Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover data from a Samsung 8 with broken screen

Options
  • 15-09-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

What would be the best approach to recover data from a Samsung Galaxy 8 with a broken screen. The phone was dropped and the screen is completely unresponsive. Most software out there requires the screen to be unlocked and/or USB debugging to be enabled but as it's not possible to open the phone via the screen, well...
    Using the ADB method is also not an option, again, due to the USB debugging not being enabled.

The phone belongs to my father in law and I'm sure he has a Gmail account, but he can't remember his username and password which is a shame, cos most of the account data might be recoverable from his Google account.

He's looking to get his messages, contacts, photos, and whatsapp recovered. What would be the best approach? I'm thinking getting the screen replaced but that looks like a 250 euro job. I checked ifixit and there's no way I would be technical enough to do it.

Comments

Can he unlock it from here? https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

Sadly not as it was never registered with Samsung. And if it was he would likely not remember the login details.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Thanks, didn't know you could unlock the phone using this. Smashed my S8 a few months ago and can't get past the lock screen. Will give this a go.

matzen wrote: »
    Sadly not as it was never registered with Samsung. And if it was he would likely not remember the login details.

You say the issue is that the screen is unresponsive, so the screen still turns on is that right? If so, connect a USB mouse to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Without knowing the Google details getting the screen fixed it might be the only option for recovering data.
    He could try going to

contacts.google.com
    photos.google.com

If he had previously been signed into Google on a pc he might still be able to access them.
    Whatsapp would need to have been set to save to Google Drive in the settings and set to regularly back up. If not, they won't be saved.

• Advertisement

You say the issue is that the screen is unresponsive, so the screen still turns on is that right? If so, connect a USB mouse to the phone.

Ok, how would that work exactly? Where would you see the mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ok, how would that work exactly? Where would you see the mouse?

If the phone has on-the-go functionality, you connect the mouse to the USB port (might need an OTG adaptor, about 5€) Then the mouse functions just like a finger - swipe, tap/click, etc. That's it. No extra software or apps needed.

If the phone has on-the-go functionality, you connect the mouse to the USB port (might need an OTG adaptor, about 5€) Then the mouse functions just like a finger - swipe, tap/click, etc. That's it. No extra software or apps needed.

I have an adapter and a USB mouse but since the screen is totally unresponsive I won't be able to see where the mouse cursor is, unfortunately.

I have an adapter and a USB mouse but since the screen is totally unresponsive I won't be able to see where the mouse cursor is, unfortunately.

So when you say unresponsive, you mean the screen doesn't turn on rather than it being only unresponsive?

So when you say unresponsive, you mean the screen doesn't turn on rather than it being only unresponsive?

It turns on but is unresponsive. Sliding up/down/sideways does nothing.

• Advertisement

It turns on but is unresponsive. Sliding up/down/sideways does nothing.

So why would you not be able to see where the mouse cursor is? I'm a bit confused.

So why would you not be able to see where the mouse cursor is? I'm a bit confused.

A mouse cursor doesn't show on the screen when connecting a usb mouse to the phone. Clicking on the power button lights up the screen and I can see a snippet of the notifications but can't log into the phone as no swiping is recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

A mouse had always worked for me in this situation. Is it a basic USB mouse and no some gaming one which might draw too much power or need drivers?

You could try a Samsung Dex station, which has USB-C breakout for mouse and screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

A mouse cursor doesn't show on the screen when connecting a usb mouse to the phone. Clicking on the power button lights up the screen and I can see a snippet of the notifications but can't log into the phone as no swiping is recognised.

A quick google suggests that there would have been an OTG adaptor in the s8's box. You need to find that. ;)

Yeah, I think the OTG cable is wired differently to a standard USB adapter, so you need to find one that came with the phone, or buy/borrow another.

Although, I'm not sure where else you would used a standard female USB - USB C Adaptor cable, if not for OTG.

A mouse had always worked for me in this situation. Is it a basic USB mouse and no some gaming one which might draw too much power or need drivers?

You could try a Samsung Dex station, which has USB-C breakout for mouse and screen.

It's a basic Logitech mouse so should work.

Are you using the adaptor that came with the phone or a different one? If you don't know the name of it take a photo of the adaptor you're using and post it here.

Are you using either of the below setups?

1) Phone / USB-C to Micro USB / Micro USB to USB-A / Mouse

2) Phone / USB-C to USB-A / Mouse

I think I tried to used the first combo in the past and it wouldn't work. I don't have the adapters on me so can't try it here.

Got it working using the adapter that came with the Galaxy 8. Actually didn't think he'd still have it but luckily he never throws boxes out. Many thanks to everyone for your help!!

Glad to hear it! Out of interest, what cable/connectors were you using up to that point?

• Advertisement

A generic adapter I use for a MacBook Pro that only has usb-c connections.

Advertisement