Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA

Options
  • 28-01-2021 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, would love to hear anyones thoughts about a mystery of mine. I did the Myheritage DNA test a while back. Just before Christmas I received a message there from someone who had just sprung up as a close match to me. She comes up as... my Great aunt or first cousin or first cousin once removed. We are both totally baffled by this as none of our ancestoral names are a match and we are both sure that we would know someone so closely connected. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There was likely an affair resulting in a parent differing to the birth cert somewhere along the line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This would sound like, unfortunately, there was a "non-paternity event" somewhere quite near on one side or the other. If you're getting matches up both sides of your tree; its not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

L1011 wrote: »
    This would sound like, unfortunately, there was a "non-paternity event" somewhere quite near on one side or the other. If you're getting matches up both sides of your tree; its not yours.

There's a euphemism I hadn't heard before, very much a polite and compassionate little bit of decorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

banie01 wrote: »
    There was likely an affair resulting in a parent differing to the birth cert somewhere along the line.

Yes I think you are most likely right!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Does she match other people in your family?
    It would be helpful to know if she matched a paternal or maternal cousin of yours to help determine which side.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It would be helpful to know if she matched a paternal or maternal cousin of yours to help determine which side.

we have some similar matches, 3rd to 5th cousins... we dont recognise them. My mums dad had at least one daughter with another woman, Ive met her and we both reckon this lady who contacted me may be another...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Whats cm's are you matching at?

hblock21 wrote: »
    Whats cm's are you matching at?

645.6 cm.... my sons is 3500 ish, so its a lot when you think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Elizabetha wrote: »
    645.6 cm.... my sons is 3500 ish, so its a lot when you think of it

At most your 1st cousins or 1st cousin once removed

Yes, but that level could also be a great-aunt or half-aunt.

If she's keen, you may need to agree to do some target tests.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes, but that level could also be a great-aunt or half-aunt.

If she's keen, you may need to agree to do some target tests.

yes thats true, the other lady I mentioned that is my half aunt has done the same dna test. If she comes up as a match with me and this lady who shows up as my great aunt, questions need to be asked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

All my matches from abroad come from countries that Irish people emigrated to. Apart from one from Sweden. Was contacted by the Swedish match and neither of us can figure it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

banie01 wrote: »

Or an adoption/fostering arrangement that the child never became aware of.

spurious wrote: »
    Or an adoption/fostering arrangement that the child never became aware of.

yes, all possibilities

She matched distant cousins of mine, no of which I recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

If you upload both of your tests to Gedmatch and FTDNA (both free) you might get some close matches. Ancestry has by far the biggest database so if you can afford any more tests it would be well worth doing one there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GEDmatch's new terms and conditions are a tad problematic, however.

Well, if you want to figure it out, you'll have to test other people in your family. Start with a first cousin on each side.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement