Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the use?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc:
    you realy seem to me not to care at all that you are Irish.</font>
    Please don't make assumptions like that based on my posts, I mightn't care in the same ways as you do, but it doesn't mean I don't care.
    All I'm looking for are reasons/explanations of why we as a nation feel the need to hang on to a language that remains unspoken by the vast majority of the populace?
    Does it make sense to force generation after generation to learn the language - when they're not going to use it?
    I look around and all I see are Irish people speaking English... surely they've abandoned their heritage?
    I'm proud of our history, and everything that being Irish stands for (even the reputation for drinking biggrin.gif), the only thing that gets on my tìts is ; why do so many people hang onto the past?

Does the decline of our so called 'national language' really mean selling out our heritage?
    Do we really need the Irish language to define us as a nation?

I'd have no questions of keeping the Irish language if we were like France/Germany/Spain etc, and our national language 'first' language, but when so many people are finishing school with only very basic Irish (ie. couldn't hold a conversation), what's the point?

I'm not having a go at our country or our heritage, I just wonder what value other people place on our language.
    I'd like to love our language, but I just don't know how.
    I've spent so many years learning the language, and so many years not speaking it, that I wonder if hanging onto it is futile.

I have to agree with a lot of the posters here - the way Irish is taught in schools is totally backwards, which ironically may just be the cause of its downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I already made that point numerous times santa about gaeilge being mistook for our heritage.
    IMO, its history rather than heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    I already made that point numerous times santa about gaeilge being mistook for our heritage.
    </font>
    Isn't it nice that we agree.
    Sorry if I stepped on your toes whitey, I just felt the need to clarify there, since the thread was veering slightly off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    Originally posted by WhiteLancer:

Isn't it nice that we agree.
    Sorry if I stepped on your toes whitey, I just felt the need to clarify there, since the thread was veering slightly off topic</font>

Bleah~ wasnt criticising you in the least, you word it better than i do.

[This message has been edited by WhiteLancer (edited 02-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by WhiteLancer (edited 02-06-2001).]

Advertisement