Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Battery Drain - PlayStore Update (Aug 2020) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you have contact tracing turned on in the app?

Yeah.

Yeah.

Do you possibly not have your phone unplugged long enough to notice a battery drain? Or in the opposite sense do you use your phone so much that you wouldn't notice a small increase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

greasepalm wrote: »

Mixed signals.
    Says it was because of a google update and had nothing at all to do with the COVID app yet clearing the cash for the COVID app and no other is a possible fix.

Was there a flaw in the coding of the app and the google update exposed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Deleting all data from Google services fixed mine. Didn't do this for any other app. Settings> Apps>Google play services>storage>clear storage (delete all)

I did do a mass update of all my apps when I encountered the issue but that didn't help one bit. My phone was felt like it might melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Deleting all data from Google services fixed mine. Didn't do this for any other app. Settings> Apps>Google play services>storage>clear storage (delete all)

I did do a mass update of all my apps when I encountered the issue but that didn't help one bit. My phone was felt like it might melt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I dont have that tracking app but noticed there was a drain from fully charged at night to about 82% by 10 next day but trying it out as cache was large and apps stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I dont have that tracking app but noticed there was a drain from fully charged at night to about 82% by 10 next day but trying it out as cache was large and apps stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

This was driving me mad (Pixel 2 XL), knew it was related to the Covid app and was watching the % drop so fast. Glad it was a simple fix, cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

I deleted the Covid app. I emptied the cache on Google Play. I've woken up to an empty battery this morning. Up to Saturday, August 8, the battery would last at least one day. It's a Oneplus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    I deleted the Covid app. I emptied the cache on Google Play. I've woken up to an empty battery this morning. Up to Saturday, August 8, the battery would last at least one day. It's a Oneplus 7.

Make sure it’s Google Play services that you go into.

I cleared the cache and all data as well.

That sorted it for me. Left the Covid app as it was.

OnePlus 6T. Got 38 hours from 90% charge after doing that after having the battery drain problem previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Apparently 86000 people have deleted the Covid App... If so it seems Google have allot to answer for.

They have literally put lives at risk as well as the countries economy by their lack of quality ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That's not the issue, it's a well known global issue with the Covid app.

Source: have a fully up-to-date 3a.

So well known in fact that it has nothing to do with the COVID app, just Play Services

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Apparently 86000 people have deleted the Covid App... If so it seems Google have allot to answer for.

They have literally put lives at risk as well as the countries economy by their lack of quality ....

weak coding in the irish corona app.
    corona apps in other countries are not facing this issue - go figure who is at fault

So well known in fact that it has nothing to do with the COVID app, just Play Services

It is to do with the Covid app though rather than a particular phone as the post I replied to suggested. If you didn't have the Covid app installed then you don't have the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

d15ude wrote: »
    weak coding in the irish corona app.
    corona apps in other countries are not facing this issue - go figure who is at fault
    Phones in other countries are experienceing the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/i5yo2s/sudden_battery_issue_on_multiple_oneplus_models/

What other countries are mentioned in that thread?

Fixed now according to this Newstalk article.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.newstalk.com/news/almost-90000-people-delete-covid-tracker-app-battery-issue-1058390&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiT-d2LnZDrAhVgURUIHf7OBLwQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0wkN9XrwC569ewrtSRHOgT

What process does the government go through when picking the company do make this? Is it who you know kimd of job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That's a bad situation - it was the Covid app after all. 86,000 deletions of the app reported.

Glad it's fixed, but a complete shot in the foot at a time when we need absolute confidence in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Not sure if my problem is caused by the play/covid issues but over the last week or so my phone will say it has +50% battery and then randomly restarts and says battery empty. When I then plug it in it will say my batteries at 100% after only a few mins charging?

Or is the battery just wonky? Really don't fancy doing a factory reset on it! Its a Huawei Psmart 2019.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That's a bad situation - it was the Covid app after all. 86,000 deletions of the app reported.

Glad it's fixed, but a complete shot in the foot at a time when we need absolute confidence in the app.

I have no confidence that further updates will not cause problems.
    The app will remain uninstalled until I can get exact details on what happened, who was at fault and what will be done to ensure it does not happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

Clearing the cache of Google Play Services fixed it for me. Moto G5S.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Had the problem yesterday, cleared the cache ,deleted the covid app but that night google play services still said it was using 30% of battery in settings so I went to bed and hoped for the best . This morning everything seemed to be back to normal , google play services was back down to only using 1 or 2% battery , I even redownloaded the covid app with no recurrence of the drain .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This has been driving me mad past few days! I have cleared the cache and reinstalled the covid tracker, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Make sure you clear the data as well. Clearing the cache is not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

It seems to be enough for a lot who have posted here....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Battery was flat this morning (unusual). I just cleared the cache and now seems fine, still at 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

bidiots wrote: »
    It seems to be enough for a lot who have posted here....
    It made no difference on mine. I cleared the data today and now its back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All is back to normal on mine now, thankfully, that was a major cockup by Google and/or Covid tracker!

They still seems reluctant to explain what happened. As soon as this info is available I can consider reinstalling the app.

I use an android phone, I have no choice but to use google software to use this phone.
    If Google was at fault it changes nothing for me if I reinstall the COVID app.

If NearForm are at fault I will take into consideration what they did wrong before reinstalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It is enough

Advertisement