Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland and the rest of Europe take in more migrants based in Turkey?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

At least the migrants coming into Greece are generally refugees, unlike the ones landing in Italy who are virtually all economic migrants.

Migration isn't a long term solution to Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan though.

Erdogan should be ganged up on by the international community. His weaponization of refugees, his proxy wars, his belligerence in relation to all his neighbors makes him a menace. He shouldn't be deposed (even though he is virtually a despot at this stage) but it should be made clear to him that his NATO membership will be in jeopardy if he wants to keep sending troops into Syria to prop up Al Qaeda rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This shows just how stupid the whole thing is, 700 million being wasted now on a border instead of using the money to make people's lives better in the first place. People were left in squalor in massive camps to rot away and now we spend the money on fences and thugs

Same **** in Afghanistan and Iraq, billions and billions available to spend on the war machine but a pittance for actually addressing the poverty and problems of the people

The EU gives about €50b per annum in foreign aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Let them all in....we be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

After loosing the UK in 2016, the EU don't want a repeat with Greece and/or Italy bolting (nevermind the V4), even lePen has a very strong chance to win in France.

They've made the right choice this time (so far), and decided to protect their borders, of which Turkey is simply using as a bargining chip.
    Many aren't even from Syria as you'd expect. Instead it's W.Africa, Pakistan, Afgans etc taking up resources that were sent to help Syrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I believe 6k people signed up a few years back to "give a refugee your spare room" or something to that effect. I would contact these individuals and give them the chance to make good on their promise.
    It may just have been that Lily Allen (celeb or something) using multiple aliases.

Shortly after agreeing to something similar (taking folks in) to her fancy £1m+ flat over in W.Ldn (likely with a spare room or five). She was 'assisted' (carried) out of a nightclub for selfish over-indulgence, and had no memory of any previous broadcasted promise to take anyone in.

She's very keen on recreational activities indeed (just don't ask about the pain and suffering endured by those, who produce such powders, for her entertainment).
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6286912/lily-allen-ketamine-awards-ceremony-slammed/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No way! We need to support Greece and keep the horde out also Economic sanctions against Turkey,. To the tune of 6 Billion Euros or whatever we gave them!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I believe 6k people signed up a few years back to "give a refugee your spare room" or something to that effect. I would contact these individuals and give them the chance to make good on their promise.

I personally know of two households that have done precisely that. So I’d say a fair few of those people came good.

After loosing the UK in 2016, the EU don't want a repeat with Greece and/or Italy bolting (nevermind the V4), even lePen has a very strong chance to win in France.

There’s no party with a policy of leaving the EU in any of those countries with a prospect of winning an election. LePen’s manifesto is one of remaining within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

alastair wrote: »
    I personally know of two households that have done precisely that. So I’d say a fair few of those people came good.

Bollox,

Oh dear oh dear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

walshb wrote: »
    Let them all in....we be grand!

Absolutely....women & children first ?

https://static.euronews.com/articles/stories/04/54/19/74/808x539_cmsv2_108609af-d877-58e1-8c26-bc39f954d2bd-4541974.jpg

https://www.vocaleurope.eu/wp-content/uploads/kos-greece-island-refugees-migrants.jpg

https://greece.greekreporter.com/files/refugees_evros2.jpg

When combined with the Covid-19 situation,it seems as if Mr Erdogan has decided to get stuck into Turkey's ould enemy for real.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

road_high wrote: »
    A lot of these so called migrants are Africans, not even from the directly effected war zones. It’s not sustainable for Europe to take in any of these and we must seal the borders completely and keep sending them all back

Do you think that the refugees coming from Turkey into Greece are from African countries?
    Really?

Gatling wrote: »
    Bollox,

Oh dear oh dear

Nope. Two Syrians. Arranged via the Red Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Take them all in and house in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bubblypop wrote: »
    Do you think that the refugees coming from Turkey into Greece are from African countries?
    Really?

At least some are beginning to ask the questions....

