Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxic relationship is over and I’m struggling to deal with my broken heart

Options
  • 30-01-2021 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I’m the girl who works in healthcare in a pandemic whose partner wanted me to cook my own meals, who gave me silent treatment over things like talking too loud, who wanted me to do my own grocery shopping and pick up house stuff without a car over a petty argument, who accused me of masturbating in my sleep when I was itching due to shaving rash and ingrown hairs. You guys posted and gave me great advice. I was too weak and my judgement was clouded by him telling me we would work things through. It’s over now. It’s really over for good and I’m so scared. I’m scared of being alone after being in a relationship for 6 years. I’m scared of dating again. I’m scared that I might never meet someone that I connect with and start the family that I want. I’m ashamed that it’s taken me so long to break it off for good. I feel pathetic that I let someone treat me this way. I have a great support network with my family and friends that I am so grateful for. I am not looking for specific advice, I guess I’m just putting my thoughts into words

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Sounds like you are well rid of him.
    Look, it’s a difficult time to be suffering from fear and loneliness after a break up - it’s not like you can go to the pub and have a laugh and a dance with your friends to distract yourself. It is hard being single in a pandemic and there is no getting around it.
    It’s good you recognise it was a toxic relationship and that’s it fear of being alone that bothers you and not missing him or wanting to get back with him. You will be fine - these are all totally normal emotions and will heal in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

It sounds like it is for the best. Hard to see right now. But you're worried about not meeting someone else etc, not missing him, that shows just how over it was, which will hopefully make moving on easier.

Logistically, will you be able to move in with family for a while? You said you have great support which is wonderful, they could probably see what he was like.

I know when I broke up with a long term boyfriend years ago I missed the texting him during the day etc so I asked a good friend could I text her silly stuff during the day like how uneventful my sandwich was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

It’s normally to feel all those things. We all did when a relationship ended.
    Things will get better and in a few weeks or months you’ll look back and realise how well you’ve adjusted.

Keep in contact with family and friends and you’ll get through it.

Time is definitely a healer in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

kitkat275 it’s ok to put your words down here .
    Time will heal -you are prob tired of hearing this and it can be easy to say now but trust us /your friends/your family it will.
    You should be treated as a Queen , esp where u work right now .
    Relationships are equal partnerships, and we all should be able to talk out our troubles and worries or at least have a sounding board if it’s not then it gets harder and harder. You have made a decision and although hard it’s right and you are no 1 in this.
    Don’t ever forget yourself !!
    Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Hi op, I remember your "itching thread" and you'd often pop into my head........you posted that around the time we had a newborn and our sleep pattern was all over the shop. I remember thinking if this is his reaction to a scratch he'll never survive a newborn.

I think you've had a lucky escape, I think if you had your family with him you would have been doing everything on your own while dealing with toddler tantrums (his) .

The meals thread was just plan weird on his part, it's as handy to throw a couple of extra spuds on, extra pork chop/chicken etc when doing your own meal.

He sounds very self centered, entitled individual.

Be kind to yourself. You will get through this and be stronger for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Well done on making such a brave decision and be proud of you for having the strength to put your need to be loved and appreciated first. Its difficult right now to make such big changes after 6 years and it's natural to feel anxious and fearful leaving the relationship behind. But think about the opportunities that lay ahead of you - you no longer have to spend valuable time or energy dealing with a selfish, uncaring individual, you can look after you now and take the time to build yourself back up after a horrible experience so that you're ready when someone new comes along. Do something for you today and try not to worry - thoughts are just fleeting and its scientifically proven that things are never as bad as we imagine them to be. The fact that you were strong enough to make a stand for yourself and walk away tells me you're going to be ok. Sending hugs x

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

YellowLead wrote: »
    Sounds like you are well rid of him.
    Look, it’s a difficult time to be suffering from fear and loneliness after a break up - it’s not like you can go to the pub and have a laugh and a dance with your friends to distract yourself. It is hard being single in a pandemic and there is no getting around it.
    It’s good you recognise it was a toxic relationship and that’s it fear of being alone that bothers you and not missing him or wanting to get back with him. You will be fine - these are all totally normal emotions and will heal in time.

Exactly this.

