Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wideslab 100mm or 150mm hollowcore

• 25-02-2021 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi
    I recently got a price for hollowcore from a precast manufacturer. They quoted me for 150mm hollowcore. I noticed since that they do a wideslab 100mm option. Just wondering why this wasnt given as an option or is there limitations with it. I am struggling for height and the extra 50mm may be worth it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What does your engineer say/recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Moggaman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What does your engineer say/recommend?

I have not discussed it with him yet.. I am researching prices and just wondered about the differences between the two products .
    I presume the wideslab means less loading on the walls but possibly less ability to build dense block work on the first floor?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Too little information for anybody to comment and you are verging on a structural question (which is not permitted)!

You should discuss with your engineer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

You need to get an engineer to give appropriate loadings to the slab manufacturer and they will then happily provide you with a price for any of their products that can support the relevant loads.

If you are leaving it to the slab manufacturer to pull the loading values out of their own arse the quality and safety of the end result will depend on the quality of arse from which the figures are plucked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,197 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Moggaman wrote: »
    I have not discussed it with him yet.. I am researching prices and just wondered about the differences between the two products .
    I presume the wideslab means less loading on the walls but possibly less ability to build dense block work on the first floor?.

The thicknesses are based on the proposed loading. You need to give the suppliers the loading for them to give the appropriate thickness, design and specification.

It's not a decision to make based on price. It's entirely dependent on the loading, which your engineer needs to provide to the supplier.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    The thicknesses are based on the proposed loading. You need to give the suppliers the loading for them to give the appropriate thickness, design and specification.

It's not a decision to make based on price. It's entirely dependent on the loading, which your engineer needs to provide to the supplier.

Thanks . That what I was wondering ... the wideslab is a bespoke slab in reality then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Moggaman wrote: »
    Thanks . That what I was wondering ... the wide-slab is a bespoke slab in reality then

No, it is not, it is a solid slab as opposed to a hollow-core slab, it is generally wider: 2.4 versus 1.2 for HC.

As it is solid, it may actually be heavier than the HC, at 100 vs 150

Its a design issue with pros and cons which are stated on many sites
    google PRE-STRESSED WIDESLAB FLOOR SLABS

As for being worried about 50mm at this stage, the mind boggles

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No, it is not, it is a solid slab as opposed to a hollow-core slab, it is generally wider: 2.4 versus 1.2 for HC.

As it is solid, it may actually be heavier than the HC, at 100 vs 150

Its a design issue with pros and cons which are stated on many sites
    google PRE-STRESSED WIDESLAB FLOOR SLABS

As for being worried about 50mm at this stage, the mind boggles

Ah I’m not worried! I was never changing from HC.. I was just wondering about the different situations they might be used in.. and in fairness I’ve gotten a through answer . Thanks

Advertisement