Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Enjoy Being an Alcoholic!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

No need for people to argue on here - is there? it seems that different methods work for different people.. depending on their situation..

In any event, I definitely think a visit to the GP should be the 1st port of call..

Hope your doing ok OP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This is unusual perhaps, but I drink maybe 6-cans a night - and have done so quite extensively over the past few years. I'm in my late 20s, too, and do try to balance alcohol intake with a very good diet and extensive exercise.

The problem is this: that I enjoy drinking alcohol at night. I know many people get depressed and drink because they are sad or responding to stress or some other negative reason, but I have no reason at all to be depressed. I have quite a good life and I don't have anything bad going on.

I make over 120,000 per year, so affording beers each night isn't much of an issue either.

At least when someone is depressed, there is a clear path toward quitting alcohol. It's almost easier I suppose. But I'm drinking it because I enjoy it, in the same way, a smoker (I don't smoke) enjoys the act of smoking even with the full knowledge of the damage it can do.

It's a bit of a Catch-22.

I know it can cause long-term damage, but I enjoy it in the short-term.

Also, many people would classify my drinking habit like that of an "alcoholic", even though, as I said, I'm quite a positive, upbeat, and hard-working individual.

But I could be fooling myself. Hence why I've offered to throw this out for legitimate critique and to analyze your interpretation of what some might consider a bad habit.

Thanks in advance for any replies received.
    I don't know if you are an alcoholic or not.

Maybe people enjoy doing things to excess like it wouldn't be worth having just two cans.

The only thing i can suggest ...is maybe become a connoisseur rather than a gourmand who will drink anything.

This thing called self care ..its very romanticized ...often its not doing thins we like at all but the opposite.

Ask a doctor what your recommended intake should be. Ask him to look you over etc.

If you are a true alcoholic ....i think you need expert advice.

Do you think you can drink ...without drinking to excess and still enjoy it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Best of luck OP. I gave it up last June, said I'd had enough. Sounds tough with people not working, no where open, but as you go on, it gets easier.

Advertisement