Also, OP, if you can find your old threads, you might find it helpful to reread them.

Don't be telling yourself you were weak, that you feel ashamed or pathetic, turn those thoughts around, as soon as they pop into your head.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

OP, what is your current living situation? I remember your old threads and if I have this right, you bought a house with him. Is he still there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It will take time kitkat. It must only be a matter of days. It will get easier. You've made the right decision. This has been a long time coming and although it may not feel like it now, you are better off.

OP, the reason I asked a little earlier what your living situation is now, is that I feel you are in a very vulnerable position. You are one moment of doubt away from going back on your decision and continuing with this relationship. Living under the same roof as an ex is difficult at the best of times. When you're living with somebody you still love (mentioned in recent post), you are in a precarious place.

As well as talking to the people who care about you, have you sought out counselling? I think you should because I feel there are issues with you that need to be taken through with a professional. I assume that throughout your relationship, you saw the warning signs of what he was really like. Instead of seeing them as a sign that he wasn't the nice person you thought he was, you pulled on a pair of blinkers and shut them out. You continued with the relationship right up to the point of getting engaged and buying a house together. You really need to get to the bottom of why, because you're in danger of repeating the same mistakes again. They might happen with this guy if you take him back or you might meet someone else just like him.

Your mind is racing and you're panicking. I get that. You invested 6 years of your life into this relationship and you probably feel you're within touching distance of getting what you want. You've got a career, a house and a partner who you desperately wish would come good. The temptation to return back to what you know must be enormous. Saying goodbye to your hopes and dreams with this man is a significant thing to deal with. Anybody who has had to start again will understand exactly what you're going through. The terror, the self-doubt, the loneliness, the redefining of how you see yourself.

You were right to kick this man to the kerb and I think we're all hoping that's where he stays. He has shown consistently, through his behaviour, that he is not somebody to build a life with. Instead of helping you when needed it, he punished you and put you back in your place. You can't drive (please learn when this is over!) so refusing to pick up the household items was an easy "win" for him. Not having something for you to stick in the microwave when you get in from work is another way of keeping you down. The silent treatment and the accusations about masturbation also fall into this pattern. All of these things are such mean-minded things to do. They're not what normal, nice people do for their partners. You two should be a team and know that the other one has your back. I see no evidence of that here. What would happen if you fell ill or lost your job? Can you say without any doubts that he'd step up to the plate and make you feel loved and supported? I have absolutely no doubt that if you were to have children, he'd continue to keep you in your place. You'd be the one doing the feeds and changing the nappies and getting up every night. You'd be begging him to bring you and your child to clinics, the doctor etc. Your child would grow up seeing that it is OK for daddy to ignore mammy and treat her like crap. Your child would probably see you dancing around daddy's moods and dealing with his meanness. This man could easily start treating his own children like this too. Why stop with the woman he supposedly loves? You're probably damaged from this relationship but at least you have a better upbringing to fall back on. Do you want to bring innocent children into this and have them learn from the very beginning a warped idea of family life and relationships? Please stay walking and get the help you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Yeah sorry, but if you broke it off be sure that this isn't over. Tork probably summarised this better than I'd ever be capable of, but you are definitely not out of this.
    The game has changed but it won't be over unless it's on his terms: that's the way it's been, and that's the way it will continue to be if you let yourself dragged back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Ah I'm sorry you've gone through this Kitkat. You are very brave to walk away from this man so well done for that. I know how long it must have taken you to build up the courage to do and to finally realise that YOU were not the problem, he was.

I can only speak from my personal experience of ending a toxic relationship a few years back. It was very difficult to do and my confidence and self worth was at an all time low after years of manipulation and mental abuse.

I decided to work on myself to make sure I never got into that situation again. I figured if I didn't do that, then I would only repeat history and I couldn't do go through that again. I decided I deserved better and you do too.

For now you have to continue being strong as hard as it is. Its very likely he thinks you're just blowing off steam and he can manipulate you back into his arms. No matter what he says he is not going to change. Block him on everything, ignore any contact whatsoever.

