Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Irish river name

• 01-09-2012 8:49am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope somebody here can make some sense of this obsolete river name, which I came across in an 1801 historical volume.
    The name has long since passed from local memory.
    The spelling is as printed.

Aghat enaought

The author translated this as meaning "The river that drowned the old man."
    I can't see any relationship between this translation and the old name, apart possibly from 'Agh'/'Ath' (ford)?
    Your help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Logainm.ie are experts on placenames. They have a form where you can ask for translations. Give all the info you have and they may locate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's a big jump from "Aghat enaought" to "The river that drowned the old man." but it's all possible. :pac:

Irish spelling has developed an awful lot. At that stage it was all local dialects, spelling, pronunciation, and even the actual vocabulary were very different from one half of the country to another!

Best of luck finding more information. Post up if you find out anymore on the name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Áit an abhaic?...place of the hunchback?...[place where he died???]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I should have said that the Irish name for this particular river has probably not been used since before 1796, or thereabouts.
    Here's a screenshot of the original text where the author seems to give an alternative translation.
    I'm uncertain if aghat enaought refers to the river, or the ford.

0Vsts.png

The aghat could be from áit as MathsManiac pointed out or from achadh meaning a field. Achadh Bhó (the cow's field) in Co. Cork is now Aghaboe. Achadh Leathan ( the wide field) in Co. Fermanagh is now Aghalane.
    Having said that, it looks like he's refering to the river where there is a ford (áth). Could "the river, that drowned the old man" be part of a story he had previously mentioned and not a translation of "aghat enaought"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I don't think so.
    As far as I understand it, the author has translated the meaning, and there was no earlier mention of a story.
    I wonder could it be a derivation of "áth an aonach"?

slowburner wrote: »
    I don't think so.
    As far as I understand it, the author has translated the meaning, and there was no earlier mention of a story.
    I wonder could it be a derivation of "áth an aonach"?

Sounds good...it would be "Áth an Aonaigh" which is still close.
    Is there such a place?

No such place, or name exists today - as far as I know.

The river flows through gold bearing country (south Wicklow), and I wondered if there was any clue in the name which recognized that fact.
    Irish has not been spoken in the area for quite a bit more than two hundred years.
    Another author remarked on the absence of the Irish language here in the early C.19th, and how it was present in the surrounding counties.

I was at a funeral once in a south-west county Wicklow town called Knockananna. This is Cnoc an Eanaigh meaning The Hill of the Marsh. I cant remember if there was a river running through the town. If there is/was and if there was a ford there then Áth an Eanaigh could have been in use. Maybe I'm clutching at straws.
    Achadh Bheunnech (Field of the peaks) or Aghavannagh Hills as it is now, is also in that vicinity.

I don't think you have been clutching at straws at all.
    The ford of the marsh makes reasonably good sense, topographically, and the area is not a million miles from Knockananna, and quite close to Aughavannagh.
    Perhaps Áth an Eanaigh was the original meaning and some peculiar myth grew up around it?
    Might the prefix or root, 'Agh' or 'Augh' which is evident in Aughavannagh, and Aughrim have anything to do with it?
    Both are close enough to the site, at the foot of Croghan mountain.

• Advertisement

Aughrim/Eachroim is not the same as it's made up of each, a horse and druim, a back, together meaning horse-ridge.
    The achadh is always a field and always plentiful; the only Aghat I found, is Aghatubrid in Co Kerry which means 'field of the well' and from Achadh Tiobraid.

Advertisement