn't been used in the last 10 years to my knowledge, so would definitely need one.

Here it is;

gSCszRd.jpg?1

ONwo4LL.jpg?1

hzGyXyq.jpg?1

sr1YTGZ.jpg?1

It appears to be the model 401.
    xE9pzyc.jpg?1

I don't know the first thing about grandfather clocks. Has anyone a rough idea what it might be worth?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

It's decorative and would probably appeal to someone like the owner of a provincial hotel who wanted to give his/her premises 'the Victorian look'. As such it would be best to ask an auctioneer who deals with general household furniture and house clearances as to the likely amount it would make at auction in the current market.

It's what I'd describe as repro. If you pushed me to estimate its value I'd say €200-300. Looks in good Nick so who knows, in an auction it would only need two bidders to really want it and it could fly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah the Western Germany bit would suggest a date between the mid 50's to the 80's, so it's old, but not old old as it were. I'd reckon a little higher of a figure retail for a decorative dealer type. 5-800 kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Very helpful lads, thanks.

Advertisement