Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

17-08-2011, 00:40   #76

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.

It's actually a great black comedy if you give it the chance.
Advertisement
17-08-2011, 01:02   #77

Read a couple lately that stood out - The Feather Merchants, by Max Schulman. Humourous satire.

Rich in Russia, John Updike. Brilliantly dry and witty.

Currently reading English Passengers, by Matthew Kneale. Not sure what to make of it just yet. Voluminous in content, 500 pages or so - I tend to try to keep it a little shorter than that (a lot shorter, in fact).

Some short stories on the bedside table by Alan Sillitoe. Some good stuff in there to pick and choose from. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning brought me to find out more about this fella.
17-08-2011, 01:08   #78
Banned

"Norwegian Wood" Haruki Murakami

(love this website by the way : http://www.randomhouse.com/features/murakami/site.php )
Thanks from:
17-08-2011, 01:21   #79
starviewadams

''Depression and how to survive it'' by Prof.Anthony Clare and Spike Milligan.

Shrink recommended it.
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2011, 01:46   #80
buyer95

1984 George Orwell
Advertisement
17-08-2011, 02:39   #81
ferretone

"The Philip K. Dick Collection", published by the Library of America. That's probably cheating, as it's 3 books in a hardback boxed set, encompassing 13 novels in all! It's very intriguing reading, though.

It isn't cheap, but the quality is truly excellent and sure to last. I hate when books fall apart after a couple readings: I do still love papery books as opposed to electronic ones, but I also love to leaf back and recheck things in a book again and again. Thin paper also means they aren't too massive, which I really like, as I like a book I can bring along and read anywhere.

And they do give a lot of widely-varied and thought-provoking reading. They fall into the science fiction genre, but like much of Asimov, they are more about social architecture and analysis of the human condition, although they go a lot deeper than Asimov into this study, and less into the science. (Me, I love both!)

Would highly recommend this set for anyone who has interest in both science and the human condition, and who doesn't mind a book being a little outdated sometimes in the interest of intriguing subject matter and a very different take on reality.
17-08-2011, 07:22   #82
SheFiend

Interestin! Thanks for the tip, Ferretone!
17-08-2011, 08:10   #83
jimthemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidusername View Post
I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?
Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden it's about Pablo Escobar.

I'm nearly done reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes. There's probably less in the bible. Very good in places but the novels lack a bit compared to the brilliant short stories.
17-08-2011, 08:24   #84

No Time To Say Goodbye --- Carla Fine.
Advertisement
17-08-2011, 08:31   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazDanz View Post
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis.

It's actually a great black comedy if you give it the chance.
I'd agree, but some bits in it made me want to throw it out of my window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermighty View Post
Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Makes 'The Road' look like the Teddy Bears picnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeroo View Post
Ah that's a great book. You reading the Omnibus one with Fall of Hyperion included? I've read the first half of the follow up Endymion, it's really good too, still haven't gotten around to Rise of Endymion yet, might have to re-read Endymion first since it's been so long.

Just reading the regular novel, half way through 'The Poet's Tale', I'd imagine I'll be reading the sequels at some stage though.
17-08-2011, 08:38   #86
bluewolf
Category Moderator

middlemarch, dance with dragons

keeping it down to 2 at the moment
17-08-2011, 08:57   #87
Tipsy McSwagger

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Took a while to get into it but that is a common thing with SK as he likes to set up a lot of background and information. Recently finished his Dark Tower series and absolutely loved it, plus it has the best opening line in the history of books.
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2011, 09:02   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidusername View Post
I'm on If I Did It - OJ Simpsons confession book, i'm not into it much though, so might just skip it. would like any recommendations for true crime if anyone has any?
The best true crime book I read recently, and which kept me gripped from start to finish was 'Black Mass'. The story of the corrupt relationship between the Boston mob and an FBI agent. Very much back in the news now as Whitey Bulger was recently captured. And obviously it has the Irish connection. A really excellent read
17-08-2011, 09:14   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by py2006 View Post
and would ya recommend it?

I'm reading 'Full Dark, No Stars' by Stephen King!

Just started so can't really say I can recommend it just yet!

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King!
I love Stephen King, although i haven't read any in a while, let us know what 'Full Dark, No Stars' is like when you get through. Love James Herbert too, Domain is best one of his i've read.
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2011, 09:20   #90
Miri5

The Help by Kathryn Stockett, only started it yesterday but think it's brill so far
Thread Closed