You are lucky to have support around you, let them support you. You deserve real love.
    Choose yourself and your sanity and your happiness.

kitkat275 wrote: »
    I’m the girl who works in healthcare in a pandemic whose partner wanted me to cook my own meals, who gave me silent treatment over things like talking too loud, who wanted me to do my own grocery shopping and pick up house stuff without a car over a petty argument, who accused me of masturbating in my sleep when I was itching due to shaving rash and ingrown hairs. You guys posted and gave me great advice. I was too weak and my judgement was clouded by him telling me we would work things through. It’s over now. It’s really over for good and I’m so scared. I’m scared of being alone after being in a relationship for 6 years. I’m scared of dating again. I’m scared that I might never meet someone that I connect with and start the family that I want. I’m ashamed that it’s taken me so long to break it off for good. I feel pathetic that I let someone treat me this way. I have a great support network with my family and friends that I am so grateful for. I am not looking for specific advice, I guess I’m just putting my thoughts into words

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kitkat275

Thank you so much everyone, Tork your message especially resonated. We are currently living together, my plan is to be able to buy him out as I own a bigger percentage of the house. He is still here because legally he is entitled to stay and his family are freaked about covid. I had a bad evening, I felt really upset thinking about all of our happy memories and the plans we talked about for the future and I’m so so sad

I hope you have people you can talk to when you're having an evening like this one? It really does help to talk when things are getting on top of you. I also liked the suggestion from heretothere about texting a friend with the sort of chatter you might've been sending to your ex (that is, if he was the sort who did that sort of thing). It might involve a bit of planning but try to have somebody to chat to every evening when you get in from work. It is far from ideal that he is still under the same roof, so you need to be especially vigilant. I suppose you're getting a constant reminder of why you ended this when you come home and have to eat a bowl of cereal.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Have you told people you're broken up? Has he told his family? I know Covid is obviously an issue, but if he's working from home, and you're the only person he's in contact with then Covid shouldn't be THAT much of a concern to them all. He could still move out and in with family. He could still find a house share somewhere.

My guess is, he knows he has a cushy number and he's in no rush to move anywhere. He doesn't respect you, so he doesn't respect your decision to end the relationship. He thinks if he sits around on his arse for a while, gives you a few days to calm down, you'll come to your senses and everything will be "grand" and just carry on.

You need to let people know that it's over. You need to let him know it's over and that he has to find alternative living arrangements. Otherwise I can unfortunately see you posting again in a few months with pretty much the same issues you have already posted about, and you'll be in some sort of limbo not knowing if you're actually together or not.

Not sure why he is the one who needs to move out asap, sure it’d be practical if the OP stayed with friends/ family while she is feeling so raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Not sure why he is the one who needs to move out asap, sure it’d be practical if the OP stayed with friends/ family while she is feeling so raw.

Well he's working from home so in theory can work anywhere.

She's working outside the home so commute etc needs to be considered. She is also frontline ,I'm not sure how welcoming people would be to such a risk to them and their family from a houseguest.

Plus if the plan is to buy him out, he'll be going anyway so no harm getting things in motion.

Well he's working from home so in theory can work anywhere.

She's working outside the home so commute etc needs to be considered. She is also frontline ,I'm not sure how welcoming people would be to such a risk to them and their family from a houseguest.

Plus if the plan is to buy him out, he'll be going anyway so no harm getting things in motion.
    Yeah I get that but he clearly won’t be in any rush, why would he be?
    Just because the OP plans to do something doesn’t mean that he will go along with it either.
    This is all nice in theory but not necessarily practical. As others pointed out the Op is the one struggling and will find herself back at square one if she remains passive.

Hi OP - you said you had great support from family and friends, what have they suggested?

Is there any other option for you to stay somewhere even for a week to get your head out of the space and recharge. Hotels are open for essential workers and are doing good deals at the moment - would you consider going to one for a week or a few days just to get yourself together?

As you have said he is legally entitled to be there as it’s his property too - so if he has refused to leave that might well continue and you need to be prepared for that - living together until the legal bits are sorted.

OP can't drive so her options might be curtailed by that

• Advertisement

Just to clarify the house situation- I don’t drive and I am walking distance from my job so moving isn’t really an option. I’m originally from the north so don’t have any family to stay with either. Because it’s all so new and fresh not many people know yet, I want to be careful about how to handle the living arrangements because I’m aware that it could get messy when it comes to dividing the house. I own 80% of the house, have already spoken to my solicitor who has been able to advise me but because of the strange times we are in it’s not as simple as him going to stay with parents or a friend

It should be that simple kitkat.

