Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think is a fair salary for TDs, Ministers etc?

Options
  • 25-09-2020 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭

Everybody gives out about the TDs pay. "They are paid too much" they say, "I'd like to see them do the job at minimum wage" is another one. And then there is the expenses, oh lord! The expenses are another racket!

So I put it to the good people of boards, what do you think is a fair salary for doing the job of a TD, minister, tanaiste or Taoiseach? Should it be voluntary? Should it be the average Ind wage? Is the current salary acceptable?

For reference, here's what they are on: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/salaries-and-allowances/salaries/

I think the ceann comhairle is on the handiest number - pulls in an additional €80k a year without any responsibility or decision making. Sean OFearghaile got elected to third seat in a 3 seat constituency (8,200 votes) in 2016. He will do two terms as CC which will earn him potentially 720k in CC allowances. This is on top of 3 terms in the dail, potentially 1.4m in salary. Plus expenses. So potentially 14 years and 2.1m off the back of a single, mediocre election win. In that time he doesn't even need to take a position on anything or face a single tough interview - mad stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Whatever provokes whinging about 'degubbernmint'.

Plus a euro, for the craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Can they work overtime
    And summer holidays

plus the pension dont forget

ok, compare it to say, a fair high level management role. imperfect but a start.

take the difficulty in getting the job, then add in the responsibility. sprinkle the hours demanded. consider the stability.

certainly juice the numbers with the fact that you are public property.

you'll come to the same conclusion i do, maybe

the bad ones are overpaid

the good ones are underpaid

we all disagree on who belongs in each category

isnt life funny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In calculating what you think they should be paid ask yourself these questions:
    1. How do their income and responsibilities compare with other qualified people?
    2. How much do you think they would earn if they were not in the Dail?
    3. How much does your favourite singer or musician earn, or your favourite sportsperson? Do you think that they perform a greater or more important service to humanity?
    4. Would you have the job, and for how much?

Of course if you think that everybody on their income level should be reduced so be it. In your campaigning you will be busy taking on the rock stars and sporting megastars and others

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Get Real

Possibly controversial to say, and people love to jump at the high salaries and pensions. But I wouldn't be a minister for any less than 100k.

No matter what decisions you make, there'll be a large proportion of people who disagree with you.

You're only temporary and you base your decisions on civil servants who are in the same role decades.

You can't do things you actually want to do, rather you are confined by politics and financial limits.

You're always "on". People will always feel they can approach you to moan about something/ discuss a policy/ tell you a story when you just want to sit and have a coffee.

Your life is controlled by schedules, dictated by advisors and involving trips away, early starts, late finishes, regardless of what you might have planned.

Again, you're subject to abuse/twitter scrutiny/criticism (as well as praise) for anything you do or say.

Salary is fair imo and it's give and take. If others begrudge them of it, they should run for election themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The entire government costs about 500 mil a year to run, its 1/40th of the cost of the welfare bill and 1/160th the total tax take thats everything all in.

The salaries are fair and disuade corruption but there is a definite issue with expenses ala the SF TD and printing expenses, but overall elected official salaries are reasonable for our country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

I think they should be paid very highly. Pay them pennies and you will only attract TDs that end up in the pockets of big business.

You might save a bit in salary by paying them lowly but it will end up costing the taxpayer a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I actually largely agree with the positive opinions regarding pay, it's easily one of the sh1ttised jobs anyone could do, they earn their money in the abuse they receive alone, but many work colossal hours and travel a lot, I couldn't do it, I'd have a breakdown in the first week. I've an enormous amount of respect for them, even for those I disagree with, somebody has to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I earn 2/3 of what TDs do and if someone offered my a 50% raise to do their job I wouldn’t take it.

So maybe they’re underpaid although their expenses are a bit ott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I earn 2/3 of what TDs do and if someone offered my a 50% raise to do their job I wouldn’t take it.

So maybe they’re underpaid although their expenses are a bit ott.

Yes, I used to be one of the many that moaned and criticised the salary of TDs etc but it is an always on job and I know I couldn't/wouldn't do it.
    I understand the position opens up lots of doors for them also, careerwise.
    Lots of rubbish TDs and senators in the mix but for the former, the public gets what the public wants.

