Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 11 official release

• 08-09-2020 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Just in case anyone forgot it's out and downloading now, Pixel 4 XL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just in case anyone forgot it's out and downloading now, Pixel 4 XL.

Just got the notification, I actually completely forgot it was this time of year again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Fieldog wrote: »
    Just got the notification, I actually completely forgot it was this time of year again...

I think most people have at this stage. Now that it's mainly small incremental changes there's not much to get excited about.

Animations seem more polished which makes a nice difference to how snappy the phone feels. New power button options are handy for smart devices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I think most people have at this stage. Now that it's mainly small incremental changes there's not much to get excited about.

It's already a fully formed OS since Marshmellow, I'm only interested in small incremental changes and tidy-ups. What annoys me is that even though that's the case, there have been big pointless changes since then that don't really add anything to the experience. I hope that's not the case this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Got it today for my Pixel 2 XL. Love the quick toggles for Home Devices in the Power menu (already use this religiously for Google Pay) so its a welcome addition (and makes me want to get more bulbs). The new screenshot popup corner menu is nice too, esp. with the little preview. And finally, share is much better for usability; giving more options for each app (e.g share as a link or a direct message in Twitter).

I always have and forever will hate chat bubbles (too intrusive) so I've disabled those immediately (they are on by default). New notification list is good too (Conversations, Important and Silent), with an optional 24 hour history in case you swipe it away by mistake. Do No Disturb now lets you whitelist specific people, I will mess with this later (haven't needed my schedules since I'm WFH).

All in all, a great update so far!

N90ukxx.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll probably not be using chat bubbles either, but tried to get them working to see what they were like with no luck. Enabled them globally in Settings and then enabled them in WhatsApp and Messages but no little circle icon in the notification to tap on as mentioned in all the online articles I've found on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Would you lads normally do a factory reset after a major update?

I never normally do, haven't ran into any issues.

advertsfox wrote: »

All in all, a great update so far!

N90ukxx.png

I wish they'd left screenshot in the power menu.

Edit: managed to get screenshot via the recents menu. Wasn't showing for me, but changed my navigation to gesture and then back to 2-button and it was there. Not a fan of the two hardware buttons for screenshot.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Would you lads normally do a factory reset after a major update?

I used to back in the Nexus day's, I think these days it's a last resort type thing, Android as an OS has moved on a lot since then...

I have noticed one issue of jpgs not downloading anymore on chrome, more likely a chrome issue than the OS but interesting to see how long it takes to get sorted, not something I am hugely missing and there is ways around it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Xperia 5 ii is set to be announced later this month. I wonder if it'll get Android 11 on launch?

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    The Xperia 5 ii is set to be announced later this month. I wonder if it'll get Android 11 on launch?

It's not much of an update this time around to be fair, it could well have it if it is a flagship but Sony are usually worse than samsung with the whole waiting for updates thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Do bubbles/chat heads not work with alternative launchers?

corwill wrote: »
    Doesn't work at all on my Pixel 3 with the stock launcher.

Alun wrote: »
    Doesn't work at all on my Pixel 3 with the stock launcher.

What screen controls are you using?

Also - really annoyed by the disappearance of the screenshot option from the power button menu.

Also - really annoyed by the disappearance of the screenshot option from the power button menu.

Yeah, same. As mentioned above, you can get it from the recent apps screen, so it's still fairly easy to do one-handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Android 11 / EMUI 11 should be announced over the next 3 days at the Huawei Developer conference.

https://www.huaweicentral.com/hdc-2020-emui-11-harmonyos-2-0-hms-core-5-5g-and-more-full-schedule-and-details/

Will still take a while to trickle down to the phones. Android 10 came out in November/December last year in Europe.

Not sure what you mean there.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, same. As mentioned above, you can get it from the recent apps screen, so it's still fairly easy to do one-handed.

Ah, got it now. Seems like a change for change's sake, but beats power plus volume down.

Alun wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean there.

Sorry, I should have said 'System navigation' - gestures, 2 button or 3 button? I just wondered if that's a factor.

Sorry, I should have said 'System navigation' - gestures, 2 button or 3 button? I just wondered if that's a factor.

2 button, not sure why that should matter though.

• Advertisement

Bubbles weren't there as an option in my messages app yesterday, but today the option is there to turn them on.

I prefer the new screen shot set up, much easier one handed and frees up space in the new power menu.

Bubbles weren't there as an option in my messages app yesterday, but today the option is there to turn them on.

I'm not the only one wondering where the Chat-heads/Bubbles/whatevs are - https://www.gsmarena.com/android_11-review-2165p2.php

I joined the beta program for the messages app, and they appeared.

Anyone getting a slightly odd display issue since the update? Sometimes half the screen looks like it's a little less colourful, there's a line down the centre of the screen. It flickers between normal and less colourful for a second or so and then returns to normal. It's most noticable in WhatsApp with the dark green at the top of the screen. Might only happen every second day and I can't make it reoccur.

I wish they'd left screenshot in the power menu.

Edit: managed to get screenshot via the recents menu. Wasn't showing for me, but changed my navigation to gesture and then back to 2-button and it was there. Not a fan of the two hardware buttons for screenshot.

It's a PITA having to use 2 hands now, can I ask what you mean by the 'recents menu'? Are you talking about the menu that appears when you swipe up (on the 2-button navigation)?

If yes, then the route to get it would be: change to gesture navigation, navigate to screenshot mode, reset back to 2-button navigation, swipe up and scroll to screenshot mode........correct?

Edit: Got it working......when you're using the 2-button method, if you swipe up and hold your finger on the screen for a second there's an option in the bottom left to screenshot whichever window you're on. Absolutely baffles me why they would change it from the 'hold power button' method in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

When a new release comes out, I play around with it for 30 mins and then forget about it...

Advertisement