Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on studying just an Irish module at 3rd level.

Options
  • 03-09-2012 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A Gaeilgeoir or someone in 3rd level Gaeilge might be able to help.

Ar dtús, tá brón orm on cheist a scríobh as Gaeilge, ach níl an am agam chun é a scríobh i gceart as Béarla. :o

Rinne mé staidéar ar an Léann Eorpach in 1999, and studied Irish and French.
    A year or so ago, I got my degree assessed by the Teaching Council as my Irish is no longer recognised by them. Crazy I know. My French is, my Irish is not.

So. I have no idea what to do. It would appear my undergrad Gaeilge is gone to waste, like I never studied it. Surely this can't be right?

Officially, according to the Teaching Council, would I have to study Irish again for 4 years for recognition? Surely my 4 years as Gaeilge can't have totally gone to waste?

If there is some middle ground and it's a case of me having to make up the credits, how could I do it? I'm in Limerick, but maybe there is something I could do online, or part time, if it were just a module...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

Could you register as an occasional student and pick Irish modules that you would like to do?
    How many credits do you need?
    I did some Irish modules in Maynooth as an occassional student, but just for my own pleasure. Got credits though.
    Form to be filled in and then the head of Irish department gives permission (hopefully) for one to register for modules as a mac léinn ócáideach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I lost the letter the teaching council sent me back a year ago so don't know the amount of credits I need :(

Advertisement