Expenses and possibly pensions are overinflated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

my boss gets paid 300,000 euros
    and bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

bobbyy gee wrote:
    my boss gets paid 300,000 euros and bonus

...and I'm sure he receives 300k's worth of stress to

MPs in Singapore start on $888,000...yikes!

....and I'd imagine it's a far better run country also

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I wouldn't be a TD for what they are on now.

Life is too short for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Pay them highly, even give them a raise, stop this crap of hiring these advisors, often family members

Pay them highly, even give them a raise, stop this crap of hiring these advisors, often family members

Wouldn't agree with the raise, the optics would be dreadful, in the current situation. Governments will always need advisor's, running a country is bloody complicated, if family members are worthy of the positions, so be it, but if they ain't......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Three fiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Get Real wrote: »
    Possibly controversial to say, and people love to jump at the high salaries and pensions. But I wouldn't be a minister for any less than 100k.

No matter what decisions you make, there'll be a large proportion of people who disagree with you.

You're only temporary and you base your decisions on civil servants who are in the same role decades.

You can't do things you actually want to do, rather you are confined by politics and financial limits.

You're always "on". People will always feel they can approach you to moan about something/ discuss a policy/ tell you a story when you just want to sit and have a coffee.

Your life is controlled by schedules, dictated by advisors and involving trips away, early starts, late finishes, regardless of what you might have planned.

Again, you're subject to abuse/twitter scrutiny/criticism (as well as praise) for anything you do or say.

Salary is fair imo and it's give and take. If others begrudge them of it, they should run for election themselves.

To be honest, when I see the stuff posted on here about Ministers and TDs, when I see posters adopting the name of a TD's partner for a laugh, when I see the ****e on Twitter, I come to the conclusion that it would be a lot more than 100k before I would do that job.

There are thousands in the pharmaceutical, technology and finance sectors earning more than 100k, much better places to look for a job.

The government has hired 65 advisers according to Sinn Fein.

How many of them are "often family members". I would guess zero. Do you know the figure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

€60K and expenses claimed need to be compoletely verified,nothing else.

They shouldnt get anywhere near the amount of holidays they get either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

blanch152 wrote: »
    The government has hired 65 advisers according to Sinn Fein.

How many of them are "often family members". I would guess zero. Do you know the figure?

It's not the advisors that are related. A number of TDs hire relations as parliamentary or constituency assistants, as Alan Farrell did and many others have done.

But it's not always due to nepotism, they may want someone they know and can trust.

It's not the advisors that are related. A number of TDs hire relations as parliamentary or constituency assistants, as Alan Farrell did and many others have done.

But it's not always due to nepotism, they may want someone they know and can trust.

Given those assistants are only on 25k a year, around the living wage, they probably can't get anyone else to do the job.

The allegation was made about advisers though, not about the person typing the TD's letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

I think what they earn is fair. Maybe a closer look is needed at expenses and all that, but overall seems ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I have no problem with the wages they receive if they do their job. What annoys me is the almost empty Dail chamber (even pre Covid) and €100k+ of unvouched expenses they receive when I as a teacher have had to buy my own stationary including board markers and have even bought an additional whiteboard and press for my own classroom from my own money.

Jane98 wrote: »
    I have no problem with the wages they receive if they do their job. What annoys me is the almost empty Dail chamber (even pre Covid) and €100k+ of unvouched expenses they receive when I as a teacher have had to buy my own stationary including board markers and have even bought an additional whiteboard and press for my own classroom from my own money.

make sure you always shout and scream about dump policies such as austerity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

€550,000 is not big money in Singapore.

Car99 wrote: »
    €550,000 is not big money in Singapore.

any idea of average earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TBH I think the salary they are on is reasonable, TDs put themselves out in front of the public and its the same public who votes them in.

Now expenses are a different story, I think they should be abolished because anyone on nearly 100 k a year sould be well able to cover their own costs.

As for the Seanad the salary those leeches should be on is the steam off their piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    my boss gets paid 300,000 euros
    and bonus

I suspect his political ambitions are very modest :)

Advertisement