But Mr Weber said the focus should not be on leading EU figureheads posing for pictures with Miss Thunberg, but for a need to solve the escalating migrant crisis.

greta thunberg eu
    EU bosses have been told not to pose with Greta Thunberg and focus on helping Greece (https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/greta-thunberg-eu-1249830.webp?r=1583175642597 )

greta thunberg eu speech
    Greta Thunberg will attend a meeting of the European Parliament’s environment committee ( https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/secondary/greta-thunberg-eu-speech-2341848.jpg?r=1583175642643 )

He added: “When the EU Commission meets this week, the focus should not be on the pictures of Frans Timmermans with Greta Thunberg, but on the concerns of millions of Europeans about the protection of our external border.”

Good Man,Manfred.....bit of sense there for sure :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

bubblypop wrote: »
    Really?
    Not all, but according to the BBC report last night on the telly box - where they went round and tried to interview as many (of the young single men) as possible, they were very hard pressed to find a Syrian until the end of their interview.

They even mentioned a group of West Africans, which is rather a bif of a jaunt to get to Western Europe. Namechecks also went to Pak/Afgan and African states.

Not all, but according to the BBC report last night on the telly box - where they went round and tried to interview as many (of the young single men) as possible, they were very hard pressed to find a Syrian until the end of their interview.

They even mentioned a group of West Africans, which is rather a bif of a jaunt to get to Western Europe. Namechecks also went to Pak/Afgan and African states.

Most of the refugees in Lesvos are Afghan - about three quarters. Of the rest, about half are Syrian, and the rest are African (mostly Somali, but others countries too), Pakistani, and a few other places. I’d imagine the people trying to get across now are about the same.

Most of the refugees in Lesvos are Afghan - about three quarters. Of the rest, about half are Syrian, and the rest are African (mostly Somali, but others countries too), Pakistani, and a few other places. I’d imagine the people trying to get across now are about the same.
    Imagination is very similar to pure guesswork.

The BBC's factual report certainly didn't show or indicate anything like 50% Syrians.
    They even namechecked Bangladesh.

It did show Turkey behaving very poorly, trucking in groups, telling them all the gates to the EU are now wide open.
    Then shouting to the Greeks (without consultation) to open the gates.

The BBC's factual report certainly didn't show or indicate anything like 50% Syrians.

It did show Turkey behaving very poorly, trucking in groups, telling them all the gates to the EU are now wide open.

Given that the people in Lesvos came from the same place only recently, it’s not exactly stretching the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

But why would turkey give up all those doctors, engineers and scientists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Good to know. Hopefully more put their hands up and take refugees into their spare room .

How much does the government give them?

Good to know. Hopefully more put their hands up and take refugees into their spare room .

How much does the government give them?

The householders? They get nothing. Not in the instances I know of anyway.

I had a look - there’s the option for HAP rent-a-room payments, but it’s not a given. https://registerofpledges.redcross.ie/#/pledging/room

And for the ‘doctors and engineers’ cynics, one of the Syrians is a qualified (in Syria) dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This shows just how stupid the whole thing is, 700 million being wasted now on a border instead of using the money to make people's lives better in the first place. People were left in squalor in massive camps to rot away and now we spend the money on fences and thugs

Same **** in Afghanistan and Iraq, billions and billions available to spend on the war machine but a pittance for actually addressing the poverty and problems of the people

Money spent on securing the border is money well spent, fair play to the Greeks for holding the line and keeping them out.

They have swarmed the island of Lesbos like locusts, the local people have had enough and are not going to take it any more.

Can't blame them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm a selfish **** and enjoy my hard-fought standard of living, I believe that mass migration into Europe will inevitably lead to a reduction in workers rights and social services.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Claire Daly on Sean O'Rourke this morning thinks the migrant issue is Europe's responsibility and Ireland as a country needs to do more.
    Personally I don't get how its the EU's responsibility. But its a complicated issue. Discuss.

No.

