Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubisoft why cant they make a game right ?

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Over the last while Ubisoft have turned into a big let down in video games after the shocking game that was Watch dogs witch was not the game we where showed all them years ago at E3 to the new assassin's creed unity they just cant get a game right as all they can make it is 1/2 assed games. Assassin's creed unity in my eyes was made in less then 9 months by a huge team just making parts of the game and then hoping they all will glue in with each other. As Ubisoft didn't won't there money to be down for the year they just released it anyway and hoped people will buy it and just patch the crap out of it.

While watch dogs took a few months to add what should have been there since day 1 hacking other friends games. Why couldn't they do that at 1st after all the delays watch dogs had to start with.

Years ago when assassin's creed 3 game out that was also shocking trying to play that day 1 on the PS3 it just didn't work and it was like playing a early PS1 game at times when the distance did not load and so on and then they patched it and had it working after a few months and i was never assed to go back playing that game is it was bad in so many ways. The same with the Spin off on the PS vita that was also a poor game.

Fair cry 4 from my reading seems to have problems as well ?.

Or can we say games are rushed out way to fast to met deadlines in this day and age ?.

Sorry for the spellings before hand have dyslexia guys so go easy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because there's no incentive for them to. People have shown they'll buy whatever they put out regardless of the fact that it's broken, until people stop buying their games, they won't change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Child of Light and Rayman say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They can. They just might not, because in the case of the examples mentioned it's cheaper to do a half-assed job because people will buy it on hype regardless. They can then improve it afterwards (or not, depending on how well it does).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

rizzla wrote: »

To be far to Ubisoft outside of them have owned and played both and loved them Rayman on the PS vita is basically what the vita was made for. Every other game they have made has had countless Problems.

They are able to make 2.5D games perfect with there UbiArt Framework engine maybe they should try and make more games to the style of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

The suits at the top of the company only have a finite amount of time in charge, their trying to line their pockets and take gamers for everything their worth while they can. All we can hope is younger blood takes over who value the end user experience as much as their pay check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

rizzla wrote: »

I keep meaning to pick child of light up. Seems perfect for Vita from what I've seen.

Rahman is just a glorious platformer. I played it loads when I got my Wii U first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No problem with far cry 4 on Xbox one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All it takes are one or two mediocre releases, and out comes the hyperbole ;)

Have Ubisoft released some underwhelming games recently? Yes. Should Unity have been given a few extra months polish? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean the company is suddenly All That Is Wrong With the World. This year alone they've released some excellent titles - Valiant Hearts is a little gem, and have heard barely a bad word about Stick of Truth (which they published). Child Of Light I haven't played, but consensus seems to be it missed the mark in some respects but succeeded in others - at very least it's the kind of quirky, offbeat release we don't often get from big name publishers.

To their credit, Ubisoft have a long history of experimental and innovative titles. Their recent Rayman games are among the best platformers of the last decade and full of imagination. They have often released some of the more interesting new IPs - from Beyond Good and Evil to ZombiU. They've even proven themselves willing to experiment with existing franchises (eg the Prince of Persia games, even the flawed but intriguing reboot from a few years back - ditto Far Cry 2, or Blood Dragon). And their UbiArt engine is probably the best going at the moment.

Recently, they have one big problem: their open world 'house style' has grown stale and derivative. They have great concepts, but are full of filler and pointless 'stuff' at the cost of actually exploring the mechanics in an interesting way. This is almost uniform across their biggest franchises - Far Cry and Assassins Creed particularly. These retain some of the most interesting settings in gaming, but they need a radical remix in term of design.

Still, Unity (AC has always been a wildly uneven franchise from its inception anyway, so a weak entry is nothing new) and Watch Dogs (which as far as I can gather is merely underwhelmkng as opposed to legitimately broken) are not definitive proof Ubisoft is the worst company ever. They are missteps, and hopefully the bad press will lead to a change of attitude internally. Also worth noting Ubisoft is first and foremost a business, and the primary concern of the suits will be money. This isn't sinister, it's a simple truth. If they continue funding a lot of experimental and imaginative titles along with the AAA stuff, then at least they'll remain far from the worst of big name publishers. The suits also can't entirely be blamed for devolpers failing to fully realise their vision - perhaps in the case of games rushed to retail, but that's an excuse Watch Dogs particularly cannot convincingly use given it got an extended polish period.

And if they keep funding Beyond Good and Evil 2 until it's good and ready, there's only so much disdain I can muster up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Because there's no incentive for them to. People have shown they'll buy whatever they put out regardless of the fact that it's broken, until people stop buying their games, they won't change things.

Maybe because for a lot of people the games aren't broken? I've played all the AC game bar Rogue and not had any problems that I'd consider a 'game breaker'.

