Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well ... I've just sworn off the drink

Options
  • 19-12-2007 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

"The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity."

There comes a time when you have to say 'enough is enough'. I'm (as of last night) finished with the drink. I'm 19 now, but have been drinking alot since 15-16 (down to hanging around with wasters) and don't even see the point in it anymore.

I should be in the best shape of my life mentally and physically by now - and to be honest, drinking excessively has held me back. I just scraped by on the Leaving Cert; was heading out nearly every night until a week before the exams. Ridiculous looking back on it - but, again, was down to the guys I hung about with. Not shifting the blame completely - but they were a big enough factor in it.

I've seen too many nights ruined, broken up countless fights and petty arguments outside pubs/clubs, been bottled and attacked for the same reason, had the stomach pumped three times, lost some friends, seen others become dependent on it after only 1 year in college ... the list goes on. I should have a lot saved by now, but any money I've earned up until now has been pissed away.

I'm in a good college course now and taking my sports and work seriously. Doing the boxing and rowing, hitting the gym fairly regularly, and I really don't need drink or drugs to enjoy a night out.

Just thought I'd post this for the record, and to get some feedback on how to keep it this way ... not going back on old habits etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

ThatGuy wrote: »
    "The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity."

There comes a time when you have to say 'enough is enough'. I'm (as of last night) finished with the drink. I'm 19 now, but have been drinking alot since 15-16 (down to hanging around with wasters) and don't even see the point in it anymore.

I should be in the best shape of my life mentally and physically by now - and to be honest, drinking excessively has held me back. I just scraped by on the Leaving Cert; was heading out nearly every night until a week before the exams. Ridiculous looking back on it - but, again, was down to the guys I hung about with. Not shifting the blame completely - but they were a big enough factor in it.

I've seen too many nights ruined, broken up countless fights and petty arguments outside pubs/clubs, been bottled and attacked for the same reason, had the stomach pumped three times, lost some friends, seen others become dependent on it after only 1 year in college ... the list goes on. I should have a lot saved by now, but any money I've earned up until now has been pissed away.

I'm in a good college course now and taking my sports and work seriously. Doing the boxing and rowing, hitting the gym fairly regularly, and I really don't need drink or drugs to enjoy a night out.

Just thought I'd post this for the record, and to get some feedback on how to keep it this way ... not going back on old habits etc.

This'll probably sound strange coming from a non-drinker, but I wouldn't be so dramatic about the whole thing. It's okay to have a drink once in a while...and you're only 19 so of course you've witnessed & experienced all of the crazy things that can happen to young people who are still only discovering alcohol and the dangers associated with it. You know why it's important to be a responsible drinker.

For most Irish people, a social life and drinking go hand in hand. If you're the kind of person who enjoys a sober night out with your drunken mates, then you should be fine. But if you're not like that and you're serious about not drinking, I would advise you to find plenty of non drinking social activities & people who will go to them with you...there's already a big list of suggestions on this forum...for example:

From user NonDrinkersClub:
    - paintballing (never been before but i'd say its mighty fun)
    - karting (this is brilliant when it's not raining)
    - gigs (so many comedy & music gigs around town)
    - ice-skating!!! the RDS will have a rink soon, and they'll have one in Booterstown
    - Funderland will be here soon beside the RDS
    - cinema (the IFI is good for weird films & Cineworld for everything & the convenience of an Eddie Rockets beside it)
    - meals out (so many places springing up in town)
    - quaser, pool & bowling (can be pricey but defo fun)
    - kayaking / surfing (maybe when the weather is a bit warmer! brrrr)
    - fun days at parks playin' a bit of football, eatin' sandwiches, or flying kites (girly, but hey, that would be hilarious)
    - the zoo! everyone likes the zoo
    - adventure bus (Ghost bus Tour, Irish Sightseeing like Newgrange)
    - cheap Ryanair holidays to European cities (Amsterdam is brilliant!)

I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best! Hopefully we'll see you at some upcoming non drinking events next year :) happy xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Correction there NonDrinkersClub....karting is even better in the rain! The slippery slidey feel of slick tyres on wet tarmac is class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

Haha! I'll take your word for it :) I remember crashing into a load of tyres and getting soaked. Good times. Haven't actually gone karting in years! We must organise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Good on you with giving up drink and doing well in college! (",)

Advertisement