Ireland has 10,000 people categorised as homeless already, we have a national housing crisis with rents higher than ever, 6000 properties in dublin alone are used illegally as AirBnB residences .... only when all of these issues are resolved can we even begin to contemplate taking in even more refugees and or economic migrants than we have over the last 20 years. Ultimately quality of life and opportunity in the countries where these people are coming from must be enhanced to incentivise them to remain at home. This is a task for multiple governments, the UN and the IMF to resolve. Constantly asking Europe to take in migrants is placing a bandaid over a gaping wound and creating so many other problems further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The householders? They get nothing. Not in the instances I know of anyway.

I had a look - there’s the option for HAP rent-a-room payments, but it’s not a given. https://registerofpledges.redcross.ie/#/pledging/room

And for the ‘doctors and engineers’ cynics, one of the Syrians is a qualified (in Syria) dentist.

out of the thousands who got on a boat, id absolutely believe 1 is.

https://www.iwkoeln.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Studien/Report/PDF/2017/IW-Report_2017_37_Education_Levels_of_Refugees.pdf

35% completed secondary school,
    12% completed university.
    theres twice as many showing up with no or a primary school education than completed university or a vocational qualification.

coming from somalia, 88% of them never even made it to upper secondry school. 88% of somalian refugees have less than a junior cert going on.

despite being offered them, only 7% of male and 3% of female 'refugees' took up the offer of vocational training. Only 27% of men and 17% of women took up 'other education' (the vast majority being language school)

so in general its 35% of them completing secondry school before arriving and only 27% of the men taking up even learning a language when they get to europe.

Great stats there...
    Also just to add, Iran is seriously improving those numbers, it really upsets the model and without them being part of the makeup of germany's intake of refugees, we're down to single digit percentiles of those who have even set foot in a post secondary school educational institute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Claire Daly on Sean O'Rourke this morning thinks the migrant issue is Europe's responsibility and Ireland as a country needs to do more.
    Personally I don't get how its the EU's responsibility. But its a complicated issue. Discuss.

While Irish folk are homeless and die on the street eh?
    She offering to house them?.

Claire Daly is some haggard looking witch. Looks like Death warmed up. Think with all that money could afford some shampoo at least.

In a weird way I am impressed with her manipulation of her stupid supporters.

Shes one ruthless woman!.

Never ever ever stops going on and on and on about the elites and the troika and capitalism etc etc etc to the dole heads who idolize her when she is an elite herself on a massive salary and even has a assistant Mick Wallaces Son!.

Nepotism at its worst.
    Cronyism at its absolute worst; and yet and YET people signing on in places like Blanchardstown support her despite her cronyism despite her salary and despite her being a harlot for moneybags degenerate Mick Wallace (he obviously made the decision his lad get that assistant job)

So much for female empowerment eh. ; )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

While Irish folk are homeless and die on the street eh?
    She offering to house them?.

Claire Daly is some haggard looking witch. Looks like Death warmed up. Think with all that money could afford some shampoo at least.

In a weird way I am impressed with her manipulation of her stupid supporters.

Shes one ruthless woman!.

Never ever ever stops going on and on and on about the elites and the troika and capitalism etc etc etc to the dole heads who idolize her when she is an elite herself on a massive salary and even has a assistant Mick Wallaces Son!.

Nepotism at its worst.
    Cronyism at its absolute worst; and yet and YET people signing on in places like Blanchardstown support her despite her cronyism despite her salary and despite her being a harlot for moneybags degenerate Mick Wallace (he obviously made the decision his lad get that assistant job)

So much for female empowerment eh. ; )

And no one will ever call her out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Have you any idea of how many active conflict zones are currently ongoing in Africa?
    Boko Haram, Central African Republic, Burundi coup, congo, Libya, sudan, Somalia, Mali off the top of my head.

I don’t care. We can’t afford to take them all in let alone the massive cultural chasms that exist. We can provide aid as appropriate but coming to live here. Forget about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Money spent on securing the border is money well spent, fair play to the Greeks for holding the line and keeping them out.

They have swarmed the island of Lesbos like locusts, the local people have had enough and are not going to take it any more.

Can't blame them either.

We must do everything possible to support Greece and its EU neighbours to keep these migrants out. None of that Merkel Led let them in ****e of 2016. That was a disastrous mistake

Advertisement