It's only not that simple if you let it be. I assume he hasn't told anyone that you've finished with him. Because he doesn't believe you. He thinks lay low for a while, keep the head down, you'll calm down and then everything will just carry on.

Covid isn't going anywhere until at least the summer. Are you going to stay living together until then?

Are you a close contact of a confirmed case? Are you working in an area where there's been an outbreak? Are you being tested regularly?

I had to leave my home in May, bringing 4 children with me. I work in the health service. My sister did not question and opened her house to me. My siblings rallied round. My parents came to see if I was OK. Yes, Covid is a threat, but you need to weigh up just how much of a real threat it is to your ex.

Sounds like it's not.

And this is stalling tactics on his part, and maybe on yours because you're struggling to come to terms with your relationship ending. That is perfectly understandable. It's never easy. Your heart needs to catch up with your head, and there's always that tiny little hope that maybe he'll realise you're serious and cop on and turn into the world's best boyfriend.

Take your time to get your head/heart around the breakup. But if he's going to be moving out then you need to make sure he is aware of that. He doesn't think he's going anywhere!

Can you tell us what your solicitor has advised? Is your ex legally entitled to stay there because he owns 20%? If not, off he goes covid or not.
    Is he open to you buying him out and how quickly can that be arranged?

YellowLead wrote: »
    Can you tell us what your solicitor has advised? Is your ex legally entitled to stay there because he owns 20%? If not, off he goes covid or not.
    Is he open to you buying him out and how quickly can that be arranged?

Yeah he owns the house regardless of how much so he’s as entitled to stay there as much as I am. The way things are at the moment between us is still very raw and there are a lot of negative emotions so I’m not sure how to approach it

That’s going to make any break up 10 times tougher, having to share the same space. You poor thing!
    There are quite a few threads in the Separation and Divorce section of boards that might be useful for a gander through. Lots of people in these situations with shared property trying to figure out splits.

There's no real rush. Let emotions die down for a few days. Stay away from each other. Avoid each other, as much as possible in a confined space. And when you are feeling better just approach him with "so how are we going to sort out the living arrangements?" Get all your information from the solicitor and go to him with your proposal for buying him out. Or him moving out and you taking over full mortgage repayments until you have arranged for a remortgage.

Tell him he also needs to get his own financial advice and hopefully mediation can bring you both to an agreement.

There's no rush... But at the same time, you don't want to let this drag on with you both under the same roof for another 4-6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP I lived with my ex for 9 months after we split and survived. It wasn't always easy but after a few weeks we reverted to just being two people sharing a house. The key is staying out of each others' way as much as possible while you try to heal yourself. The fact that you work on the front line is an absolute bonus at the moment, being able to get out for work will give you space. Framing it in that way in your head might help.

The HSE have a mental health text service at the moment, text hello to 50808 if you need someone to talk to.

It's going to be a tough few weeks but you're stronger than you realise, your posts have shown this. You can come through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Just to say OP, the Irish Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists have counsellors offering free sessions to frontline staff. Check out their website IACP.

Similiarly HSE are offering free counselling to people affected by COVID through my mind. I think its mymind.ie.

Might just be useful to talk to someone as you work through it and might aswell take advantage of the free services out there for frontline staff.

As someone else suggested maybe a couple of nights staying in a hotel may help and also the advice about having a friend to text throughout the day. I remember that helping me in the past.

But you really do need to start telling people, why wouldn't you, unless you don't believe its over. As someone else said there will be a part of you waiting for him to turn into the perfect guy, but the harsh truth is he will not, the sooner you can accept that, the easier it will be and telling people is part of accepting that.

Mind yourself and be gentle with yourself. Set yourself a few goals as part of your single life, maybe learn to drive, plan a trip (to take when this is over), what ever it is you are interested in. I find after a break up I have to spend some time trying to remember who I was beforehand. What i liked, what were my interests, maybe spend some time thinking about that.

Advertisement