Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-05-2020, 16:34   #1
kincaid

idiots who think they own the road in their lorries

a close relation of mine in her early 70's was in her yaris yesterday coming from shopping and pulled out from a junction and approaching the 30mph zone up ahead when an arctic truck come up behind her and was right up on her bumper, he actually increased his speed to get up on her tail, swinging in left and then right and tight up behind her, she was really scared, was northern reg, she did not get the full reg and really frightened her that she does not want to go out driving now asking us to pick up some things from the shop from her.
A proper cu*t this guy was and I would take the head clean off his shoulders if I had got hold of him,
Advertisement
26-05-2020, 16:35   #2
Wildly Boaring

mph - so 2004
(2) thanks from:
26-05-2020, 16:36   #3
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincaid View Post
a close relation of mine in her early 70's was in her yaris yesterday coming from shopping and pulled out from a junction and approaching the 30mph zone up ahead when an arctic truck come up behind her and was right up on her bumper, he actually increased his speed to get up on her tail, swinging in left and then right and tight up behind her, she was really scared, was northern reg, she did not get the full reg and really frightened her that she does not want to go out driving now asking us to pick up some things from the shop from her.
A proper cu*t this guy was and I would take the head clean off his shoulders if I had got hold of him,
What exactly did he do that is illegal?
26-05-2020, 16:40   #4
Witcher

Kincaid's been putting in the rounds

26-05-2020, 16:44   #5
SEPT 23 1989

sounds like he jammed on trying not to go through the back of her

did she not see the truck when she pulled out?
Advertisement
26-05-2020, 16:44   #6
bucketybuck

I was driving around the M50 today, coming towards the Dundrum exit southbound. I was in the middle lane doing about 105kph passing an Artic in the inner lane.

Saw an older woman in a SUV sitting on the hard shoulder just ahead. She put the indicator on and inched forward, stopped, then the stupid ****ing bitch pulled right out in front of the Artic. I had to swerve right to give the Artic somewhere to go, we are all blessed that there wasn't anybody coming past us in the overtaking lane at the time.

You say the big bad truck sped up to catch the old dear in the OP? Yeah, sure. Trucks with their speed limiters are notorious for catching up to people all right. Why not be honest, the old woman pulled out from the junction in front of the truck without giving enough room and then toddled along well below the speed limit and acting like a rolling roadblock. OP should save the hard man act I suspect.
26-05-2020, 17:31   #7
biko
Arbiter

That sucks OP, hope she feel better about it soon.
Bet the lorry driver wouldn't have been a douche if it was a Mercedes in front of him instead of a Yaris.

Last edited by biko; 27-05-2020 at 10:57.
26-05-2020, 23:23   #8
DanielODonnell
Banned

Southern cars often act arrogantly in my land too, overtaking you when you are already driving over the speed limit. I always curse them as I know northern people are always getting abused in south so they deserve it. "Who does this southerner think he is" is what usually comes out or "donegal clown" or "what's a Cork car doing here"

Last edited by DanielODonnell; 26-05-2020 at 23:29.
26-05-2020, 23:49   #9
DMcL1971

In my experience truck and lorry drivers are some of the best out there. They drive for a living and have to be far more aware of what’s around them to avoid hitting anything. They can’t accelerate as fast or stop as quickly so are far more aware of their speeds. I’d rather be behind a truck than a 70 year old any day.
Advertisement
27-05-2020, 00:04   #10
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincaid View Post

Sounds like your relation got a fright when she realised she didn’t own the road herself tbh.

Some people don’t realise that the onus is on them to be aware that there are other people who use the roads besides themselves, and there are idiots of every description commandeering all sorts of vehicles and bikes and pedestrians.

The idea of a lorry driver speeding up to bumper check a car? Why would they? Does that honestly make any sense to you? From their higher vantage point they have a better overview of the roads than drivers in cars for a start, and they aren’t likely to risk their insurance and put their livelihood in jeopardy just to put the wind up a Yaris driver
27-05-2020, 00:43   #11
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I was driving around the M50 today, coming towards the Dundrum exit southbound. I was in the middle lane doing about 105kph passing an Artic in the inner lane.

Saw an older woman in a SUV sitting on the hard shoulder just ahead. She put the indicator on and inched forward, stopped, then the stupid ****ing bitch pulled right out in front of the Artic. I had to swerve right to give the Artic somewhere to go, we are all blessed that there wasn't anybody coming past us in the overtaking lane at the time.

You say the big bad truck sped up to catch the old dear in the OP? Yeah, sure. Trucks with their speed limiters are notorious for catching up to people all right. Why not be honest, the old woman pulled out from the junction in front of the truck without giving enough room and then toddled along well below the speed limit and acting like a rolling roadblock. OP should save the hard man act I suspect.
Plenty of trucks out there with limiters disabled. With a light load, they can get quite a bit of speed.
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 00:45   #12
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
Sounds like your relation got a fright when she realised she didn’t own the road herself tbh.

Some people don’t realise that the onus is on them to be aware that there are other people who use the roads besides themselves, and there are idiots of every description commandeering all sorts of vehicles and bikes and pedestrians.

The idea of a lorry driver speeding up to bumper check a car? Why would they? Does that honestly make any sense to you? From their higher vantage point they have a better overview of the roads than drivers in cars for a start, and they aren’t likely to risk their insurance and put their livelihood in jeopardy just to put the wind up a Yaris driver
I've had trucks get up close to the back of me. Why they do it, dunno, i cant talk to'em.
27-05-2020, 00:52   #13
Mr Meanor

The HGV transport industry is highly regulated, the drivers have to obey many rules, carry numerous expensive certifications and carry the burden of personal responsibility to the Gardai and courts for their companies vehicle road worthiness, their delivery and time policies and are in the main very poorly paid for what should be a lucrative career.

Many professional drivers have left the industry.
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2020, 00:55   #14

Beware of getting rear entry.
27-05-2020, 01:04   #15
endacl

Order one of these for her, OP.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text