Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old bands new frontmen

Options
  • 14-02-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭

Its interesting looking at tours in America and still seeing some old bands touring but with new frontmen. Some bands obviously need it due to death/retirement etc

Journey
    Foreigner
    Warrant
    Quite Riot
    Survivor
    Reo Speedwagon
    Skid Row (sebastian Bach seems a prick anyway)

Anymore ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

You can throw in Queen, The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac too.

It would be easier to make a list of bands who still have all original members, wouldn't be a very long list I suspect!!

I know nostalgia sells tickets but can never understand how bands, with maybe one or two original members, still manage to charge top buck for concerts. They are essentially a 'cover band' as Lindsay Buckingham refers to the current incarnation of the Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Kevin Cronin is not quite new with Reo Speedwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

rednik wrote: »
    Kevin Cronin is not quite new with Reo Speedwagon.

My bad think I got mixed up with another band of that era.

The guy who fronted Dragonforce is now the singer of Skid Row

Blink 182 have the guy from alkaline trio as there frontman now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Could of temporarily included AC/DC with Axl taking vocal duties for a while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Iron maiden given that Bruce wasn't original and then left before coming back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Could of temporarily included AC/DC with Axl taking vocal duties for a while there.

Or just included AC/DC in general considering Brian is not the original lead singer!

/Pedant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

Can be good, but can also be really lame. It depends on how long the band has been going when time comes to replace the singer and what the age difference is. For example, I could get on board with Queen + Paul Rodgers as both sides have a pedigree. I could not get on board with Queen + Adam Lambert as it just comes off as X Factor diva uses aging rockers to boost profile. Once a band becomes established as a certain set of members it really becomes quite hard to accept anyone else.

briany wrote: »
    Can be good, but can also be really lame. It depends on how long the band has been going when time comes to replace the singer and what the age difference is. For example, I could get on board with Queen + Paul Rodgers as both sides have a pedigree. I could not get on board with Queen + Adam Lambert as it just comes off as X Factor diva uses aging rockers to boost profile. Once a band becomes established as a certain set of members it really becomes quite hard to accept anyone else.

Theres also the bands who have 2 separate touring lineups

Yes
    Sweet
    Judas Priest and KKs priest

Theres prob more I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Iced earth pulled it off fairly well with 3 vocalists who all seem to be accepted by the fan base in there own right, helps that all three were incredibly talented though to be fair and done the songs justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Fish has left Marillion, apparently....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭VanHalen

What about Toto? They had a revolving door of vocalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The bands listed hardly have new frontmen Kelly Hansen is with Foreigner about 15 years,Journey fella almost the same. Skid Row Bachless for almost 20 years. Like ya say about death well Warrants original singer actually died around 10 years ago,Survivors original singer has been fired and rehired throughout a career that is largely based on him being the voice on the big hit. Boston also had their singer die in the late 00's and have ploughed on since.

The bands listed hardly have new frontmen Kelly Hansen is with Foreigner about 15 years,Journey fella almost the same. Skid Row Bachless for almost 20 years. Like ya say about death well Warrants original singer actually died around 10 years ago,Survivors original singer has been fired and rehired throughout a career that is largely based on him being the voice on the big hit. Boston also had their singer die in the late 00's and have ploughed on since.

survivor had a guy from Meath as there frontman for a while didnt they ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    survivor had a guy from Meath as there frontman for a while didnt they ??

Robin McAuley, from about 2006 to 2011. He never recorded with them, though (hardly surprising since they've only released one album in the last 32 years, Boston have released three in the same period!) and he's probably best known for his time with Michael Schenker as the McAuley Schenker Group

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Faith No More
    Alice in Chains
    Deep Purple
    Dream Theater
    Napalm Death
    Iron Maiden
    Rainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Iron maiden given that Bruce wasn't original and then left before coming back

But Paul Di’anno isn’t the original singer either.
    At what point in time do you claim “that’s the original lineup”? Debut album? EP etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Blazer wrote: »
    But Paul Di’anno isn’t the original singer either.
    At what point in time do you claim “that’s the original lineup”? Debut album? EP etc?

Same with AC/DC. Bon wasn't their original singer. I know Dave Evans sang on the first single but there may have been someone even before him.

Advertisement