(Now, for me, Bethesda games are broken. I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion & the DLCs, when suddenly all animations stop (a known issue, the "A bomb") meaning you can't open any doors, use a lot of objects etc. so have to restart the game from scratch. Fallout 3, was fine for the first hundred hours or so then it began random freezing until it was unplayable, again the only solution was to start from the very beginning.)

My point - different people have different experiences, Ubisoft games sell well because a lot of people find them fun and don't have problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Every openworld game Ubi makes is full of checklist, collectathon, repetitiveness. The same thing with a different skin. There like games being pumped out of factory made by robots. Im not saying their games are completely terrible, its usually the openworld area itself thats the highlight, just filled with soulless mindnumbingly repetitive filler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No problem with far cry 4 on Xbox one.

I've completed it on PS4 without a hitch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I am unsure was there any ubisoft game that truly was amazing to me , if I think back the only games I thought were fantastic was assassin creed 2 and brotherhood and the far cry 3 blood dragon dlc

I did a thread for Rayman origin and spoke highly of it but when I finished it I thought was very bland but truly looked and sounded wonderful , I have not given Rayman legends a try yet but I somehow feel I do not want to.

I find ubisoft games to be very clunky especially the tom clancy games like ghost recon , rainbow six and splinter cells. Even assassin creed controls poor and not as fluid as other titles in similar genre.

But point of the thread , ubisoft do what all companies do , they show you a CGI trailer , people go OMG them graphics , game comes and you are given a different game all together.

But suckers be fooled , same goes for movie trailers aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I keep meaning to pick child of light up. Seems perfect for Vita from what I've seen.

Rahman is just a glorious platformer. I played it loads when I got my Wii U first.
    Just buy Child of Light.
    You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I thought Advanced Warfighter was pretty good...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've loved any game I've played by ubisoft this year, watch dogs, fc 4 ,I loved rainbow 6 Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I thought Advanced Warfighter was pretty good...

You are thinking of actavison here .... can't think of the last FPS made :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

You are thinking of actavison here .... can't think of the last FPS made :/

No they aren't. Activision made Advanced Warfare.

Advanced Warfighter is pretty old though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

There are also major concerns about the The Crew too.

Honestly at the rate they're going they are risking damaging the gaming industry and causing a crash like the early 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Honestly at the rate they're going they are risking damaging the gaming industry and causing a crash like the early 80's.

No chance, they are risking their own business or in particular certain series of games. Anybody with a bit of sense will steer clear of the next Assasin's Creed incarnation or even wait until a couple of months after release to see if it passes as a playable game.
    Gamers will just find something else, I got tired of COD a long time ago and switched to Battlefield, BF4 was a mess so that can f*ck off now too.
    The crash in the 80's was all down to one system that churned out a load of rubbish games, there was no alternative then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just buy Child of Light.
    You won't regret it.

I bought it and I regret it :pac:

Looks great but the constant rhyming and slower than slow combat system completely killed it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I bought it and I regret it :pac:

Looks great but the constant rhyming and slower than slow combat system completely killed it for me.

Yeah slow combat system kill RPGs and Child of Light is a big offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

I actually liked child of light combat, it is RGP-lite so to speak but I still had some difficult fights in it.
    As others have said Ubisoft haven't suddenly become everything that's wrong with gaming I love the farcry's and valiant hearts child of light, even watchdogs was decent (although it was was totally being advertised as something much much bigger & better)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I can't understand how they could F%^K assassins creed up..I mean it's exactly the same game year on year with different clothes and maps.

They managed to completely destroy Oleg Maddox's IL-2 series with Cliffs of Dover been forced to release months before it was ready, then abandoned it.

Silent Hunter 5 was another example of Ubisoft with their stupid DRM system of needing to be online at all times connected to their servers...for the first few weeks nobody could bloody connect to them !

Ghost Recon was another franchise they killed. "sob sob"

And don't get me started on uplay. After it was hacked for the second time I lost all my games and the trouble I had with their customer support deserved a lawsuit.

I actually refuse to buy a UBISOFT game now until at least a few months after release for the usual knock down price of a fiver. They only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ah I dunno, they're hardly the worst of the worst. and this console generation has been bad for the industry in general, what with Battlefield 4 , Driveclub, Master Chief Collection, littlebigplanet 3 all having bad starts.

I've had great times with Ubi Games

Rainbow 6 Vegas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

My main gripe with Ubisoft and their open-world strategy is I'm bloody sick of every game feeling like Assassin's Creed + X.

Go here. Unlock some of the world map. Unlock some features nearby...

It's utterly tiresome and I'd prefer if Ubisoft unlocked everything and focused on story and gameplay rather than tired mechanics to eek out a game's longevity. It's wearing thin with Watchdogs, Rogue, Unity, Far Cry and The Crew using the exact same system this year.

Advertisement