Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of improving my gaeilge?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Just finished my LC, and I'm going to continue with Irish in college. I haven't come from a Gaeltacht school, but I've always loved Irish, and worked really hard at it, and would love to be fluent in it eventually. I'm pretty good at it, I came out with a B1 in HL in the LC, but I'm still pretty nervous about going into college, being completely submerged into Irish, probably with people with a higher standard of Irish than I would have.

Any tips on how to improve, and learn as much as I can? Kind of terrified! :confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

RachEnnis wrote: »
    Just finished my LC, and I'm going to continue with Irish in college. I haven't come from a Gaeltacht school, but I've always loved Irish, and worked really hard at it, and would love to be fluent in it eventually. I'm pretty good at it, I came out with a B1 in HL in the LC, but I'm still pretty nervous about going into college, being completely submerged into Irish, probably with people with a higher standard of Irish than I would have.

Any tips on how to improve, and learn as much as I can? Kind of terrified! :confused::(

I'm just curious, is it just Irish you're studying? I also just finished my LC and got an A1 in HL Irish, I was so delighted because that was really the only A1 i wanted :p And to think, I used to hate irish before 5th year!

I think being completely thrown into the deep end is a good thing, as it sort of forces you to try and grasp things a bit quicker. You just listen to irish radio, RnaG, Radio rí ra is like SPIN SW :P And try and watch TG4 if anything interests you. If your college has societies join the irish one(if they have one) and make an effort to just speak it. Don't think about things in your head, just blurt out anything. I used to be so self-concious about speaking it that I had to think of every little thing I would say before I said it, but that's no way to learn a language. You just need to be confident and don't be afraid to make mistakes either. Also, a B1 is pretty good. There'll probably be people there who have a lower standard than you so no need to worry.

I'm assuming irish courses bring you to the Gaeltacht often and I really think that that's the best way to learn irish. I only went for the first time last year and I loved it! I then did a cinnire course and became a cinnire during my easter holidays. It was such a good experience and I improved my irish by loads! So if you can, apply for a course(any course!) in the Gaeltacht :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Lucario wrote: »
    Don't think about things in your head, just blurt out anything. I used to be so self-concious about speaking it that I had to think of every little thing I would say before I said it, but that's no way to learn a language. You just need to be confident and don't be afraid to make mistakes either. Also, a B1 is pretty good. There'll probably be people there who have a lower standard than you so no need to worry.

I'm assuming irish courses bring you to the Gaeltacht often and I really think that that's the best way to learn irish. I only went for the first time last year and I loved it! I then did a cinnire course and became a cinnire during my easter holidays. It was such a good experience and I improved my irish by loads! So if you can, apply for a course(any course!) in the Gaeltacht :D

I strongly agree with both these pieces of advice. One option to explore might be to see if you can do something with the likes of Coláiste UISCE, near Belmullet - it's a year-round facility with a big emphasis on watersports and learning through activities rather than solely sitting in a classroom. Sailing a catamaran, building a surfboard etc ... if you are able to get any sort of work there it should stand to you and be enjoyable to boot.

NB I'm not connected to the place myself, but have visited it recently and sent youngsters from our youth club there - they loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Should have mentioned, Coláiste UISCE was the gaeltacht I went to. Really really good as you do so many water sports! You can do courses to become cinnires and instructors in sports like windsurfing, kayaking, sailing, etc.

Advertisement